Re: AC Thermostat

  • dr_trrk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi Doctor,

      > Does DLE/DLS/DLX have thermostat for AC? In my DLE I never felt the
      > presence of a thermostat which cuts off the compressor when
      > sufficiently cooled.

      Only the DLX and LXi models (owners of petrol models can confirm
      this) have a separate control for thermostat. In all versions, there
      is a thermostat which cuts off the compressor when necessary.

      The only way to control the temperature in a DLE or DLS is to adjust
      the fan speed. Not a very efficient way, but that is how it is with
      the budget priced models.

      The AC in a Maruti 800 and the Uno are of this type. The Uno has a
      switch which looks as if it is a temperature control switch. But it
      works just like a on - off switch.

      Rajesh
      (V2 DLE, Feb 2001, 28935 kms, 14.6 kpl, Alleppey, Kerala)

      PS. I am a non practising doctor.
    • Dr.Thomas Jose
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 2002
        I have never felt the compressor cut off by itself!! Without a thermostat
        how is it possible? Who is deciding the 'necessity' ?At what temperature it
        cuts off the compressor?
        Jose.
        ______________________________________________________-

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
          Hi Doctor,

          > I have never felt the compressor cut off by itself!!

          That's a problem. There is no direct way to understand other than the
          speed reduction/increase on constant throttle when the compressor
          engages/disengages.

          The other way that I can feel is when I have the radio on. As soon as
          the compressor engages it kicks in the electric radiator fan and that
          makes a disturbance in the radio reception.

          Moreover, the compressor engagement/disengagement is felt more in the
          lower fan speeds.

          > Without a thermostat how is it possible?

          I think I confused you. There is no switch to ccontrol the thermostat
          directly. But there is a thermostat.

          > Who is deciding the 'necessity'? At what temperature it cuts off
          > the compressor?

          I hope there is somebody who has more technical knowledge to give
          proper answers to your above query. But I believe that thare is some
          sensor at the evaporator level which decides when to engage/disengage
          the compressor.

          Rajesh
        • Ravi Punjabi
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
            Hi Guys

            There is a sensor located around the cooling coil
            which actually senses the coolness & switches on &
            off.

            The switching on & off is like, say the temperature
            falls to 4 C due to cooling, the sensor switches off
            the compressor & re starts the compressor when
            temperature crosses 8 C.

            The advantage of this is that it allows the heat
            dissipator to cool down, so that it effectively
            dissipates heat. If the thermostat were not to work,
            there would be ice formation in the cooling coil & the
            A/C would stop cooling, since the flow of air would be
            blocked by the ice in the cooling coil.

            Warm Regds
            Ravi
            --- dr_trrk <dr_trrk@...> wrote:
            > Hi Doctor,
            >
            > > I have never felt the compressor cut off by
            > itself!!
            >
            > That's a problem. There is no direct way to
            > understand other than the
            > speed reduction/increase on constant throttle when
            > the compressor
            > engages/disengages.
            >
            > The other way that I can feel is when I have the
            > radio on. As soon as
            > the compressor engages it kicks in the electric
            > radiator fan and that
            > makes a disturbance in the radio reception.
            >
            > Moreover, the compressor engagement/disengagement is
            > felt more in the
            > lower fan speeds.
            >
            > > Without a thermostat how is it possible?
            >
            > I think I confused you. There is no switch to
            > ccontrol the thermostat
            > directly. But there is a thermostat.
            >
            > > Who is deciding the 'necessity'? At what
            > temperature it cuts off
            > > the compressor?
            >
            > I hope there is somebody who has more technical
            > knowledge to give
            > proper answers to your above query. But I believe
            > that thare is some
            > sensor at the evaporator level which decides when to
            > engage/disengage
            > the compressor.
            >
            > Rajesh

            http://health.yahoo.com
          • mehta anil
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2002
              Very nicely explained, Ravi. May I add a few points on how to judge when the
              compressor is cutoff and cuton by the thermostat :

              A change in the pickup / power will be felt.This change is much more
              perceptible in the Indica, as compared to other cars.
              There might be a low click / tic sound.
              The condensor fan will start when the compressor is cuton.

              Regards

              Anil

              --- dr_trrk <dr_trrk@...> wrote:
              > Hi Doctor,
              >
              > > I have never felt the compressor cut off by
              > itself!!
              >
              > That's a problem. There is no direct way to
              > understand other than the
              > speed reduction/increase on constant throttle when
              > the compressor
              > engages/disengages.

              The information contained in this message is BPCL's Confidential and
              Proprietary information and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
              named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
              he/she is hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or
              copying of this communication or any of its content is strictly prohibited.
              In such case, please advise the sender immediately and delete it from your
              system. Further acknowledges that any views expressed in this message are
              those of the individual sender and no binding nature of the message shall be
              implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due authority of
              BPCL.