Need (Urgent) help with insurance quote

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
      Folks,

      While trying to renew my policy online (with Bajaj Allianz), I discovered anomalies in the policy. The stated fuel type for my DLE was Petrol, and the date of registration was erroneously recorded as Jan1, 2000. These are clearly some placeholder values that the agent had filled in. Since these do not appear in the printed policy, the error was visible only on the detailed page at the website, and I wasn't aware.

      Since then, their marketing agents have been pestering me on the phone to have the policy renewed. I told them I would, if they amend the policy to remove the errors. They haven't been able to do it for a month now, and I am sure if I renew, they'll never get it done. And in any case, they can decline a claim if particulars in a policy are inaccurate, as is stated in their policy wording.

      So, I start looking online for a new policy. The number of possible models and prices that show up on Tata AIG's drop down list are bewildering. Most of these models were not even in production when I bought my car. Here is a truncated list - I have removed the obviously incorrect options, and listed the ones which could possibly apply to my car.

      Make Model Body Type Seats CC Vehicle Type Price
      TATA INDICA SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 93,000
      TATAINDICA DIESELSALOON51405INDIGENOUS99,000

      TATA INDICA DL SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 95,982.6
      TATA INDICA DLE SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 124,813.2

      The ones below are clearly not my car, but just noted for quote comparison.
      TATA INDICA DLG SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 112,512
      TATA INDICA DLS SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 131,622
      TATA INDICA DLX SALOON 5 1405 INDIGENOUS 118,419

      The mostly likely choice would be the DLE Saloon. Incidentally, the RC book lists the car as a saloon, while it's clearly a hatch. Now, why is the DLE valued so high, for what is very nearly a 12 year old car? And, it won't let me change the declared value by more than 10%. I'd have thought that my car's value was closer to around 80-90K.

      Anyone that has recent experience with this sort of exercise, kindly help. Also, advise any other insurance companies that you have found easy to work with. With my experience at Bajaj Allianz, I'm very keen to avoid human contact with insurance personnel for the next few months if I can. So, if anyone had a painless experience getting this done online, kindly let me know the vendor.

      Thanks,

    • Deepak R Umrankar
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
        Hi Dev,

        I recently got my insurance renewed from PolicyBazaar.com. They quoted me many policies. Most importantly they were flexible enough to modify the IDV as per my request, which is not possible for any of the insurance companies if you try to renew from their websites. Also the PolicyBazaar agent guided me to fill the full form & he remained on the call till the time I got the PDF of the policy in my hand. Haven't come across such good customer service in the recent past that I can recollect. I would suggest you too go through PolicyBazaar.com for a hassle free experience. You can read further details in my archived messages below:

        Best Regards
        Deepak Umrankar

        DLX/ July'04/ 116K km/ 19.03 kmpl(last tankful FE)
        "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

        >________________________________

      • Dr. Prasad P. Ranade
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
          Hi Dev,

          I have had a similar experience recently. I had a rear windshield blowup and while filing claims I had thought that there was a compulsory excess (payment to be made by insurer) of Rs 1000. While filing the claims with Bajaj Allianz they said that there was also a voluntary excess of Rs 2500/-. Its not listed in the proposal form or the policy either that they had posted to me and hence, I did not avail of a claim. Yet got to fight that out with the company. They point it to some system error but given the logic that what is in my hand is the final policy document, i guess I stand a good chance to get the voluntary excess deleted from the policy. Voluntary excess if present helps in reduction of the premium but since I had not opted for it, this is clearly a messup on the part of the company. Moral of the story is that while going thru the web purchase etc keep a copy of the info you have keyed in or ask the executive on the fone to mail you a copy of the final proposal prior to accepting the same. I have used policy bazaar and it is good.

          Prasad

          To: indica-users@yahoogroups.com
          From: deepak_umrankar@...
          Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:23:58 -0700
          Subject: Re: [indica-users] Need (Urgent) help with insurance quote

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
            Hi Deepak,

            I had tried policybazaar.com, but they wouldn't quote for a car older than 2004. This is an increasingly common phenomena, it gets hard to obtain insurance for older vehicles. All that my Jeep has is 3rd party insurance, not comprehensive.

