Lesson learnt - Don't Ignore a Parking Brake Indicator

    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2013
      This happened on my DLG Turbo - Mar 2006 car, run about 66K kms. The parking brake indicator would come on periodically, and then started to persist almost permanently. I assumed this to be a fault with some switch or wiring, and ignored it thinking it a minor inconvenience. The idea was to have it fixed in the next service, due at 70K kms.

      I was wrong. Apparently, this will light up when the brake fluid level drops. The car was leaking brake fluid from a damaged rear brake cylinder. In a matter of days, the brakes turned ineffective, and the car would pull to the right on sharp braking. The brake pedal had to be depressed nearly all the way to the floor pan even for modest braking effort. I somehow managed to drive this car to the work-shop.

      What I should have done, in hindsight;

      1. Carefully inspected brake fluid level, and checked for leaks
      2. Topped up brake fluid and drive the car to the workshop at the earliest