NA Indica Engine Appears to NOT heat

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
      Folks,

      I recently had a major job done on my Nov00 DLE. Longitudinals were replaced, for which the car was essentially stripped bare and then put together again. In addition, I had the roof lining and carpets replaced. The cooling system was cleaned. Prior to this service, the radiator fan would come on after about 8-9 kms of driving during the day time, typically when I hit congestion in the central business district. My commute now is longer and more suburban. About 9 kms of this route is what could be called city traffic, and essentially the same as my previous commute, the remainder is suburban.

      It takes me 40 minutes to complete this drive, at off-peak hours. Speeds vary all the way from crawling to 80 kph. Most section would be driven between 40-60. What I find is that the fan doesn't come on during the entire 23 kms of my route, if I have the AC running. If I do not have the AC running, the fan might come on maybe one time in five rides, toward the end of the commute.

      Other members who have NA cars may please advise if this seems normal, or I should have the thermostat looked at.

      Thanks,

    • Achin Juneja
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
        The radiator fan switches ON whenever the AC is is switched ON, & remains ON while the AC is running, irrespective of engine temperature. When the AC is switched OFF, the radiator fan will continue to be ON if the coolant temperature is more than 87 deg.C., or switch OFF if the coolant temp. is below 83 deg.C. Any deviation from this pattern indicates a wiring fault.

        Achin Juneja

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

        > Folks,
        >
        > I recently had a major job done on my Nov00 DLE. Longitudinals were replaced, for which the car was essentially stripped bare and then put together again. In addition, I had the roof lining and carpets replaced. The cooling system was cleaned. Prior to this service, the radiator fan would come on after about 8-9 kms of driving during the day time, typically when I hit congestion in the central business district. My commute now is longer and more suburban. About 9 kms of this route is what could be called city traffic, and essentially the same as my previous commute, the remainder is suburban.
        >
        > It takes me 40 minutes to complete this drive, at off-peak hours. Speeds vary all the way from crawling to 80 kph. Most section would be driven between 40-60. What I find is that the fan doesn't come on during the entire 23 kms of my route, if I have the AC running. If I do not have the AC running, the fan might come on maybe one time in five rides, toward the end of the commute.
        >
        > Other members who have NA cars may please advise if this seems normal, or I should have the thermostat looked at.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dev

      • Damodar Kamath
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          Hi Dev,

          Our Indica underwent the same, and much more of the "treatment" (was stripped to a bare cage at the TASS) over 5 months ago. Thankfully, no after-shocks eversince, apart from the rubber beadings coming off at a few pkaces (around winshield and below the doors), and 2 of the exhaust pipe rubber hangers breaking last month).
          Coming to the point, it seems abnormal, as I do get to hear the AC and radiator fams spinning when required.

          Regards,
          Damodar
          [ IndicaV2DLE, BS-2, Mar'01, 65.6k kms ]

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android