Re: [indica-users] Buying a new car ... to think or not to think Tata

  • Prasad Ranade
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi Akshay,

      That was a great lesson in customer management skills.

      Cheers.

      Prasad

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi Group

        Having recently shifted from 6 yrs ownership of Tata Indica (GVS) to VW Polo (Treadline), the biggest query I fought was to buy a Tata again or not. I quite liked Indica Vista (VX) but the only thing that stopped me the buy a Tata again was the attitude of TASC who come across as the most unfriendly people. The style of working is real desi, still they charge people like me who are not experts on cars, with hefty bills.

        This was the only reason I did not even try out even a Fiat Punto (which was one of the cars I shortlisted) as I wanted to avoid going back to TASC.

        Tata makes great products at affordable cost. But, all that seems to be lacking is getting TASCs to bring their act in order. I have driven Sumo for 10 years and Indica being my first own purchase. I was saddened to see their ranking slip to 5th position for the month of Feb'13. I was not able to understand how come a brand like Toyota with mass brands like Etios and Liva get past Tata?

        Its time they gear up to get back their competition or it will be too late for them.

        Regards
        Abhay Singh
        VW Polo Treadline  (Apr 2012),
        20,000 Kms, 20kmpl,

        >________________________________

      • mansooralia
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
          Hi Deepak,

          A real Eye Opener.

          Are you in Bangalore?

          Thanks,

          Mansoor Ali A

          --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Deepak R Umrankar <deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mansoor,
          >
          > Yes, I know about Nissan Evalia, but I would never consider it for the following reasons:
          >
          > • Boxy looks & sliding rear doors give it a commercial van look & feel, cannot take such vehicle for daily office commute
          > • Middle row missing basics like roll-down windows, A/C vents and door armrests
          > • Thin 165/80 R14 tyres are a joke on an MUV of this size
          > • Nissan's patchy dealer network & service quality
          >
          > Most importantly the price. The base variant of the Evalia,  XE starts at 8.70 lakhs (ex-showroon Delhi), this is exactly where the top end diesel Ertiga (ZDi) is priced at & the Ertiga offers much more.
          >
          > Proof of the pudding is in eating. Ertiga is consistently clocking 6000 units in monthly sales whereas the Evalia is languishing at less than 200 units a month, no comparison.
          >
          > Now the only close competition for the Ertiga would apparently come from the Chevy Enjoy, but to succeed it has to offer a lot more than the Ertiga at a very competitive price.
          >

          > Best Regards
          > Deepak Umrankar
          >

          > Indica V2/ DLX Model/ July'04/ 122K km/ 19.38 kmpl(last tankful FE)
          > Car standing idle in parking for three months (Jan-Mar 2013)
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Gopalkrishnan
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
            Hi Abhay,

            How has been your experience with the Polo -- both its performance and the quality of VW's service?

            I too had thought of the Vista as my next car, but my son is keen that I go for the Polo. Not that it is immediate since I continue to be very happy with my Swift VDi.

            Regards,

            Gopi
            (Indica DL"S", Sept 1999 - Aug 2007, 44,534 km, 14.14 kpl, Chennai)
            (Maruti Swift VDi, From Sept 2007, 27,480 km, 16.11 kpl, Chennai)

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
              Hi Abhay/Gopi,

              Even though TASC cheat at most of the places, doesn't VWASC do it formaly.
              Can you compare the paid service charges with TASC. Moreover you pay some
              premium during the initial purchase itself. Sorry, this is not intented to
              hurt anyone but at the end its all the same everywhere.
              On 5 March 2013 17:55, Gopalkrishnan <gopigita@...> wrote:

              > **
              >
              > Hi Abhay,
              >
              > How has been your experience with the Polo -- both its performance and the
              > quality of VW's service?
              >
              > I too had thought of the Vista as my next car, but my son is keen that I
              > go for the Polo. Not that it is immediate since I continue to be very happy
              > with my Swift VDi.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Gopi
              > (Indica DL"S", Sept 1999 - Aug 2007, 44,534 km, 14.14 kpl, Chennai)
              > (Maruti Swift VDi, From Sept 2007, 27,480 km, 16.11 kpl, Chennai)

              james.r
              "Sparky", IndicaV2 DLE, BS-II, 71.0 K KM, TN23 AA 6946, Feb05.
              "Quirky", SafariEX(MFL), BS-III, 42.0 K KM, TN23 AJ 7360, Mar10.

