Indica xeta - vibration on rough roads

  • krishna prasad
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      My hearty wishes to all TIUG members for a happy and prosperous new year 2011.

      I request the experts in this group to help me out regarding a problem in my four year old Indica Xeta.

      My car vibrates heavily when it goes over rough road with patches. I also gets a bumby ride when going over roads with uneven surface (wavy). I feel the vibration on my steering wheels. The amplitude of the vibration is less but frequency is high, which transmits through the body of the car to the seat. This is speed independent. I have done balancing and alignment of the wheels, but still the problem persists.

      My mechanic says that the shocks are perfectly alright and the problem is with tyres. He told that the tyres have gone hard because of non usage. I have kept the car almost idle for two years (2007 -2009) in hot sun. He suggested to replace the tyres with Bridgestone (the one I have in my car presently is good year). TASC quoted Rs. 3200/- for one tyre.

      Kindly advice me whether I should go for the tyre replacement. Or will there be any issues with the shock absorber assembly? Or what could be the reason for this vibration?
      Thanks in advance.

      Regards
      Krishna Prasad. K
      Indica Xeta GVS (2006) 18000 km, 13.5 kmpl (avg.)
    • Achin Juneja
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011

        When vibrations are felt in the steering wheel while driving on rough
        roads,, it is usually an indication of worn suspension rubber bushes. Mainly
        the two Pivot bushes (on the LH & RH lower suspension arms, and the
        balancing rod bushes. Tyre rubber does not get hard due to car not being
        used and parked in the sun. On the other hand, if the car has been parked in
        one position for over 2 months, the tyres might have developed flat spots.
        This can cause a low frequency rhythmic vibration, but it will be partially
        absorbed by the dampers, so will not be felt in the steering. Also, these
        flat spots will disappear if you inflate the tyres with 2 -3 psi excess
        pressure i.e. 32 - 33 psi in all four tyres and use the car regularly for a
        few weeks.
        Suggest you get the suspension bushes checked first, also the two suspension
        ball joints.

        Drive safe,
        Achin Juneja
        DLE, Mar 2005, Delhi, 1,29,390 kms, 21 kmpl city.

        > My hearty wishes to all TIUG members for a happy and prosperous new year
        > 2011.
        >
        > I request the experts in this group to help me out regarding a problem in
        > my four year old Indica Xeta.
        >
        > My car vibrates heavily when it goes over rough road with patches. I also
        > gets a bumby ride when going over roads with uneven surface (wavy). I feel
        > the vibration on my steering wheels. The amplitude of the vibration is
        > less but frequency is high, which transmits through the body of the car
        > to the seat. This is speed independent. I have done balancing and
        > alignment of the wheels, but still the problem persists.
        >
        > My mechanic says that the shocks are perfectly alright and the problem is
        > with tyres. He told that the tyres have gone hard because of non usage. I
        > have kept the car almost idle for two years (2007 -2009) in hot sun. He
        > suggested to replace the tyres with Bridgestone (the one I have in my car
        > presently is good year). TASC quoted Rs. 3200/- for one tyre.
        >
        > Kindly advice me whether I should go for the tyre replacement. Or will
        > there be any issues with the shock absorber assembly? Or what could be the
        > reason for this vibration?
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Regards
        > Krishna Prasad. K
        > Indica Xeta GVS (2006) 18000 km, 13.5 kmpl (avg.)

        > Groups Links

      • krishna prasad
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          Dear Achin Sir,

          Thank you for the very prompt reply.
          I have given the car to the TASC today morning and I have already asked the mechanic to check the bushes and ball joints as suggested by you.

          Sir, apart from the steering vibrations, when it goes over rough roads, whole car body vibrates and a big roar sound is heard inside the cabin.
          Will there be any problem with suspension apart from the bushes?
          The ball joint was replaced recently to arrest the wobbling of the steering.

          Once again thanking you for the advice...

          With warm regards

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011

            Get the following items checked also:

            1.Engine mounts (A & B).
            2.All exhaust pipe, silencer, catalytic converter Hangers, fixing bolts and joint bolts.

