Need advice on new Tata indigo eGLX CS (Petrol)

  • kumars.vipin@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

      My friend is planning to buy TATA indigo eGLX CS petrol from Delhi. Costing him 4.57 lacs.

      I want to check its reviews, I have heard that tata is not good with petrol engines. Is that true? Do you think he should prefer indica vista over it? Or anything else you can advice in same range.

      Rgds,
      Vipin Verma
      Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel
    • Damodar Kamath
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2011

        I guess the current range of eCS petrol variants are good, with much of aggregates coming from Fiat. It is not that petrol engines are not good, but only a matter of customer choice being inclined more towards diesel variants, for their lower fuel consumption :). Our mod himself has a petrol engine that's run lakh+ kms with little issues ;) Hrishi, comments please :)

        Regards,
        Damodar
        [ IndicaV2DLE, BS2, Mar'01, 58.7K kms ]

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2011
          --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Damodar Kamath <kamath76@...> wrote:
          > I guess the current range of eCS petrol variants are good, with much of aggregates coming from Fiat. It is not that petrol engines are not good, but only a matter of customer choice being inclined more towards diesel variants, for their lower fuel consumption :). Our mod himself has a petrol engine that's run lakh+ kms with little issues ;) Hrishi, comments please :)

          ### I do not know whether it will be relevant to mention here that I own only one car, a 2005 version of Indigo (GLX-Petrol). It has run more than 62000 KM. The only problem is that it runs slightly less than 10 KM to a liter (in city, with AC). Other than that there is no other major problem with the car. I am fully satisfied with the mileage given and wish to retain it for at least another five or six years.
          Regards,
          Rahul Biswas,
          Calcutta.
        • Manoj Sati
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
            I own a Indica Xeta for nearly 2.5 years and I quite satisfied with it, it’s not
            a cracker in terms of performance but does its job, gives me a decent economy of
            12.5 in city and 17 to 20 on highways, with or without AC, didn't find any
            difference, I assume on eCS they also use the same 1200CC engine, so it’s kind
            of equivalent, don’t know if gear ratios are different.
            Low end torque for city drivability is good, and has good cruising ability on
            highways, though overtaking requires downshifts, for better fuel efficiency you
            need to maintain lower RPMs, even at the speed of 100KM/h she hovers at around
            3000 RPM in fifth, short fifth gear ratio.

            Regarding TATA petrol engine specific question, I really don’t know why people
            have doubts about TATA’s technology, this engine is good and we have users who
            have covered 100000 KMs in their cars, its bit coarse at high RPMs above 4500,
            but then I found same with Santro, Accent or even recently launched Etios! Free
            revving characteristics depends a lot on torque curve and this engine is
            designed for low end torque (highest at 2700 RPM) with short gear ratios.

            Manoj
            Indica Xeta GLG 2008
            Wagon R LXI 2006

            ________________________________
            > I guess the current range of eCS petrol variants are good, with much of
            >aggregates coming from Fiat. It is not that petrol engines are not good, but
            >only a matter of customer choice being inclined more towards diesel variants,
            >for their lower fuel consumption :). Our mod himself has a petrol engine that's
            >run lakh+ kms with little issues ;) Hrishi, comments please :)

            ### I do not know whether it will be relevant to mention here that I own only
            one car, a 2005 version of Indigo (GLX-Petrol). It has run more than 62000 KM.
            The only problem is that it runs slightly less than 10 KM to a liter (in city,
            with AC). Other than that there is no other major problem with the car. I am
            fully satisfied with the mileage given and wish to retain it for at least
            another five or six years.
            Regards,
            Rahul Biswas,
            Calcutta.

          • Hrishikesh Raghavan
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
              My Indica V2 LSi will turn 8 in March 2011. It has clocked
              ~1,15,000+km to date. It will still reach a top speed of 165+kph on
              the speedo. With upsized and oversized tyres. OE clutch. Engine &
              gearbox untouched.

              No more comments :)

              On 02/02/2011, Damodar Kamath <kamath76@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I guess the current range of eCS petrol variants are good, with much of
              > aggregates coming from Fiat. It is not that petrol engines are not good, but
              > only a matter of customer choice being inclined more towards diesel
              > variants, for their lower fuel consumption :). Our mod himself has a petrol
              > engine that's run lakh+ kms with little issues ;) Hrishi, comments please :)
              >
              > Regards,
              > Damodar
              > [ IndicaV2DLE, BS2, Mar'01, 58.7K kms ]

              Hrishikesh Raghavan
              gearheads.in
            • Shiv Shankar Datta
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 3, 2011
                My Indica petrol XETA 1.4 has done many long trips on tough conditions like delhi to kedarnath & badrinath, nainital, kosani etc. Smooth sailing without any problem till now in last 4 yrs of ownership. All the other comments made in favor of Indica petrol by other users also applies to my XETA. No major extra expenditure except usual service & one accidental repair.

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
                  The Indica petrol shares the basic short-block with its diesel sibling, and is known to be exceptionally strong.
                  Dev

                  My Indica V2 LSi will turn 8 in March 2011. It has clocked

                  ~1,15,000+km to date. It will still reach a top speed of 165+kph on

                  the speedo. With upsized and oversized tyres. OE clutch. Engine &

                  gearbox untouched.

                  No more comments :)

                  On 02/02/2011, Damodar Kamath <kamath76@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,

                  > I guess the current range of eCS petrol variants are good, with much of

                  > aggregates coming from Fiat. It is not that petrol engines are not good, but

                  > only a matter of customer choice being inclined more towards diesel

                  > variants, for their lower fuel consumption :). Our mod himself has a petrol

                  > engine that's run lakh+ kms with little issues ;) Hrishi, comments please :)

                  > Regards,

                  > Damodar

                  > [ IndicaV2DLE, BS2, Mar'01, 58.7K kms ]

                  > --- On Tue, 1/2/11, kumars.vipin@... <kumars.vipin@...> wrote:

                  > From: kumars.vipin@... <kumars.vipin@...>

                  > Subject: [indica-users] Need advice on new Tata indigo eGLX CS (Petrol)

                  > To: "TISG" <indica-users@yahoogroups.com>

                  > Date: Tuesday, 1 February, 2011, 2:35 PM

                  > Hi,

                  > My friend is planning to buy TATA indigo eGLX CS petrol from Delhi. Costing

                  > him 4.57 lacs.

                  > I want to check its reviews, I have heard that tata is not good with petrol

                  > engines. Is that true? Do you think he should prefer indica vista over it?

                  > Or anything else you can advice in same range.

                  > Rgds,

                  > Vipin Verma

                  > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

                  > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:

                  > http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

                  > See our FAQ by BLOG -

                  > Groups Links

                  Hrishikesh Raghavan

                  gearheads.in

                • kickassso
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 5, 2011
                    I dont think there is any fiat DNA in the first generation indica series, even now.
                    PS: the indigo CS has a 1.2L engine, which has lesser top end compared to the 1.4. Otherwise they arent that different.