            • abhay singh
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                Hi Gopi

                The Experience has been great so far... Have run the vehicle 20k kms in 11 months so far. 20kms per litre on my daily commute from Faridabad to Gurgaon (75kms to & fro) . Its very comfortable and unlike some of the reviews on the car forums -  like team-bhp.com - it drives pretty well once it touchers1500 RPM. I took the vehicle from Delhi to Lucknow during rainy season and it took all the pot holes and we three (I, my wife and 18 months old baby) did not feel any jerk inside the vehicle. I have driven the vehicle at 140 kms and it was ready for more... Interiors are not plush, but you get a sedan like feeline sitting inside as the plastic quality is very premium. Boot space is enormous and you can easily carry two three suitcases in a trip.

                Now, even Comfortline range is available with 15 inch Tyres which makes its ground clearance very good. They have placed spacers in my car to lift it by 1 inch to increase the ground clearance in Treadline variant with 14 inch wheel.

                The Service Centres have been good so far... Went for 15k service (First One) and was charged Rs.10.7k for complete service including Wheel alignment and balancing. Everything - from Vaccum draining the engine oil to vehicle performance check - is automated and no desi work happens there. One interesting stuff... They identify the cars eligible for a particular upgrade (both software and hardware) as soon as the job card is opened against the vehicle. Eg: My cars software was upgraded automatically as the job card auto-mentioned that thru the engine number. Some Cars where undergoing change of seat chasis (steel frame below the seat) FOC as that was highlighted by the backend team as faulty for certain lot of cars. I do not think we can expect such behaviour in workshops of Tata or Maruti (no offence). I remember one fellow member had to run from pillar to post after taking delivery of faulty Manza (Brand New) that was pulling towards one side of
                road. I have paid between Rs.3-5k in every 5000 interval service on my petrol Indica. Looking at that, VW service cost looks fine.

                I shall visit them this month to take the extended warranty before mu car turns 1.

                Regards
                Abhay Singh

                >________________________________

              • abhay singh
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                  Hi James

                  To your point, even I used to think that VW Polo is a overpriced car. But, after I own one, I know that each buck has been worth it. The kind of tiniest features it has, sales person doesnt even explain it to you during demo as they think it to be a normal and must have features... Eg: Road side parking - You may switch on parking light on the one side of your car that falls on road so that it is visible to passing vehicle. Saves battery life... A great feature specially for our kind of markets/ road side parkings but I figured it out after one month. You lock the door from drivers end, people inside can still open it but people outside cannot. it is a very important feature where road accidents happen anytime and in most cases people get stuck in the car due to central locking getting jammed. For kids they advise back seat child lock.

                  As far as service centres are concerned, yes the charge approx 10-11k every 15000kms service. But, you return with confidence that things are fine unlike my precious experience, where I used to shell out 3-5k for every 5k service of my Xeta. Still cribbing about the quality of service.

                  VW is expensive and I have definitely not done enough Kms on Polo to feel so confident of its service quality. All I'm trying to state is that I have spent whole day at VW service looking at their service procedure and at no point a thought came in my mind that work is not upto the mark; which is what most of us have faced at TASC.

                  Regards
                  Abhay Singh

                • Deepak R Umrankar
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                    Hi Mansoor,

                    No, I am based in Pune, but currently out of country. Would be back in Pune on 26th March.

                    Best Regards
                    Deepak Umrankar

                  • Deepak R Umrankar
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                      Hi Abhay/Gopi,

                      I totally agree with what James has mentioned below. VW cars not only command a premium upfront, but their service charges are exorbitantly high. You won't believe, but following are some of the facts @ VW:
                      1. They do not offer any free service on a brand new car out of the showroom.
                      2. Though service intervals are longer (15K kms), each service costs to the north of INR 10K (just the regular oil change service)
                      3. I have seen the actual service invoices & VW charges labor @ INR per minute (e.g Interior cleaning @ INR 3.50/min would cost you INR 1550.50 + INR 191.64 (service tax) = INR 1742.14 for cleaning job involving 443 minutes)

                      Abhay, we would like to know how has been your experience till now as far as the servicing costs are concerned.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                        Hi Deepak
                        I completely agree on the high maintenance that these cars come with.

                        - Free service for Maruti and Tata are for a year and half or 10k kms where you don't end up getting any work done barring free checkup and yes free labour cost during 10k service.
                        - Due to longer interval of service the comparative hike in maintenance cost would be 15-20 paise per km.
                        - interior cleaning chg for Polo is Rs.1000 which I enquired from SA during last service.

                        There are obviously some positives and some negatives with each brand that you have to live with.

                        My email on the total experience on the Polo is in draft. Shall send it across today.

                        Regards
                        Abhay
                        Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 5, 2013
                          Hi Abhay,

                          Thanks for your clarification & good to know that you are happy with your car. I agree with you that every car brand/model has its own pros & cons & one has to choose that car, which suits his needs the most. Sadly VW (FolksWagon), which means "people's car" & is widely perceived as a common man's car in the whole of Europe has tried to play the premium card here in India, with its initial offerings of the Jettas & Passats. They continued the same, even with their entry level cars like Vento & Polo, trying to cash in on the German quality & engineering. But then this quality comes at a price (not just the initial cost, but the recurring maintenance cost). If one is ready to pay the price, then he will definitely go for these cars. However I am afraid most of us (Indians) are not

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Dear Dr. Kar,

                            Good to hear from the group pioneer after what seems like ages.

