Re: [indica-users] Re: 2nd Tyre damaged - Suspension, steering saved

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2011
      Yes, this is well known. Tyre damage usually follows the blow-out, and not the other way round. However, I was sick of the constant rim bends and steering shudder. I have lost count of how many times I replaced my rims, as even the most careful of rim straightening and balancing would not resolve steering shudder at highway speeds. The constant hammering of the rims to straighten them probably caused work hardening of the material as well, so they'd progressively get less supple over time.

      Besides, the 155/70/13s and later the 165/65/13s were decidedly nervous negotiating curves. Highway speeds have increased markedly since I acquired my vehicle. With my original set of wheels, a one hour highway run at 120 would leave them blistering hot, while the newer wheels are just a tad warm to the touch.

      Pot-holes do remain a dreaded challenge, particularly at night.

      While we are on the topic - I had a blowout driving my wife's accord on a UK motorway. This was the rear left wheel, which is not driven. The car remained arrow straight in the lane, even as it did vibrate violently. It does boast traction control, but I wonder how the trajectory was maintained when the affected wheel was not driven. I initially thought these were run-flats, but when the tyre was unmounted, kilos of shredded rubber spilt out. So, they were clearly not run flats. I'd appreciate any insight into how this could be done, even speculation. I'd never thought a blow-out at 130 Kph could be this painless.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi Deepak,

        To answer your question, tubeless tyres are safer than tubed ones, because they do not explode like the tubed ones. Even when the side wall is ripped/severely damaged beyond repair, tubeless tyres deflate in a progressive/gradual manner so that if your car has been traveling at a high speed you do not lose steering control. So, from the safety point of view tubeless tyres are inherently superior. This is further corroborated by the fact that all tyres in western countries, where driving speeds are much higher than in India, are tubeless ones.

        To address the issue of pot-holed Indian roads, I think tubeless tyres with higher profiles are the safest bet. I say this because the weakest aspect of tubeless tyres is that they develop slow leaks if the rim gets bent (usually due to car falling into big pot hole or hitting brick/stone abandoned by truck-walla after he's finished changing his punctured tyre)). So, a higher profile offers better cushioning to the wheel and a better ride quality (you decide which of these is the side benefit). However, this will compromise the handling of the car (it will reduce the steering response at high speeds).

        That's my two cent's worth. What do you say?

        Regards.

        Subrata Banerjee

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Deepak R Umrankar <deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

        > Hi Achin,
        >
        > >So what was different ? Tyres were normal tubed tyres ! I have seen countless cars with tubeless tyres meeting the same fate as your car going over deep potholes on NH1 & NH3.Tubed tyres & Indian roads - a perfect match.
        >
        > Thanks for pitching in. I agree with you that tubed tyres are better suited for the pothole ridden Indian roads. I never experienced such an incident with my earlier company fitted tubed tyres. But then these were mounted on steel rims. As you rightly said, steel rims take some impact, get deformed, but prevent the tyre from bursting (which also saves the suspension & steering). In my case the tubeless tyres are mounted on alloy rims, which don't deform� that easily (can get cracked under severe impact) & hence the whole impact was absorbed by the tyre. But then are tubeless tyres inherently superior to their tubed siblings or is the vice versa true?
        >
        > �
        > Drive Safe
        >
        > Best Regards
        > Deepak Umrankar
        >
        > DLX/ July'04/ 1,01,251km/ 19.19kmpl(last tankful FE)

        > "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

      • Deepak R Umrankar
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 2, 2011
          Hi Subrata,

          >That's my two cent's worth. What do you say?

          I totally agree to what you have said. In my case though, the burst was all of a sudden due to the heavy impact. However I did not loose steering control & could get to the side of the road safely.

          Drive Safe

          Best Regards
          Deepak Umrankar

          DLX/ July'04/ 1,01,347km/ 19.19kmpl(last tankful FE)

          "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

        • Rhishikesh
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 3, 2011
            Hi Dev,

            I have had 2 - 3 run flats with the rear tyre in loaded and unloaded conditions with my Indica, Never did I feel any vibration or any thin else. Only had a motor cyclist pointing at my rear tyre, and slight metallic sound when the rim touched the road surface.

            The front wheel met a similar fate as mentioned by Deepak, a Blowout with a tubed tyre, when I missed a 1' gap between two concreted sections of the road, had a nasty bang and rim bend.

