Request Advice for Vista - 40 K Service and Tyre Change

  • ramachandra
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 4 7:38 PM
      Dear Friends,

      I am taking my Indica Vista QdJet for 40 K Service to Emm Emm Motors,
      Banasawadi Bangalore.

      Request advice on what to expect and what to be pre-warned.

      Further, My front tyres needs to be replaced. Which Model/ Company would be best ?

      Regards.

      Ramachandra
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 4 8:25 PM
        What are you looking for in tyres - performance, economy (low cost), or long life? What's you average annual running?

        As I had indicated in a previous mail, a batch of Vistas had come out of the factory with loose alternator connections. Be sure to have that checked.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 4 10:01 PM
          Catch hold of SA Madhu or Head Mechanic Stalin,they can help you out the best.
          Be little cautious if you come across with owner Mahes,because he tends to push for some addons services.
          Insist on going only for regular replacements like Oil,coolant,Transmission oil...

          Regarding Tyre replacement,it should atleast serve you for 60k,if its premature wear,then its some issue related to allignment.

          With regards and Thanks,
          Praveen

          >________________________________

        • S. K. Bhaduri
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 4 10:37 PM
            Hi friends :

            I just got done my 40K service done at Kraft Motors, Ranchi (Jharkhand). It’s one of the best TASC in Ranchi. Got it done at 38500 kms itself, as I have some travelling to do.

            Got the following things done :

            1. Engine oil change

            2. Oil filter change

            3. Diesel filter change.

            4. Transmission oil change.

            5. Coolant change.

            6. Cleaning and checking of brake pads and discs. (Mine were found to be in good condition…the mechanic suggested to get them changed after another 5000 kms.)

            7. Cleaning of silencer with compressed air.

            8. Wheel alignment.

            9. Checking of suspension ends, ball joint. (They were found to be in good condition.)

            10. Distilled water in battery.

            11. Tightening of intercooler clamp bolts – they tend to get loose in TDI engine and vibrate violently at speeds above 80 kmph.

            12. Interior cleaning – Here, I was charged Rs.350/-. I was surprised, because Patna TASC had charged me Rs.1000/- for the same job. The quality of job done was same in both cases. Any guesses why this huge difference in charges ?

            Total cost incurred – Rs.4600/-

            The service engineer seriously suggested that I get all ball joints and rear wheel bearing changed. I was on the verge of saying yes…but the mechanic, who has worked on my car earlier, suggested me not to waste money as the joints and bearing will last good for another 6000 – 7000 kms. I gave him a tip of Rs.100/- before leaving…J

            One thing I noticed after the service – The pickup has improved drastically…..I think its due to cleaning of silencer.

            S. K. Bhaduri

            Patna

            +91 9934302287

            Indica Vista Aqua TDI, October 2009, 38524 kms, 14.3 kpl (city), 20 kpl (highway)

            Catch hold of SA Madhu or Head Mechanic Stalin,they can help you out the best.
            Be little cautious if you come across with owner Mahes,because he tends to push for some addons services.
            Insist on going only for regular replacements like Oil,coolant,Transmission oil...

            Regarding Tyre replacement,it should atleast serve you for 60k,if its premature wear,then its some issue related to allignment.

            With regards and Thanks,
            Praveen

            >________________________________

          • ramachandra
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 5 12:53 AM
              Dear Dev,
              I would be looking for performance , long life . I am ready to shell out the extra premium.

              With Reg.
              Ramachandra
              --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

              > What are you looking for in tyres - performance, economy (low cost), or long life? What's you average annual running?
              >
              > As I had indicated in a previous mail, a batch of Vistas had come out of the factory with loose alternator connections. Be sure to have that checked.
              >

              > Dev
              >

              > ________________________________

            • ramachandra
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 5 1:02 AM
                Dear Praveen,

                Thanks for the quick info.

                How do u rate the Emm Emm? My regular Prerana at OMR has been shifted to Hosur Road.

                BTW Emm has given an estimate of Rs 6000+/- where as Prerana has given estimate of Rs 9000+

                What would be the general expenditure for a 40 K service for Indica Vista Quadrajet (diesel) at basic service.

                BTW Can I refer ur name?

                With Reg.
                Ramachandra

                --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Praveen Narayan <praveenmnarayan@...> wrote:

                > Catch hold of SA Madhu or Head Mechanic Stalin,they can help you out the best.
                > Be little cautious if you come across with owner Mahes,because he tends to push for some addons services.
                > Insist on going only for regular replacements like Oil,coolant,Transmission oil...
                >
                > Regarding Tyre replacement,it should atleast serve you for 60k,if its premature wear,then its some issue related to allignment.
                >
                > With regards and Thanks,
                > Praveen
                >

                > >________________________________

              • Praveen Narayan
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 5 1:33 AM
                  Hi Ramachandra,

                  Sure you can take out my name,if they do not recall me.You can try quoting my car registration as KA11,they may remember that.
                  Regarding TASC experience i had dealt with Concorde and EMM EMM,Concorde became too costly and more of that they were pushing for some irrelevant works like decarb,etc everytime we go there for service.Also evetually i shifted to this part of bangalore where EMM EMM was at walkable distance.Then before settling down to EMM EMM i even checked Hindustan Motors at kalyan nagar which was new at that time,their quote seem to be same as Concorde where as the quote for EMM EMM was less.

