Re: Hard clutch + Engine Hunting + Tyre brand + Windshield Insurance

  • Rahul
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2013
      I guess that it is recommended to change three things altogether, when a clutch is changed. In case your clutch is gone, it will be better to change clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing. I also suggest that you go for a new clutch cable, after verifying from a trusted mechanic whether it is responsible for lowering of the height of the clutch pedal. Please also see whether any simple adjustment will fix the height again permanently.
      Regarding the RPM issue, did you scan your car for OBD testing, with a computer at the TASC? Please remember to check the idler speed settings. I guess that the check engine light is surely not glowing?

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 26, 2013
        Well, I guess it would also depend on how old the assembly is. I had hired a driver temporarily (3 months), and he abused a fairly new clutch (about 8K kms since new). By about 20K kms, the clutch was all but useless.

        The TASC changed only friction plates, since the other elements were in sound condition. However, if the entire assembly is well worn, and server out its life, what you say will apply perfectly. Afterall, there would be a labour component each time the clutch is serviced.

        I guess that it is recommended to change three things altogether, when a clutch is changed. In case your clutch is gone, it will be better to change clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing. I also suggest that you go for a new clutch cable, after verifying from a trusted mechanic whether it is responsible for lowering of the height of the clutch pedal. Please also see whether any simple adjustment will fix the height again permanently.
        Regarding the RPM issue, did you scan your car for OBD testing, with a computer at the TASC? Please remember to check the idler speed settings. I guess that the check engine light is surely not glowing?
        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, peter harrison <peter_harri@...> wrote:

        > Hi Friends,
        >
        > Its been a long time I had posted here.
        >
        > My car has two problems. One is hard clutch and the TSAC says I need to change the pressure plates. The clutch pedal keeps going down withing 1 month of use even when its adjusted to the same height of the brake pedal.
        >
        > Secondly the RPM stays always at 1000 and the engine keeps hunting. Earlier the hunting happened only when the AC was ON. Now it keeps hunting and stays at 1000 RPM through out.
        >
        > Some replacements also needs to be done. The front left shocks need change. The rear left shock needs change I guess and I have noticed oil leaking from him for quite some weeks. Now I do not see anything, guess the whole oil has leaked.
        >

        > My car is 7 year old and its time to change the tyres, The OEM was Bridgestone they are practically bald. Since I drive only 10 km everyday 5 km up and down, I haven;t changed it yet. But need to do it after servicing. I need to go in for another set. Since the car runs only 10 km everyday and that too on weekdays, I would like to spend less for the tyre. So need some help is choosing the brand with the less price.
        >

        > The windshield need replacement as my son banged his head and its broken. Though the impact was less he could have hit it on a weak spot. Planning to use the insurance for this. Don;t know if it makes sense. My insurance premium is around 4000 every year now. Need to work and see if claiming insurance is  feasible.
        >

        > Thanks and regards,
        >
        > Peter Harrison
        >

        > ________________________________
        > Bangalore - INDICA-Turbo-DLX-Aug 2006 - Color Smoked Metal -(11.40kmpl City) - [69250km-60% A/C] - Ordinary Diesel - Daily Run 11Kms - {RPM maintained while driving in 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Gear is between 1250 - 2000} - Battery - (EXIDE 2011 Dec )- - < Puncture 6 > - < Tube replaced 1 > - [ Disc Steel OEM 14"] - [ Tyre Bridgestone OEM 165/65 R 14 ] - TASC - Hi-Tech Auto - Rajajinagar, Bangalore. Phone: 080-23125444 / 23125409 / 23128226
        >
        > Manza Club Class VX- Dec 2012 - Jet Silver

      • peter harrison
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2013
          Hi Rahul,

          Thanks for the reply. The check engine light does not glow. I have not done the OBD test. Changed the clutch cable multiple times. In fact the clutch issue started when i gave my car for server and a small component was changed in the clutch. I am planning to take it to the TASC and will sure have your observations in mind.

          Thanks again

          Thanks and regards,

          Peter Harrison

          Bangalore - INDICA-Turbo-DLX-Aug 2006 - Color Smoked Metal -(11.40kmpl City) - [67250km-60% A/C] - Ordinary Diesel - Daily Run 11Kms - {RPM maintained while driving in 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Gear is between 1250 - 2000} - Battery - (EXIDE 2011 Dec )- - < Puncture 6 > - < Tube replaced 1 > - [ Disc Steel OEM 14"] - [ Tyre Bridgestone OEM 165/65 R 14 ] - TASC - Hi-Tech Auto - Rajajinagar, Bangalore. Phone: 080-23125444 / 23125409 / 23128226