Re: [indica-users] Re: 120K kms service done

  • V.G.DHAS
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 5, 2012
      hi
      thank u. i meant engine service manual that gives details about the idi 475 engine in Indica.
      regards

      V.G.DHAS

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 6, 2012
        You will need the shop manual for that. Tatas supply this only to TASCs, not to the general public. If you have a good relationship with a TASC, you can have the pages of interest photocopied for reference.

        can any share the Indica engine service manual.
        regards

        V.G.DHAS

      • Deepak R Umrankar
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 7, 2012
          Friends,

          One more update after the 120K km service. Yesterday morning while cleaning the car I noticed few oil drops on the parking floor. On taking a closer look I found a drop of oil hanging from the engine oil drain plug. I also saw a couple of drops underneath the gear box. It seems the oil has started leaking from various points, & its both the engine oil & the gear box oil. I called up Harish (garage owner) & explained him the situation. He told me to get the car to his garage early in the morning today, so that it can be taken up on the ram & the underbody observed for the oil leakage points. I was suspecting both the drain plugs, that of engine oil & the gear box oil would not have been secured tightly & oil might be leaking from there.

          I visited the garage today early in the morning. When the car was raised on the ram, my suspicion of both oils leaking was converted into a reality.

          The engine oil seemed to be dripping at the drain plug, however the source of leakage was not the drain plug (it was sufficiently tight), but above it where the black rubber,  "L" pipe from the alternator connects to the engine & it is clamped by a round clip. When I got the alternator serviced from Lucas TVS last Saturday, the mechanic there probably forgot to tighten the round clips at both the ends of this pipe. Sunday & Monday it was fine, but it started leaking slowly from Tuesday. Fortunately it was just dripping & there wasn't any significant drop in the engine oil level, as could be confirmed from the oil level on the oil dip stick.

          Now the second leakage was from the gear box (trans-axle). The full outer casing of the gear box was smudged in oil & it was leaking from the breather pipe at the top & not from the bottom drain plug (as I thought it to be). The breather pipe was not sitting firmly in its seat due to the smudge/dirt accumulated & with the car bouncing the oil leaked from there. The mechanic then removed the breather pipe, cleaned it thoroughly & applied a red pasted around the portion where it seats in the hole on gear box. This would make a good seal & prevent the oil leakage from there. Fortunately the gearbox oil level was also found to be OK & there was very minor loss due to oil just dripping.

          Sorry I didn't carry the camera, hence could not take any pictures. Hopefully both the oil leaks have been fixed. Will have to keep a close watch on the parking floor to check if any fresh oil drops get accumulated there or not. Will keep you posted.

          Best Regards
          Deepak Umrankar

          Indica V2/ DLX Model/ July'04/ 121K km/ 19.04 kmpl(last tankful FE)
          "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 7, 2012
            Thanks for sharing this Deepak. Any ideas what that red paste was?

            Along the same lines, but off-topic. Today I had taken my Jeep for its first service after the engine rebuild. One complaint I had was that the idle wouldn't hold steady when cold, and the engine would shut off three or four times. The priming pump has to be worked for each cold start. Anyway, the fuel lines were removed from the fuel filter, and replaced. However, the problem still would not go away. Eventually, this was a traced to Banjo union that would not seat properly, in spite of aggressive tightening. The mechanic then applied some valve grinding paste to the threads of the fastener and that seemed to fix the issue.

            If I'm not wrong this is some kind of abrasive. I have not clue how it worked. The fuel filter arrangement in my Jeep is very similar to that of the Indica, so some members with air leaks may find this information useful. If your car plays up after substantial intervals between starts, and the kicker always seems lose, you may have a leak in your fuel lines.