                  After settling down with EMM EMM i did not had a chance to look into other TASC.They would try to resolve your issues.For some issues they mention we can leave with it,since fixing that may cost a bomb which is not worthwhile.

                  You can go ahead and give your car for service.The only drawback i saw was the oil price they quote is more than that of Market price which i think is a usual practice with all TASC's.I haven't bothered much about this,because sometimes for some minor issues which is worth of Rs100 - Rs 200 labour,these guys won't charge me.

                  Also to overcome the above drawback i have strategised to visit TASC only every 20k kms for service,that is till now i have visited at 40k,60k kms for major service. 50k and 70k service was done at FNG with a water wash and oil replacement.

                  Regarding your 6k quote it seems to be at higher end(comparing with what Bhaduri had posted),if can give the breakup we can
                  elliminate certain things if possible.

                  With regards and Thanks,
                  Praveen

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 5 1:33 AM
                    Hi Praveen,

                    Performance and tread life are orthogonal. In general, from my own experience and surveys;

                    Long life champions;

                    1. MRF
                    2. Falcon ZE912 (going by treadwear rating)

                    Performance

                    1. Michelin Pilot sport 3 (not available in 14", but you can go for it if you upsize)
                    2. Bridgestone Potenza III
                    3. Yokohama ES100

                    All round
                    1. Michelin XM+

                    All except the MRF in this list will command a premium. You may have to call up dealers regarding specific pricing.

                    dev

                    ________________________________
                    I would be looking for performance , long life . I am ready to shell out the extra premium.

                    With Reg.
                    Ramachandra
                    --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

                    > What are you looking for in tyres - performance, economy (low cost), or long life? What's you average annual running?
                    >
                    > As I had indicated in a previous mail, a batch of Vistas had come out of the factory with loose alternator connections. Be sure to have that checked.
                    >

                    > Dev
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • ramachandra
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 5 5:00 AM
                      Hi Thanks.
                      My monthly mileage is around 1000 K.
                      FUnny, at 43 K Tyres are going bald. Perhaps some alignment issues.

                      Will need to check.

                      I hope u are recommending that tubeless tyres.

                      Reg.
                      Ram

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 5 8:00 PM

                        Except for the MRF range, yes, all others are tubeless. BTW, I'm not recommending these, but rather providing you with a mix of information and opinion. I hope it helps you choose appropriately. 40-45K is about what the bridgestones and goodyears last (experience with two cars), in spite of diligent attention to alignment and tyre pressures.

                        What I have done is use high performance tyres in the front (the best I could get) and long life tyres in the rear. So, my DLG has a combination of yokohamas in the front, and falkens in the rear. The dle has toyos in the front and some old (partially damaged) yokos in the rear.

                        My OEM MRFs still had tread at about 78K kms, but the performance was godawful. Bridstestones and Goodyears that came as OEM installs on a DLX (NA) and DLG (turbo) each lasted about 40K. The toyos (suprisingly) have lasted around 50K, but they have these boils all over from road debris damage. You are in Bangalore, so you know what I am talking about.

                        If your running is 1000 a month, that's about 48000 in four years time. In your case, perhaps performance can take priority over treadwear. A tyre typically should be used for no more than 4-5 years, regardless of tread depth, outward tyre condition and mileage. Rubber ages beyond utility by that time.

                        Had you been running, say, 2000 kms each month, treadwear would have been of greater significance.

                        FUnny, at 43 K Tyres are going bald. Perhaps some alignment issues.

                        Will need to check.

                        I hope u are recommending that tubeless tyres.

                        Reg.
                        Ram

                        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Praveen,
                        >
                        > Performance and tread life are orthogonal. In general, from my own experience and surveys;
                        >
                        > Long life champions;
                        >
                        > 1. MRF
                        > 2. Falcon ZE912 (going by treadwear rating)
                        >
                        > Performance
                        >
                        > 1. Michelin Pilot sport 3 (not available in 14", but you can go for it if you upsize)
                        > 2. Bridgestone Potenza III
                        > 3. Yokohama ES100
                        >
                        > All round
                        > 1. Michelin XM+
                        >
                        > All except the MRF in this list will command a premium. You may have to call up dealers regarding specific pricing.
                        >
                        > dev
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • ramachandra
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 6 2:06 AM
                          Thank you a lot. With the analysis, I am assuming the OEM Bridgestone tubeless would be good. Or perphaps a mixture as suggested. My front tyres are going bald where as back ones are good .

