Re: Re: [indica-users] Poor Salesmanship by Tata

  • arvind upreti
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 19, 2013
      I am in love with my Xeta which I bought in the year Jan 2007.Still no complaints as I always used it as a Bull Worker.But definitely whenever i will go in for a replacement it will be Ertiga.
      Last six years has made me wise that whatever world class product you can have,but if it has to be taken for servicing,the very first service can just put you off.
      Xeta excellent product but I trust a roadside mechanic more than their dealers.

      Arvind
      Xeta GVS Jan 2007 14kmpl (mixed use) 66K+

      From:james.r
      To:indica-users@yahoogroups.com
      Subject:Re: [indica-users] Poor Salesmanship by Tata

      Hi Abhay,

      Ertiga & Aria are not SUVs. They can be considered as MUVs :-)

      Regards,
      james.r
      On 18 March 2013 17:23, abhay singh <abhay_911@...> wrote:

      > **
      >
      > Hi
      >
      > Just wanted to update on the recent incident where I was helping my
      > colleague to shortlist SUVs in the range of 10 Lacs (Ex Showroom) for him.
      > We initially zeroed on Ertiga to be VFM car but somehow, my colleague
      > started looking at more sturdy looking SUVs when I advised him to look at
      > Aria - Pure version which comes at ex-showroom cost of approx 10 lacs at
      > par with Scorpio LX and has more features and better ride quality.
      >
      > We requested for a test drive on their website where I gave my contact
      > details. I expected that Aria being their most premium brand and March
      > being their target month, we can expect early response from their sales
      > team. However, it being 5 days, we havent received a single call from them
      > offering us a test drive. Only response I have received is autoresponder
      > email and SMS from them.
      >
      > Now, I wonder what TATA is doing to get back their position that they lost
      > out to Toyota in Feb. They really need to gear up to survive in this market
      > where new models are coming up every day.
      >
      > Regards
      > Abhay Singh
      > --

      Regards,
      james.r
      "Sparky", IndicaV2 DLE, BS-II, 71.0 K KM, TN23 AA 6946, Feb05.
      "Quirky", SafariEX(MFL), BS-III, 42.0 K KM, TN23 AJ 7360, Mar10.

    • abhay singh
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 20, 2013
        Took a Test Drive of Aria - Pleasure Version after receiving a call from a dealership from Gurgaon. It has enormous space inside. Drove well but has a initial lag if compared to XUV. Interiors are below par for a 12 Lacs + (Ex Showroom) vehicle. The Test Vehicle was not attractive at all as it had dirty interiors, exteriors where not cleaned and the engine looked as if it was not serviced for quite sometime (it had done 7k kms).

        He mentioned that his showroom sells 4-5 Tata Arias per month. They are currently offering 2 Lacs discount on the vehicle including 50k for exchange bonus. Worst part was that we were looking for details on Pure LX variant that Tata has been promoting online @ a cost of 9.96 lacs. However, the representative mentioned that the Pure LX has not reached any showroom till now and no training has been imparted on same. Moreover, even the pamphlets are not available for Pure LX.

        Lets hope that Tata brings some discipline in their sales process and servicing.

        Regards
        Abhay Singh

      • gautam singh
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2013
          I'm not surprised at all !!

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
            This made for a good read. The article suggests that people from commercial vehicle division were moved into the passenger car business, and drove the latter segment with business tactics of the former. As you'd expect, didn't quite work.

            http://forbesindia.com/article/boardroom/karl-slym-has-a-fix-for-the-ailing-tata-motors/35221/1

          • Achin Juneja
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
              Good article, Dev.
              Please read it again. Have posted a comment on it...giving my view.

              Regards,
              Achin Juneja

              On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
              > This made for a good read. The article suggests that people from commercial vehicle division were moved into the passenger car business, and drove the latter segment with business tactics of the former. As you'd expect, didn't quite work.
              >
              > http://forbesindia.com/article/boardroom/karl-slym-has-a-fix-for-the-ailing-tata-motors/35221/1

            • Vipin Verma
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                I agree with your comment. There is a disconnect between consumer and think
                tanks of Tata Motors. The focus is missing in their actions. In order to
                gain their lost grounds, they have to come up with innovative designs. They
                took average advantage of their nano model, whereas they could have taken a
                lead on that.

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Greetings Achin Sir,

                  That's actually a great idea to leave feedback right at the article's page. (I hadn't realised that comments are still open). I think it would be a good idea if all of us at TIUG vented a bit out there, while comments are still open. And, as one would expect, your comment was succinct and to the point!

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                    You are so right, Dev.
                    Let us all let them know what we feel --- right there on that article page.

                    Regards,
                    Achin Juneja

                    On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
                    > Greetings Achin Sir,
                    >
                    > That's actually a great idea to leave feedback right at the article's page. (I hadn't realised that comments are still open). I think it would be a good idea if all of us at TIUG vented a bit out there, while comments are still open. And, as one would expect, your comment was succinct and to the point!
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Dev
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Aditya Dhavale
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                      HI Dev,
                      Good article...! But not all the failures were because CVBU guys started
                      making cars...!. Decision making and too many people trying to sell their
                      own ideas randomly is the main reason of this failure.
                      PCBU or now PVBU has its own set of highly skilled engineers and employees
                      but a general lack of direction from the top management is what i guess the
                      main reason to fail. What they should have done is to reduce the portfolio
                      and strive to improve much needed world class quality in design,
                      engineering , production and assembly. Then once that was established, they
                      should have increased the portfolio gradually. Products like the Sumo
                      grande, Venture, Aria were not needed in our portfolio.
                      Anyways we can expect a brand new version of our beloved Indica in a new
                      dashing avataar soon along with other models...things are changing
                      hopefully...:)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                        Hi Aditya,

                        Thanks for the inputs, but how do you know so much ? :-) Are you, or were you, with TM?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                          Looks like you are :-) If there's one thing I'd like Tata to do, is a bigger engine block for the Manza. It's a car as spacious as the corolla, with a puny little engine. Everyone seems to be installing Pete's tuning box on these cars. Why not be the first to add one of the larger of the blocks from the JTD line? Or better yet, something from your own JLR portfolio? I considered buying one several times, but held back because of this reason.

                          The oil change interval on the Manza has been reduced to 10K kms, that tells me these puny engines are wearing out prematurely lugging all that metal around.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                            Yeah I work as an Industrial Designer with Tata Motors.

                            Regards,

                            Sent from my iPad

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                              It great to know we have someone from TM in our group! I do expect, perhaps unreasonably, that you'll be a bit of an evangelist for the issues and concerns of this group within your company (to the extent feasible).

                              regards,

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                                Dev,

                                Iv been a customer first and then a Tata employee...so I know exactly how each and everyone feels in this group. Iv had more than my share of dealing with Tata after sales and service.

                                Anyways, ours is a very small department in the ERC which works on the future shape and styling of Tata cars and CVs.

                                Borrowing a Jtd engine from Fiat is expensive and same with a JLR engine. It's high time that we come out with our own turbo diesels and petrols. The manza 90hp engine already is a high spinning unit as it uses a Vario-geometry turbo. To add a Petes box and make it make more power sounds kinda scary. That's why these engines don't probably last long enough.

                                Sent from my iPad

                              • Deepak R Umrankar
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 2, 2013
                                  Hi Aditya,

                                  When you asked me if I am working for TML, I had an inkling that you might be associated with TML some way or the other. Just two queries if you don't mind. How long have you been associated with TML as an employee & as a customer (owning an Indica)?

                                  Best Regards
                                  Deepak Umrankar