                            Having owned three Indicas, perhaps I can hazard a reply to the questions you pose.

                            Without doubt, the Indica isn't the best built of cars. The early models had serious issues. However, I have been encouraged by Tatas integrity, in that they retrofit most changes free of cost. About the ownership experience itself - while this car does need more attention, the parts are pretty cheap in comparison to Japanese vehicles. To give you an example, a friend recently had brake discs changed on his honda city - parts and labour worked out to about 18,000 rupees. A similar job on the Indica would be no more than 1800 rupees! A factor of 10!

                            And, for me, the clinching argument - Tata cars are pretty safe and known to be so. The same can't be said about small/mid-sized cars from other manufacturers with any degree of certainty. I do realise that this can be a contentious issue, and I'm willing to elaborate.

                            Thanks,

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 7, 2013
                              Deepak,

                              Thanks! DLE took all of 8 years and 1 month to scale 100k km.

                              As an update, the gear-shifting problem I had mentioned as resolved on 28 Jan, raised its head again two days back. The clutch pedal travel had also reduced. My mechanic adjusted it again, but warned me that it was the last time the adjustment could be made. So the clutch job is now looming…

                              Regards,
                              Sameer.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 9, 2013
                                Hi All
                                Few facts
                                During last month i searched for all small car segments and still feel that as far as diesel variants concerned Vista is the best

                                @Polo owners - do you feel any problem like door noise? or noise in engine cabin?
                                I had test drive for vento - demo car only travelled for 5k and has considerable noise in door as well as in engine compartment
                                surprisingly vento demo car tested was petrol variant.

                                regards
                                abhay

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 9, 2013
                                  Hi Abhay

                                  What happened to your new car purchase? It would have been at least 3-4 months now that you sold your Indica, correct me if I am wrong. Which all cars have you test driven till now? Any car shortlisted? Have you test driven the Quanto? If you are fine to live with its odd boxy  design, then I have heard that it is a hoot to drive. It has a very good low end torque, despite of the 1.5 litres, 98 BHP engine.

                                  Best Regards
                                  Deepak Umrankar

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 9, 2013
                                    Hi Abhay,

                                    I had an indica DLE circa 1999 which I sold for 80K and had a run of 85000. Subsequently was in the same quandry of which car to buy. Considered the vento and the skoda rapid, and eventually settled for the diesel versin of the rapid. Miles ahead in engineering from the indica and get the same feeling of security but yet miss the feeling of spaciousness that the indica cabin offers and the boot space that is available once you roll down the seats double fold. I did not have a 60:40 split of the seats then but guess thats available in the newer versions of the vista. Else no problems in the new car except that the maintenance charges could get daunting once they kick in.

                                    I chose the rapid over the vento becos of the price factor and also because I felt the vento suspension was way too soft compared with the skoda. Rest nothing to choose between the two. Also I heard skoda Torque Motors (Gujarat) is offering Fabia free after 5 years if you buy the Rapid now.....Wish on the Vista they offered a Nano free after a Year. I would opt for the Vista immediately......LOL

                                    Cheers and hope you make the decision fast. Buying a new car is worse then making the choice of a suitable partner in the marriage market. This is strictly my opinion and lot of the group may not support this statement

                                    PR

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 9, 2013
                                      Hi Prasad,

                                      >Buying a new car is worse
                                      then making the choice of a suitable partner in the marriage market.
                                      This is strictly my opinion and lot of the group may not support this
                                      statement.

                                      I for one absolutely agree with your above statement. You won't believe, choosing my life partner was a split second decision, but for choosing my first car, I spend weeks together if not months. However I don't repent my decision in both the cases.

                                      However choosing my second car is proving to be a lot tougher. I am one of those rare species who doesn't like to change their cars frequently. My current steed will complete 9 years this July & could well be with me till it sees its tenth birthday. I have been on the lookout for an upgrade for at least 2-3 years now but don't have the gumption to go for it just yet. Till then I will continue my research & get bogged down by the vast plethora of choices, which are only going to multiply in the days & months to come.

                                      Best Regards
                                      Deepak Umrankar

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 12, 2013
                                        Hi Abhay M

                                        I have a Polo Treadline (D) which has done 21k kms as of date... No door noise has been noticed so far. Engine noise is similar to any other Diesel variant. However, once you are inside the car with windows rolled up, you would not hear the engine noise at all.

                                        Regards
                                        Abhay Singh