Re: [indica-users] Front Shock absorber

  • Umesh TRS
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1 12:54 AM
      Afaik, the front struts for the Indica come pre-assembled, or you can buy a
      pre-assembled after-market kit.

      This is always preferable to chnging the struts alone, since the springs
      would also have been subjected to the same kind of use.

      A pre-assembled set should cost you around Rs. 2500 if hydraulic, and
      approx. Rs. 3500 if pneumatic.

      Regards,

      Umesh

      On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM, shailesh_vartak <
      shailesh_vartak@...> wrote:

      > Hi All
      >
      > I was suggested to change the front shock absorber last week. The TASC
      > mentioned that it is 'weak'.
      >
      > It is a 2004 Indica DLS with ~ 42K. Is it possible that I would need to
      > change them? Decent driving with very little bumpy road travels.
      >
      > Also please suggest what would be the cost for shock absorber + bush kit
      > and the labour.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > -Shailesh

    • Achin Juneja
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1 6:14 AM
        why waste money ? The front damper cost Rs.1490, which is Rs.1000 less than the complete strut. The bush kit for the front strut (Rs.205) can be changed at the same time. The springs need never be changed. In my car, the original springs are still going strong. I have seen Indica's with more than 3,50,000 kms on the clock, with OE springs.

        Drive safe,
        Achin Juneja
        DLE,Mar 2005, 1,33,400 kms, 23 kmpl highway.

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Umesh TRS <trsumesh@...> wrote:

        > Afaik, the front struts for the Indica come pre-assembled, or you can buy a
        > pre-assembled after-market kit.
        >
        > This is always preferable to chnging the struts alone, since the springs
        > would also have been subjected to the same kind of use.
        >
        > A pre-assembled set should cost you around Rs. 2500 if hydraulic, and
        > approx. Rs. 3500 if pneumatic.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Umesh
        >
        > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM, shailesh_vartak <
        > shailesh_vartak@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Hi All
        > >
        > > I was suggested to change the front shock absorber last week. The TASC
        > > mentioned that it is 'weak'.
        > >
        > > It is a 2004 Indica DLS with ~ 42K. Is it possible that I would need to
        > > change them? Decent driving with very little bumpy road travels.
        > >
        > > Also please suggest what would be the cost for shock absorber + bush kit
        > > and the labour.
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > > -Shailesh

      • shailesh_vartak
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 10:24 PM
          Hi Achin, Hi Umesh

          This is going 10m above my head. Please bear with me. I have following questions

          What is damper?
          What is strut?
          The price mentioned in email Rs. 1490 is for a single stut and not for two of the front struts.

          How to check that the spring is good and does not need replacement?

          How to identify if it is hadraulic/pneumatic?

          If there are some photos of the components/parts mentioned here please point me / if some has photos please upload.

          Thanks in advance and regards,
          Shailesh

          --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Achin Juneja" <achinjuneja@...> wrote:

          > why waste money ? The front damper cost Rs.1490, which is Rs.1000 less than the complete strut. The bush kit for the front strut (Rs.205) can be changed at the same time. The springs need never be changed. In my car, the original springs are still going strong. I have seen Indica's with more than 3,50,000 kms on the clock, with OE springs.
          >
          > Drive safe,
          > Achin Juneja
          > DLE,Mar 2005, 1,33,400 kms, 23 kmpl highway.
          >

          > --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Umesh TRS <trsumesh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Afaik, the front struts for the Indica come pre-assembled, or you can buy a
          > > pre-assembled after-market kit.
          > >
          > > This is always preferable to chnging the struts alone, since the springs
          > > would also have been subjected to the same kind of use.
          > >
          > > A pre-assembled set should cost you around Rs. 2500 if hydraulic, and
          > > approx. Rs. 3500 if pneumatic.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > Umesh
          > >
          > > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM, shailesh_vartak <
          > > shailesh_vartak@> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hi All
          > > >
          > > > I was suggested to change the front shock absorber last week. The TASC
          > > > mentioned that it is 'weak'.
          > > >
          > > > It is a 2004 Indica DLS with ~ 42K. Is it possible that I would need to
          > > > change them? Decent driving with very little bumpy road travels.
          > > >
          > > > Also please suggest what would be the cost for shock absorber + bush kit
          > > > and the labour.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > > > -Shailesh

        • Umesh TRS
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 3 10:55 PM
            opinions differ.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6 2:00 PM
              Shailesh, Hi. Car suspension has two components, a spring element of some sort, and a damper (the so called shock absorber) that absorbs energy as the spring uncompresses. The McPherson Strut is a type of suspension element that incorportates both. The springs don't fail easily (they do age and settled on steady stiffness [spring constant]). After a long long time, and sooner if you drive continuously on very bad surfaces, they will eventually fail from fatigue.

              The damper is a piston and cylinder arrangement filled oil and some head space for air. Some dampers have compressed gas in them, which helps with cavitation. When it moves, it compresses and heats internal air or gas, absorbing energy from the spring. If this damper fails, the spring would oscillate leading to poor vehicle dynamics. Dampers fails much more quickly, generally speaking, than springs do. In other types of suspension such as leaf, wishbone, torsion bar etc., you'd likely change only the dampers. The strut is a single assembly, and you could change both. However, as Achin pointed out, that may not be necessary if the spring is in good condition, and there is no significant additional charge to assemble up the strut itself.

              Dev