            Drive safe,
            Achin Juneja

            --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, krishna prasad <prasad42@...> wrote:

            > Dear Achin Sir,
            >
            > Thank you for the very prompt reply.
            > I have given the car to the TASC today morning and I have already asked the mechanic to check the bushes and ball joints as suggested by you.
            >
            > Sir, apart from the steering vibrations, when it goes over rough roads, whole car body vibrates and a big roar sound is heard inside the cabin.
            > Will there be any problem with suspension apart from the bushes?
            > The ball joint was replaced recently to arrest the wobbling of the steering.
            >
            > Once again thanking you for the advice...
            >
            > With warm regards
            >
            > Krishna Prasad. K
            >
            > Indica Xeta GVS (2006) 18000 km, 13.5 kmpl (avg.)

          • Ajay Kumar Nair

              > My hearty wishes to all TIUG members for a happy and prosperous new year

              > 2011.

              > I request the experts in this group to help me out regarding a problem in

              > my four year old Indica Xeta.

              > My car vibrates heavily when it goes over rough road with patches. I also

              > gets a bumby ride when going over roads with uneven surface (wavy). I feel

              > the vibration on my steering wheels. The amplitude of the vibration is

              > less but frequency is high, which transmits through the body of the car

              > to the seat. This is speed independent. I have done balancing and

              > alignment of the wheels, but still the problem persists.

              > My mechanic says that the shocks are perfectly alright and the problem is

              > with tyres. He told that the tyres have gone hard because of non usage. I

              > have kept the car almost idle for two years (2007 -2009) in hot sun. He

              > suggested to replace the tyres with Bridgestone (the one I have in my car

              > presently is good year). TASC quoted Rs. 3200/- for one tyre.

              > Kindly advice me whether I should go for the tyre replacement. Or will

              > there be any issues with the shock absorber assembly? Or what could be the

              > reason for this vibration?

              > Thanks in advance.

              > Regards

              > Krishna Prasad. K

              > Indica Xeta GVS (2006) 18000 km, 13.5 kmpl (avg.)

              > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:

              > http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

              > See our FAQ by BLOG -

              > Groups Links

            • Ajay Kumar Nair

                > My hearty wishes to all TIUG members for a happy and prosperous new year

                > 2011.

                > I request the experts in this group to help me out regarding a problem in

                > my four year old Indica Xeta.

                > My car vibrates heavily when it goes over rough road with patches. I also

                > gets a bumby ride when going over roads with uneven surface (wavy). I feel

                > the vibration on my steering wheels. The amplitude of the vibration is

                > less but frequency is high, which transmits through the body of the car

                > to the seat. This is speed independent. I have done balancing and

                > alignment of the wheels, but still the problem persists.

                > My mechanic says that the shocks are perfectly alright and the problem is

                > with tyres. He told that the tyres have gone hard because of non usage. I

                > have kept the car almost idle for two years (2007 -2009) in hot sun. He

                > suggested to replace the tyres with Bridgestone (the one I have in my car

                > presently is good year). TASC quoted Rs. 3200/- for one tyre.

                > Kindly advice me whether I should go for the tyre replacement. Or will

                > there be any issues with the shock absorber assembly? Or what could be the

                > reason for this vibration?

                > Thanks in advance.

                > Regards

                > Krishna Prasad. K

                > Indica Xeta GVS (2006) 18000 km, 13.5 kmpl (avg.)

                > For submitting feedback about your Indica, use:

                > http://www.yahoogroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

                > See our FAQ by BLOG -

                > Groups Links

              • krishna prasad
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Sir,

                  Thank you very much for the help..

                  I got a thorough check-up done on the shock absorbers. They told the bushes are alright, but shocks had rusted badly, which they cleaned. Both front tyres were changed and i did a test drive. I found that performance has improved but the vibrations are still their but with lesser amplitude. I then replaced the old ones with new bridgestone tyres. Now the vibrations are in tolerable levels.

                  Thank you Achin Sir and Mr. Ajay for your valuable inputs.