Re: AC not working suddenly

  • tiug_common
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      The AC system in the Indica, like other compact cars, has a safety device which switches off the compressor, to avoid damage, in case the Refrigerant gas pressure falls below a certain minimum value, e.g. when the gas has leaked. The safety device works by disabling the AC on-off switch. Hence the rpm also will not increase.
      Just get the gas (R134A) refilled -- cost should be approx. Rs.600.

      The fog lights issue is an unrelated fault -- get the wiring to the fog lights checked.

      Achin Juneja

      --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "npaul123" <neel.paul@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am facing the 1st major problem in my 2.5 yrs (45k km) of ownership of Indica DLG TCIC.Yesterday after the rains when I drove my car, everything was normal & AC was working.After 1.5 hr drive I reached my office & parked my car, someone told me that my fog lights were ON.I didn't switch it on & I was unable to switch it off either.While going to a mechanic nearby I noticed my AC is also not working.There is no change in RPM associated with engaging of compressor also.By the time I reached the mechanic the fog lights were off automatically, he checked the AC by opening the bonnet, did something with a wire in hand (maybe bypassing the thermostat) & then pressed something near the engine area and showed that there is no gas in the compressor as it had leaked out.
      >
      > I found it peculiar 1stly because if the Gas would have leaked at least I should have felt the compressor getting engaged by means of increase in RPM which was always the case.So I seek your advice if indeed this is the problem or there is something else to the story.I was expecting a electrical problem i.e. of some device which which is responsible for engaging the engine with compressor.Today though the weather was OK I was not comfortable driving without the AC, so I have to get it corrected at the soonest.
      >
      > Thanks in Advance for your Advice.Just to add that it was because of this forum I had bought this car.
      >

      > Paul
      > Indica DLG TCIC Sept 2006 (In City 16kmpl w/ 100% AC)
      > Honda City Zxi Oct 2008 (In City 13.5 kmpl w/ 100% AC)

    • npaul123
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Achin,

        Thank you very much! So the mechanic was right to diagnose the fault.
        Do I need to investigate the cause of this leakage?Or is there a chance that the safety device has malfunctioned?

        You know what I have been a silent reader of your posts since 2006 when I was returning back to India & I wanted to buy a Diesel car.At that time I was interested in Turbo Indica only as I thought this would give me the pickup of petrol car & running cost of diesel.If the support of this group were not there I would not have bought a Tata car for sure.

        In 2008 Q3 when I bought the Honda city I almost thought of selling this car but the car has given such a good service & its frugal nature prevented me to do so though I had to bear the brunt of higher EMIs :-).

        BR

        N.Paul

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          The mechanic should check the system for leakage before filling the refrigerant. Generally compressed air is filled in the system to check for leakages. If none are found, the air is evacuated & refrigerant gas is then filled. Safety switch malfunctionis are extremely rare.
          Thanks for your comments.
          You will find some additional info at:

          Achin Juneja

          --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "npaul123" <neel.paul@...> wrote:

          > Hi Achin,
          >
          > Thank you very much! So the mechanic was right to diagnose the fault.
          > Do I need to investigate the cause of this leakage?Or is there a chance that the safety device has malfunctioned?
          >
          > You know what I have been a silent reader of your posts since 2006 when I was returning back to India & I wanted to buy a Diesel car.At that time I was interested in Turbo Indica only as I thought this would give me the pickup of petrol car & running cost of diesel.If the support of this group were not there I would not have bought a Tata car for sure.
          >
          > In 2008 Q3 when I bought the Honda city I almost thought of selling this car but the car has given such a good service & its frugal nature prevented me to do so though I had to bear the brunt of higher EMIs :-).
          >
          > BR
          >
          > N.Paul
          > --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "tiug_common" <tiug_common@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The AC system in the Indica, like other compact cars, has a safety device which switches off the compressor, to avoid damage, in case the Refrigerant gas pressure falls below a certain minimum value, e.g. when the gas has leaked. The safety device works by disabling the AC on-off switch. Hence the rpm also will not increase.
          > > Just get the gas (R134A) refilled -- cost should be approx. Rs.600.
          > >
          > > The fog lights issue is an unrelated fault -- get the wiring to the fog lights checked.
          > >
          > > Achin Juneja

        • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2009

            A little off topic:

            > Indica DLG TCIC Sept 2006 (In City 16kmpl w/ 100% AC)
            > Honda City Zxi Oct 2008 (In City 13.5 kmpl w/ 100% AC)

            We share similar cars. with little differences, though!

            Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
            (Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 57985 (59395) kms, 13.98 kpl, 44km/day)
            (Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 35066 kms, 13.31 kpl, 54km/day)