Re: [indica-users] Temp goes beyond Half Mark

  • srikumar Obla
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20 10:40 PM
      Hi Senthil,

      I am Srikumar from mumbai, You have not mentioned the Kms done.

      I have an Indica of 2004. My car has done 200,000 kms.  I had similar situation in Feb13.
      Temp shoots up to half very soon & I notice water boiling off, requiring frequent refill of it.

      On mechanics recommendation I ad the following done...

      1. Due to frequent running of the radiator fan, it failed & had that replaced (Rs. 4700)

      2.I had the radiator cleaned (Rs. 650)
      3. Fill coolant/ water in proper proportion, avoid using (only) water which I often use to...

      With all these done my car hardly heats up on long drive (@ 80kmph or more), I do notice car heating up faster in lower gears/ in city traffic but cools off as I move to higher gears. As per my experience prolonged running will damage the engine!

      You may start with radiator cleaning first & then if required change the radiator fan.

      Hope this helps.

      Regards,
      SrikumarOK

      Request experienced bloggers to correct me If I am wrong..

      -----------------------------

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20 10:52 PM
        I have also done all the above plus changed the thermostat of radiator. Please also check the radiator thermostat for it starts the radiator fan. Reg/ Murthy
        Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

        I have Indica DLS model 2003 Nov. Recently the temp mark shows slightly higher than the Half mark code. When it crosses the half mark, the fan started running and then the temp comes to Half Mark and then increases slighltly. I have checked the coolent oil. It was less. Hence I top up the coolent oil to Max mark level. But still the temp raise beyond half mark and then come to half mark is happening. What could be the other reasons the temp goes high? Please let me know. Thanks.

        Regards,
        Senthil

      • Sandeep Mishra
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20 11:14 PM
          Pls check engine head for holes.....this might be the reason I faced the
          same and there were holes in the head which caused the problems.....u can
          get the head repaired as they will do welding and close the
          holes....charges 1500 for head service ,surfacing n labour + spares approx
          1000 rs + head gasket 850
          Meckanic will charge 500 max........

          Regards,
          Sandeep Mishra

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21 4:30 AM
            The car is old enough to warrant a thorough cleaning of the radiator - there could be some fouling within which limits the radiator's ability to transfer heat to its original specification. That's the first thing I'd look at.

            Another method that can be tried - temporarily - and I do emphasise on temporarily - have the thermostat completely removed. The car should need much longer to warm up from cold. While this isn't great for your engine or the planet - during peak Indian summers this is sometimes the only pragmatic option.

            It is quite possible that the behaviour you see is normal (or within variation of normal) for your operating conditions and equipment age. If the temperature does not approach the danger mark there is nothing to be alarmed about. Nonetheless, if you'd prefer the fan to turn on sooner, temporary fixes are possible.