                          I had been to EMM EMM for leaving the car. They have run an approx bill of Rs 8000/- for 40 K Service as detailed below.

                          Engine Oil Change, OFC, DEC --- Rs 999 Labours, Rs 4000 for spares
                          Weights and alignments, tyre rotation -- 300
                          Coolang change Rs 1000
                          Brakes O/h 750+250

                          Additional request --- Dikky Balance replace -- 800 ( Dikky doors were falling when raised )
                          Filling Nitrogen Rs 150/-.

                          Any Idea on the prices? As I have already given the vehicle, any negotiations can be done?

                          With Reg.
                          Ramachanda

                        • Deepak R Umrankar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 6 2:32 AM
                            Hi Ramchandra,

                            >>Engine Oil Change, OFC, DEC --- Rs 999 Labours, Rs 4000 for spares
                            Weights and alignments, tyre rotation -- 300
                            Coolang change Rs 1000
                            Brakes O/h 750+250

                            Lot of scope for negotiations, but ideally these should have been done, before the work was carried out. Now you have a binding to pay the charges, since the work has already been done.

                            What all spares are included in Rs 4000/- Please give a detailed break-up
                            Coolant charges of 1000 seems very high. How much coolant was filled & @ what rate per litre? What are the labour charges there?
                            What was carried out in break overhauling?

                            Best Regards
                            Deepak Umrankar

                            DLX/ July'04/ 114K km/ 17.10 kmpl(last tankful FE)
                            "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 6 3:15 AM
                              If you have decided to go with tubeless, do consider the michelin xm1+. It's a good all round tyre.

                              Thank you a lot. With the analysis, I am assuming the OEM Bridgestone tubeless would be good. Or perphaps a mixture as suggested. My front tyres are going bald where as back ones are good .

                              I had been to EMM EMM for leaving the car. They have run an approx bill of Rs 8000/- for 40 K Service as detailed below.

                              Engine Oil Change, OFC, DEC --- Rs 999 Labours, Rs 4000 for spares
                              Weights and alignments, tyre rotation -- 300
                              Coolang change Rs 1000
                              Brakes O/h 750+250

                              Additional request --- Dikky Balance replace -- 800 ( Dikky doors were falling when raised )
                              Filling Nitrogen Rs 150/-.

                              Any Idea on the prices? As I have already given the vehicle, any negotiations can be done?

                              With Reg.
                              Ramachanda
                              --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > Except for the MRF range, yes, all others are tubeless. BTW, I'm not recommending these, but rather providing you with a mix of information and opinion. I hope it helps you choose appropriately. 40-45K is about what the bridgestones and goodyears last (experience with two cars), in spite of diligent attention to alignment and tyre pressures.
                              >
                              > What I have done is use high performance tyres in the front (the best I could get) and long life tyres in the rear. So, my DLG has a combination of yokohamas in the front, and falkens in the rear. The dle has toyos in the front and some old (partially damaged) yokos in the rear.
                              >
                              > My OEM MRFs still had tread at about 78K kms, but the performance was godawful. Bridstestones and Goodyears that came as OEM installs on a DLX (NA) and DLG (turbo) each lasted about 40K. The toyos (suprisingly) have lasted around 50K, but they have these boils all over from road debris damage. You are in Bangalore, so you know what I am talking about.
                              >
                              > If your running is 1000 a month, that's about 48000 in four years time. In your case, perhaps performance can take priority over treadwear. A tyre typically should be used for no more than 4-5 years, regardless of tread depth, outward tyre condition and mileage. Rubber ages beyond utility by that time.
                              >

                              > Had you been running, say, 2000 kms each month, treadwear would have been of greater significance.
                              >

                              > Dev
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • kickassso
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 8 7:55 PM
                                Do consider the Apollo Acelere also. If you can get the XM1+ (or the newly launched XM2) they are nice, but they are not worth some 200~300 Rs more than an acelere. You can get the michelins at a good price in the larger cities, but elsewhere they are overpriced. You'll find that your OEM bridgestones are even more hopelessly overpriced, and they arent that good in the first place.

                                When I went shopping for 175/65 R14 tyres for my indica turbo, these were the indicative prices

                                MRF ZTX( tubed) : 3700
                                Apollo Acelere : 3950
                                XM1+ : 4500
                                Bridgestone S322: 4800

                                The bridgestone OEM tyres (S322, B250 etc are of a comparable quality to the MRF models - they are tough and durable(will last 50-70K kms), bit not very grippy or comfortable. The Apollo and the michelin are softer, grippier, but a bit more sensitive, and not as durable (will last 40~50K Kms)

                                Regards,
                                Auster
                                '07 DLG Turbo