            Regards,

            Rhishikesh
            (Indica DLS White Jan 2004, 88000 KM, Surat)

            --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...> wrote:
            > While we are on the topic - I had a blowout driving my wife's accord on a UK motorway. This was the rear left wheel, which is not driven. The car remained arrow straight in the lane, even as it did vibrate violently. .... I'd never thought a blow-out at 130 Kph could be this painless.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dev

          • Deepak R Umrankar
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 3, 2011
              Hi Rishi,

              >I have had 2 - 3 run flats with the rear tyre in loaded and unloaded
              conditions with my Indica, Never did I feel any vibration or any thin
              else. Only had a motor cyclist pointing at my rear tyre, and slight
              metallic sound when the rim touched the road surface.

              You are right, it is very difficult to notice if a rear tyre runs flat, whereas when the front ones are underinflated or punctured you immediately get the feeling at the steering wheel.

              >The front wheel met a similar fate as mentioned by Deepak, a Blowout
              with a tubed tyre, when I missed a 1' gap between two concreted sections
              of the road, had a nasty bang and rim bend.

              That's pretty unfortunate. The apathy of the NHAI or local municipal corporations towards proper maintenance of roads result in such unfortunate mishaps. Couple of months back (June this year) in Pune (Nigdi) a water tanker went over the divider on a flyover crashing head-on with a Mercedes E class killing all its occupants -->http://www.punemirror.in/article/2/2011060820110608004937530596ce6cd/Tragedy-revisits-the-Jains.html

              Though the reason was giver as brake failure of the tanker, actually there was wide gap between two sections of the bridge & when the tanker went at high speed over the gap its front wheels lifted off the road & over the small divider it steered off on the wrong side crashing into the oncoming car.

              We are very lucky to have managed just with a blown out tyre, we should thank our stars

              Drive Safe

              Best Regards
              Deepak Umrankar

              DLX/ July'04/ 1,01,488km/ 19.19kmpl(last tankful FE)

              "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 3, 2011
                Hi Hrishi,

                Were the run-flats on the Indica, Safari or some vehicle in the UK? If it was with a vehicle in India, please give me more details of your experience, and availability. I'm seriously considering trying those out.

                Thanks,

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 3, 2011
                  Hi Deepak and Hrishi,

                  When I said run-flats, I meant a specific type of tyre from Michelin and perhaps Pirelli as well, that is designed to tun at modest speeds (50mph/80kph) even when flat. I think BMWs offer this in India as the OEM tyre. I was interested in retail availability.

                  Thanks,

                  >I have had 2 - 3 run flats with the rear tyre in loaded and unloaded
                  conditions with my Indica, Never did I feel any vibration or any thin
                  else. Only had a motor cyclist pointing at my rear tyre, and slight
                  metallic sound when the rim touched the road surface.

                  You are right, it is very difficult to notice if a rear tyre runs flat, whereas when the front ones are underinflated or punctured you immediately get the feeling at the steering wheel.

                  >The front wheel met a similar fate as mentioned by Deepak, a Blowout
                  with a tubed tyre, when I missed a 1' gap between two concreted sections
                  of the road, had a nasty bang and rim bend.

                  That's pretty unfortunate. The apathy of the NHAI or local municipal corporations towards proper maintenance of roads result in such unfortunate mishaps. Couple of months back (June this year) in Pune (Nigdi) a water tanker went over the divider on a flyover crashing head-on with a Mercedes E class killing all its occupants -->http://www.punemirror.in/article/2/2011060820110608004937530596ce6cd/Tragedy-revisits-the-Jains.html

                  Though the reason was giver as brake failure of the tanker, actually there was wide gap between two sections of the bridge & when the tanker went at high speed over the gap its front wheels lifted off the road & over the small divider it steered off on the wrong side crashing into the oncoming car.

                  We are very lucky to have managed just with a blown out tyre, we should thank our stars

                  Drive Safe

                  Best Regards
                  Deepak Umrankar

                  DLX/ July'04/ 1,01,488km/ 19.19kmpl(last tankful FE)

                  "I was sad because I didn't have shoes till I saw a man with no feet", from "Gulistan of Sa'di"

                • Amol Agashe
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 7, 2011
                    Hi All,

                    How about this combination - Tubed Tyres with alloy wheels?

                    Thanks,
                    Amol Agashe.

                    I fully agree with you as I had a similar experience & resulting in only dent so bad that I had to change the rim and not the tyre.

                    Regards
                    T.V.R.Murthy
                    Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 10, 2011
                      hi amol
                      it could be a good combination
                      what are you looking for actually?
                      regards
                      abhay

[...]

                      Achin Juneja

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 11, 2011
                        Thanks Abhay,

                        I am thinking of replacing steel rims with the alloy ones and using OEM tubed tyres on it. Later changed them to either tubeless or tubed one as cost of both tyres is same.

                        Thanks,
                        Amol Agashe.