Saturday adventure

  • james.r
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi All,

      Hope you all know the adventures we are facing in the recent past. This
      weekend was no different. Took the car from my colleague's place where I
      generally park our Car to my place & loaded some stuff. This distance would
      be 12kms. Again from there went to my sister's hostel which is again some
      10kms away. As I was waiting for her thought of filling the winds shield
      washer container in the mean time. The moment I opened the bonnet I was
      shocked to see oil sprayed all over. Called up my friend for suggestion & he
      advised me to remove engine cover (an addition made by me) & check the
      source of leakage. I was surprised to see the dummy plug at the end of
      engine head was open & engine oil was sprayed from it. Called DC (Deepak
      Chandar - a fellow member owning OMR checkpoint) for his help. He said his
      SA will call me & he(Mr.Ashok) called me in few mins. He asked me whether I
      can drive the car till his service station located 8kms away. I said I feel
      that to be a risk & asked him whether he can arrange a Mech to reach my
      place. He said yes & I insisted him to send his guy with a dummy plug. Got a
      call from his service station help desk & they confirmed my place & said
      that a guy attending another break down service will be directed to our Car.
      After 15 mins I called that Mech & he wasn't aware about our Car. Called SA
      again & told him that the Mech whose number was given to me wasn't aware
      about our Car & he said that Mech was held there itself & he is arranging
      another Mech to visit our Car. Exactly at 50th minute from the call I called
      DC, that Mech came to our Car. He was doing things very patiently & removed
      the valve door & fixed the new dummy plug. Valve door was fixed back & 1
      litre oil was used to top-up. Car was back to life within 30 mins. Now the
      charges were impressive.

      1 litre oil Rs.260
      Dummy Plug Rs.27
      Labour Rs.200
      Total Rs.487
      Never thought a break down repair will be charged so low. Settled it to the
      Mech & the SA said that the bill will be couriered to my place.

      Finally we drove back home safely with another fear in mind when the dummy
      plug may give up. The Mech told me that it might have happened due to
      excessive pressure built inside the engine. But he couldn't give me any
      explaination to it. Any one faced this issue earlier. Inputs please...

      james.r
      "Sparky", Indica V2, DLE, BS-II, 38.5 k kms, TN23 AA 6946, Feb 05

    • Hrishikesh Raghavan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
        James,

        I sincerely hope (for everybody's good) that OMR Checkpoint has become a
        better place. I can't comment on the technical aspects of your post though.

        Cheers,
        Hrishi
        Tata Indica V2 LSi, March 2003, 105000 km
        Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4, January 2007, 87800 km

        On 1 March 2010 17:59, james.r <anandjamespaul@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Hope you all know the adventures we are facing in the recent past. This
        > weekend was no different. Took the car from my colleague's place where I
        > generally park our Car to my place & loaded some stuff. This distance would
        > be 12kms. Again from there went to my sister's hostel which is again some
        > 10kms away. As I was waiting for her thought of filling the winds shield
        > washer container in the mean time. The moment I opened the bonnet I was
        > shocked to see oil sprayed all over. Called up my friend for suggestion &
        > he
        > advised me to remove engine cover (an addition made by me) & check the
        > source of leakage. I was surprised to see the dummy plug at the end of
        > engine head was open & engine oil was sprayed from it. Called DC (Deepak
        > Chandar - a fellow member owning OMR checkpoint) for his help. He said his
        > SA will call me & he(Mr.Ashok) called me in few mins. He asked me whether I
        > can drive the car till his service station located 8kms away. I said I feel
        > that to be a risk & asked him whether he can arrange a Mech to reach my
        > place. He said yes & I insisted him to send his guy with a dummy plug. Got
        > call from his service station help desk & they confirmed my place & said
        > that a guy attending another break down service will be directed to our
        > Car.
        > After 15 mins I called that Mech & he wasn't aware about our Car. Called SA
        > again & told him that the Mech whose number was given to me wasn't aware
        > about our Car & he said that Mech was held there itself & he is arranging
        > another Mech to visit our Car. Exactly at 50th minute from the call I
        > called
        > DC, that Mech came to our Car. He was doing things very patiently & removed
        > the valve door & fixed the new dummy plug. Valve door was fixed back & 1
        > litre oil was used to top-up. Car was back to life within 30 mins. Now the
        > charges were impressive.
        >
        > 1 litre oil Rs.260
        > Dummy Plug Rs.27
        > Labour Rs.200
        > Total Rs.487
        > Never thought a break down repair will be charged so low. Settled it to the
        > Mech & the SA said that the bill will be couriered to my place.
        >
        > Finally we drove back home safely with another fear in mind when the dummy
        > plug may give up. The Mech told me that it might have happened due to
        > excessive pressure built inside the engine. But he couldn't give me any
        > explaination to it. Any one faced this issue earlier. Inputs please...
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        > james.r
        > "Sparky", Indica V2, DLE, BS-II, 38.5 k kms, TN23 AA 6946, Feb 05

        Hrishikesh Raghavan
      • Deepak R Umrankar
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
          Hi James,

          >Finally we drove back home safely with another fear in mind when the dummy
          plug may give up.

          Good to know that your problem was attended promptly & resolved.

          >The Mech told me that it might have happened due to
          excessive pressure built inside the engine. But he couldn't give me any
          explaination to it. Any one faced this issue earlier. Inputs please...

          That could be one of the reasons. As we have a safety plug on our pressure cookers, this dummy plug would be performing the same function, relieving excessive pressure & preventing the other vital parts/lines from damage. But I am wondering if there was any kind of indication on the dashboard (like check engine light coming ON), & you missed to notice it.

          Drive Safe
          Best Regards

          Deepak Umrankar

          DLX/ July'04/ 69,180km/ 18.89 kmpl (last tankfull)/ Fuel-1.91(Rs/km)/ Maint'ce-0.68(Rs/km)

        • james.r
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
            Thanks Deepak,

            The structure of that plug seems to me very much similar to safety plug of a
            pressure cooker. Metal dummy with a rubber cover which will give up in case
            of high pressure. But why high pressure was created is still ringing in my
            mind. There wasn't any check engine light flash or even the low oil pressure
            signal. The hard copy of bill reached me yst...

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
              In my case, rats love to chew up this return line.

              Failure at the plug is common, you can use a gun-metal stopper, rather than a rubber one if you wish. You'll have to get it turned at a lathe shop.

              dev

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
                Hi James,

                I'm no longer sure we are talking about the same thing. Isn't this at the last injector, where, the return circuit is plugged? But in that case, you should have lost fuel, and not engine oil.

                Dev

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Hi Dev,

                  I think we both are speaking about different things. Engine head is covered
                  by a valve door in which you find the Oil filler plug. Just at the right
                  side wall of the engine head you have this dummy plug between the valve door
                  & engine head. This plug is 2.5 inch in diameter. The bill has its name as
                  "Oil seal" (Camshaft Rear) [G279005107810]. I can understand you are
                  referring the rubber dummy in the fuel circuit of last injector.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                    OK, got it. I never had that part fail, so not familiar with it. Surprising that the pressure in that area should be high enough to drive a cam-shaft seal to failure.