Re: [indica-users] Fw: Sujay's Indigo - 3 lakh kms & beyond

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
      Hi Sujay,

      Just call me Dev :-)

      The engine will be rebuilt by replacing pistons, ring, sleeves and possibly con-rods. You should ask for the head to be checked thoroughly. Any evidence of warpage, go for a mild facing.

      If history is a guide, your next rebuild will be after 6L kms :-) If you wish to hold on to the car, you could consider having the crankshaft machined and installing undersized main bearings. If  you plan on selling it, don't bother if the crankshaft seems ok, and there isn't significant loss of oil pressure at the bearing.

      As you say, you TASC is very competent. Do discuss these points with him and make a call based on expense involved and expectations of future ownership. Depending on how old the clutch is, you could consider replacement to complete the "as new" experience.

      One additional factor - Tatas have facility where you could swap your old engine for a remanufactured unit. It's quite tempting, considering the much lower vehicle downtime is. However, I have been told that your own experience will vary greatly, depending on the health of the block and head that the factory started with. You can perhaps get an expert to make a call based on how good a state of wear your own block is in. Of particular interest is how true the cylinder bores are, and if there are any cracks. If there are no glaring issues, it may be worth the wait having your own engine rebuilt.

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2012
        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
        > Hi Sujay, One additional factor - Tatas have facility where you could swap your old engine for a remanufactured unit. It's quite tempting, considering the much lower vehicle downtime is. However, I have been told that your own experience will vary greatly, depending on the health of the block and head that the factory started with. You can perhaps get an expert to make a call based on how good a state of wear your own block is in. Of particular interest is how true the cylinder bores are, and if there are any cracks. If there are no glaring issues, it may be worth the wait having your own engine rebuilt.
        #### I think this is the link to see the approximate cost, as per the Tata customer care site:-
        http://customercare.tatamotors.com/recommendations/reconAggre.asp
        Regards,
        Rahul
      • sujay raina
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
          hi Dev,
          the tasc service manager and the owner are just like family friends to me
          now the manager told me that the recon engine is now worth the price as you
          actually dont know what problems the engine had faced during its previous
          life and problems may come up with time ,I have been suggested to get my
          own engine rebuilt as when he had opened up the engine for the valve
          replacement he said the condition inside is pretty good and was insisting
          that in case i dont want to spend much a ring job will also do ,but i feel
          that engine is not a part that can and should be opened time and again as
          its not worth the time and labour you spend each time thus thinking to get
          the complete engine rebuilt and stay assured for some more miles.Thanks
          foir all your support and will keep you updated on what i do and what all i
          get done to my vehicle.
          regards .....
          sujay raina.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
            Hi Sujay,

            Yes, I have also been advised along the same lines. You'll be able to make out the true condition of your block only when the sleeves are removed - check for how true the bore is.

            Also, the crankshaft machining and head facing will need a good deal of expertise. This is something a TASC won't do in-house but get it done from an outside shop. I have heard that machinists in Jallandhar are very good, you could try and locate an expert out there. This is where the Tata's would have advantage, since this would likely be done on CNC equipment, where human skill is of relatively less consequence.

            Other than that, the engine rebuilt is straightforward these days, with replaceable liners.

            You were right to opt for a full rebuild, since the pistons would almost certainly have lost shape by now.

            How did the valves get bent? Was it from a broken timing belt, or from engine over-revving?

            Thanks,

            the tasc service manager and the owner are just like family friends to me
            now the manager told me that the recon engine is now worth the price as you
            actually dont know what problems the engine had faced during its previous
            life and problems may come up with time ,I have been suggested to get my
            own engine rebuilt as when he had opened up the engine for the valve
            replacement he said the condition inside is pretty good and was insisting
            that in case i dont want to spend much a ring job will also do ,but i feel
            that engine is not a part that can and should be opened time and again as
            its not worth the time and labour you spend each time thus thinking to get
            the complete engine rebuilt and stay assured for some more miles.Thanks
            foir all your support and will keep you updated on what i do and what all i
            get done to my vehicle.
            regards .....
            sujay raina.

            On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Rahul <rahul_4640@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
            > > Hi Sujay, One additional factor - Tatas have facility where you could
            > swap your old engine for a remanufactured unit. It's quite tempting,
            > considering the much lower vehicle downtime is. However, I have been told
            > that your own experience will vary greatly, depending on the health of the
            > block and head that the factory started with. You can perhaps get an expert
            > to make a call based on how good a state of wear your own block is in. Of
            > particular interest is how true the cylinder bores are, and if there are
            > any cracks. If there are no glaring issues, it may be worth the wait having
            > your own engine rebuilt.
            > #### I think this is the link to see the approximate cost, as per the Tata
            > customer care site:-
            > http://customercare.tatamotors.com/recommendations/reconAggre.asp
            > Regards,
            > Rahul

          • sujay raina
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
              Hi Dev,
              the valves were bent when the alternator belt broke and got struck into the
              timing belt and which let to timing belt failure and resulted in 3 bent
              valves .The initial tdi models had a plastic type covering behind the
              alternator pulley at times when the belt would break it may hit hard the
              plastic and pass through it to the other side the newer models have
              a metallic covering after my timing belt failure i got my cover changed to
              the new one .

            • ajay kumar
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                ------------------------------
                On Mon 3 Dec, 2012 9:49 AM IST sujay raina wrote:

                >Hi Dev,
                >the valves were bent when the alternator belt broke and got struck into the
                >timing belt and which let to timing belt failure and resulted in 3 bent
                >valves .The initial tdi models had a plastic type covering behind the
                >alternator pulley at times when the belt would break it may hit hard the
                >plastic and pass through it to the other side the newer models have
                >a metallic covering after my timing belt failure i got my cover changed to
                >the new one .
                >
                >On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> Hi Sujay,
                >>
                >> Yes, I have also been advised along the same lines. You'll be able to make
                >> out the true condition of your block only when the sleeves are removed -
                >> check for how true the bore is.
                >>
                >> Also, the crankshaft machining and head facing will need a good deal of
                >> expertise. This is something a TASC won't do in-house but get it done from
                >> an outside shop. I have heard that machinists in Jallandhar are very good,
                >> you could try and locate an expert out there. This is where the Tata's
                >> would have advantage, since this would likely be done on CNC equipment,
                >> where human skill is of relatively less consequence.
                >>
                >> Other than that, the engine rebuilt is straightforward these days, with
                >> replaceable liners.
                >>
                >> You were right to opt for a full rebuild, since the pistons would almost
                >> certainly have lost shape by now.
                >>
                >> How did the valves get bent? Was it from a broken timing belt, or from
                >> engine over-revving?
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >>
                >> Dev
                >>
                >> ________________________________

                Congrats Sujay for such a massive achievement.My friend's indica which was a tourist taxi is undergoing engine overhaul now at 1.35kms on the odo.Its obvious from your narraton that the reason for such a prolonged engine life is nothing but the oil change intervals,which kept the wear of parts to a minimum.I do change oil in every 7K,and feel no issues with the engine yet.Infact,Tata should ve considered to rebuild your engine at their cost as s reward.
                Regds,
                Ajay.
              • ajay kumar
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                    hi ajay,
                    thanks ,and i hope your words could come true and tata would rebuild my
                    engine i would be the happiest man on earth but i dont think thats
                    possible .Any ways thanks and yes i too feel that its the oil change
                    interval that kept it going strong till now