Which tyres shall I buy? Michelin XM1+ or Yokohama A

  • Rahul
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
      Gentlemen,
      I think this is the time I have to give my car (Indigo Petrol) a set of new tyres. I have two brands in my mind, which I have already stated above. Which one shall I buy? Please give your suggestion.
      Regards,
      Rahul
    • Deepak R Umrankar
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2012
        Hi Rahul,

        I have used the Michelin XM1+  for 47K kms now & they look good to go another 20-25K kms. However I have replaced two of them till now, both due to side wall damage. The side walls are the weak spot in Michelins & I have realized that the hard way. Otherwise the tyres have very good grip & braking is spot on (probably due to softer compound). Refer below the links from archives @ my experience. The Michelins are more suitable for highway drives, but for pot hole ridden city roads a harder compound tyre like MRF or JK are more suitable.

        I don't have experience @ the Yokohama A drives, but have heard that these are more performance oriented & would wear out faster.

        Don't have

        Best Regards
        Deepak Umrankar

        DLX/ July'04/ 108K km/ 19.48kmpl(last tankful FE)

        "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
          Hello,

          I have used both of them. The XM1+ and the A drives. My personal opinion
          would be to go in for the *Bridgestone Turanza *range of tyres. These have
          more India specific tyre compounds hence these would give better
          performance and life on our roads.
          XMIs suffer from not-so-good braking performance and tyre noise is higher
          but they are comfortable. Yokohama A drives are silent tyres, have a good
          grip but have a relatively softer side wall construction thereby increasing
          chances of a tyre wall fracture/ puncture. Both these tyres are imported
          into India.

          Aditya

          On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Deepak R Umrankar <
          deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi Rahul,
          >
          > I have used the Michelin XM1+ for 47K kms now & they look good to go
          > another 20-25K kms. However I have replaced two of them till now, both due
          > to side wall damage. The side walls are the weak spot in Michelins & I have
          > realized that the hard way. Otherwise the tyres have very good grip &
          > braking is spot on (probably due to softer compound). Refer below the links
          > from archives @ my experience. The Michelins are more suitable for highway
          > drives, but for pot hole ridden city roads a harder compound tyre like MRF
          > or JK are more suitable.

          > I don't have experience @ the Yokohama A drives, but have heard that these
          > are more performance oriented & would wear out faster.
          >
          > Don't have
          >

          > Best Regards
          > Deepak Umrankar
          >
          > DLX/ July'04/ 108K km/ 19.48kmpl(last tankful FE)

          > "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet",
          > from "Gulistan of Sa'di"
          >
          > ________________________________

        • sudarsan cn
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
            Hi Rahul,

            I too agree to Deepak's point that XM1+ has a weak sidewall. I have suffered sidewall damage when i used them on my indica.

            No idea about yokahama. I am currently using bridgestone turanza (covered almost 25K now). No problems so far. Last set of bridgestone tyres on my indica lasted for 45k kms.

            Best regards,

            Sudarsan.

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
              Hi Rahul,

              I haven't used the Michelins as they weren't available when my tyre change was due. Due to positive experience with imported high traction tyres, I was looking for something similar for our DLG. I finally settled for the Yokohama ES100 - this is a high performance tyre and braking and grip are quite remarkable.

              As with Deepak, I lost a tyre to a nasty pothole. I was able to have it patched, and it now does duty on the rear wheels of my old DLE. It is too large for the front wheels and I have better tyres there anyway. The A drives, from what I remember, are no AA on traction rating. This is from memory though, sifting through the sidewalls of a variety of tyres at the dealer. Please do double check this information.

              thanks,
              dev

              ________________________________

              deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Rahul,
              >
              > I have used the Michelin XM1+  for 47K kms now & they look good to go
              > another 20-25K kms. However I have replaced two of them till now, both due
              > to side wall damage. The side walls are the weak spot in Michelins & I have
              > realized that the hard way. Otherwise the tyres have very good grip &
              > braking is spot on (probably due to softer compound). Refer below the links
              > from archives @ my experience. The Michelins are more suitable for highway
              > drives, but for pot hole ridden city roads a harder compound tyre like MRF
              > or JK are more suitable.

              > I don't have experience @ the Yokohama A drives, but have heard that these
              > are more performance oriented & would wear out faster.
              >
              > Don't have
              >

              > Best Regards
              > Deepak Umrankar
              >
              > DLX/ July'04/ 108K km/ 19.48kmpl(last tankful FE)

              > "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet",
              > from "Gulistan of Sa'di"
              >
              > ________________________________

            • cool_guy200320032003
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012

                Go for Michellin xm1+ ..
                In my 2001 DLE,I upsized to 175/70R13.I am very happy with them..
                Very comfortable and not too delicate,may be because of increased sidewall in my case..
                It had run approx 15k..kms nw and still looks new.
                My suggestion MICHELLIN XM1+
              • Rahul
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                  Thanks Gentlemen,
                  Based on your inputs I went to my local Michelin dealer today. Unfortunately they could not supply me with the recommended size for my car, which is 185/60-R14. I am going to wait for an week and see if the same is available from them. Otherwise I shall settle for Yokohama A drive.
                  Regards,
                  Rahul,
                  Calcutta

                  --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Rahul,
                  >
                  > I haven't used the Michelins as they weren't available when my tyre change was due. Due to positive experience with imported high traction tyres, I was looking for something similar for our DLG. I finally settled for the Yokohama ES100 - this is a high performance tyre and braking and grip are quite remarkable.
                  >
                  > As with Deepak, I lost a tyre to a nasty pothole. I was able to have it patched, and it now does duty on the rear wheels of my old DLE. It is too large for the front wheels and I have better tyres there anyway. The A drives, from what I remember, are no AA on traction rating. This is from memory though, sifting through the sidewalls of a variety of tyres at the dealer. Please do double check this information.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > dev
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Aditya Dhavale
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2012
                    Hello,

                    "A" rated traction rating is the best dry road condition rating. "AA"
                    rating was introduced to highlight wet road braking traction. "AA" rated
                    tires are therefore not necessarily better than "A" rated tires in terms of
                    traction, just in terms of wet road traction.

                    Of course the ES100 are excellent tyres but relatively pricier. I feel its
                    the use that should determine the choice of rating of a tyre. One more
                    observation I wanted to point out is that usually most of these imported
                    tyres are noisier on concrete surfaced roads.

                    Aditya