            I'm ok going in for IDV of 110,000, which I can reduce it to, but I do need to know that it is the exact model that I need to pick.

            Thanks,

            I recently got my insurance renewed from PolicyBazaar.com. They quoted me many policies. Most importantly they were flexible enough to modify the IDV as per my request, which is not possible for any of the insurance companies if you try to renew from their websites. Also the PolicyBazaar agent guided me to fill the full form & he remained on the call till the time I got the PDF of the policy in my hand. Haven't come across such good customer service in the recent past that I can recollect. I would suggest you too go through PolicyBazaar.com for a hassle free experience. You can read further details in my archived messages below:

            Best Regards
            Deepak Umrankar

            DLX/ July'04/ 116K km/ 19.03 kmpl(last tankful FE)
            "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

            >________________________________

          • Niraj Srivastava
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
              Thanks Achin and others. I will get it checked.

              Niraj

            • larryboysnut@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                Sir what cause the rpm to drop when the AC is switched on? What could be a cause,any time AC is on,the rpm idle indicator drops instead of rising to compensate for the load.

                The first thing to check is whether the alternator is charging the battery.
                After the battery indicator goes off, and the engine has warmed up (approx.
                5 to 8 minutes after a cold start), measure the battery voltage with the
                engine at idle rpm. The voltage should be between 14v to 14.8v.Increase the
                rpm to 1500. The battery voltage should not change by more than 0.2v, if
                the alternator is charging properly & the alternator belt is not slipping.
                The signal for the tachometer is derived from one of the windings in the
                alternator, and is connected by a single wire to the instrument cluster.
                Check this wire for a bad connection at the alternator. If the connection
                is good, check the blue connector inside the instrument cluster housing for
                a good fit.

                Drive safe,
                Achin Juneja

                On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Niraj Srivastava <niraj.srivastav@...
                > wrote:

                > Hi Gurus, can somebody shed light on the following:
                >
                > Every morning when I start my Indigo, I see the tachometer is dead and
                > battery charge indicator is glowing which means the battery is not
                > being charged. The tachometer comes to life the moment I race the
                > engine and leave it, the battery charge indicator also goes off. All
                > is well if I drive non stop. However, if I stop the engine for few
                > minutes, restart it, the tachometer goes dead again. No matter how
                > much I race the engine and bring it to idle, the tachometer does not
                > respond. The strange thing I see is that the battery charge indicator
                > is NOT glowing, meaning the battery is getting charged. If I drive, I
                > can feel the engine bit lighter, as if, all its power is going into
                > driving the wheels and nothing to run the alternator. I can drive for
                > long in this condition, sometimes even for an hour and the tachometer
                > remains dead. It will come back to life only if I let the car cool
                > down for hours, then start the engine and quickly race it and bring it
                > to idle.
                >
                > My question is, is the belt slipping? I don't hear any screeching kind
                > of sound at all? Is it safe to drive this like for long with the belt
                > slipping over some pulley?
                >
                > Thanks
                > Niraj

                > Groups Links

              • Niraj Srivastava
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2012
                  Finally, got time to get it checked and fixed. The problem was with the
                  "rectifier switch", there was no belt slippage.

                • Virender Singh
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2012
                    Hi Niraj

                    I am facing the same (though it is not problem ) since last 3-4 years
                    and running my indigo ( 120K) . In between I have changed the
                    Regulator Twice one in 2009 at Lucas and second at Recent with a Local
                    Electrician but this Techometer stuck remain same . It comes into life
                    only after pressing the accelerator . I try ti understand this from
                    the local electrician who change the regulator , He was not sure just
                    making the guess that it is not getting the current from alternator
                    and once the current establish the tachometer always remain alive .
                    Would like to understand which is this switch and where it is located
                    . Also after this regulator change I am feeling the starting is not
                    normal though not faced any not starting occurrence.

                    Virender Singh
                  • Niraj Srivastava
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 9, 2012
                      Hi Virendra, I had first visited tasc who recommended alternator service. I
                      didn't had time to leave my car there for a day. Meanwhile I got it checked
                      thru a local mechanic who fixed it. The switch he changed isn't tata
                      original but is working for now. I think it is small black switch on the
                      assembly from where the naked accelerator wire emerges.