OT: My July04 DLX Valuation

  • DEEPAK UMRANKAR
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009

      Since many days I have been contemplating on the idea of selling my July04 DLX & go for a common rail diesel engine, mid siz segment (of course with a boot to carry the extra luggage). THe frontrunner amongst the latest models was Maruti DeZire, hence went to the nearby Maruti showroom. Took a test drive of ZDI. The front & back seating was very comfortable, the dash was also good. The pick up was decent. However when I tried to drag the car at very low rpm on 3rd gear, the car seemed to be struggling (we were 3 in the car with AC on). The pulling was not that smooth as expected. The sales guy told me that this being a demo car (which had already clocked 18K kms) has gone through many amateurish hands. Hence it was not in perfect condition.

      Now came the turn of my July04 DLX Valuation. The evaluator asked me to start the car & he opened the bonnet, removed the oil dip stick. He pulled the accelerator cable, raced the engine above 3500 rpm. Did this for quite some time. He then took a ride, accelerating harshly till 3500rpm, before changing the gears (with AC on). Drove for @ a km. Again opened the bonnet, removed the dip stick. To his dismay he could not see any oil slpashes though the oil well, which he was expecting. He said the car is in good condition as of now & warned that it will start giving trouble after another 15K kms. He asked me @ my expectations. I said I dont have a figure, you simply quote yours. He quoted a figure of INR 1.60 lacs. He said Indicas are being used by call centres & have low resale value. Also to prove his point, he said that an 06 Indigo LS which had run for 45K kms did not fetch more than 1.75 lacs. He also stated that TATAs have stopped the production of
      DLX models. I was amazed to hear this, but more than that very disappointed by the manner in which he tried to downplay my car & Indica in general. Despite explaining him that the car was driven single handedly, running was below 50K, no major issues, he didnt budge on the value.

      After this whole exercise, I have made up my mind that I will continue with my DLX at least till such time that my car continues to serve me w/o any major problems. I can very well do w/o a 3 box sedan.

      Drive Safe
      Best Regards

      DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/47,451 km/18.61 kmpl 80% AC(last tank full)

    • achinjuneja
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
        Deepak, this should be the subject of your post. And how was it 'OT'
        anyway ?
        What the salesman probably meant was if a first time owner buys a
        Maruti Diesel car, performance will detereorate in 18 months!
        BTW, how many kms had the demo car done ?

        The market value of your DLX in Pune is Rs.1.7 lacs if dealer buys, &
        Rs.2.0 lacs if user buys directly.

        Take care,
        Achin Juneja

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, DEEPAK UMRANKAR
        <deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Since many days I have been contemplating on the idea of selling my
        July04 DLX & go for a common rail diesel engine, mid siz segment (of
        course with a boot to carry the extra luggage). THe frontrunner
        amongst the latest models was Maruti DeZire, hence went to the nearby
        Maruti showroom. Took a test drive of ZDI. The front & back seating
        was very comfortable, the dash was also good. The pick up was decent.
        However when I tried to drag the car at very low rpm on 3rd gear, the
        car seemed to be struggling (we were 3 in the car with AC on). The
        pulling was not that smooth as expected. The sales guy told me that
        this being a demo car (which had already clocked 18K kms) has gone
        through many amateurish hands. Hence it was not in perfect condition.

        > Now came the turn of my July04 DLX Valuation. The evaluator asked me
        to start the car & he opened the bonnet, removed the oil dip stick. He
        pulled the accelerator cable, raced the engine above 3500 rpm. Did
        this for quite some time. He then took a ride, accelerating harshly
        till 3500rpm, before changing the gears (with AC on). Drove for @ a
        km. Again opened the bonnet, removed the dip stick. To his dismay he
        could not see any oil slpashes though the oil well, which he was
        expecting. He said the car is in good condition as of now & warned
        that it will start giving trouble after another 15K kms. He asked me @
        my expectations. I said I dont have a figure, you simply quote yours.
        He quoted a figure of INR 1.60 lacs. He said Indicas are being used by
        call centres & have low resale value. Also to prove his point, he said
        that an 06 Indigo LS which had run for 45K kms did not fetch more than
        1.75 lacs. He also stated that TATAs have stopped the production of
        > DLX models. I was amazed to hear this, but more than that very
        disappointed by the manner in which he tried to downplay my car &
        Indica in general. Despite explaining him that the car was driven
        single handedly, running was below 50K, no major issues, he didnt
        budge on the value.

        > After this whole exercise, I have made up my mind that I will
        continue with my DLX at least till such time that my car continues to
        serve me w/o any major problems. I can very well do w/o a 3 box sedan.

        > Drive Safe
        > Best Regards
        >
        > DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/47,451 km/18.61 kmpl 80% AC(last tank full)

      • Alok Bhale
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          FWIW, If there is a Mahindra first choice outlet close by, you might want to get the car evaluated by them as well.

          Ok - I see that it's a MH14 - there is an outlet on the Mumbai-blore bypass just before chandani chowk (going towards Bangalore).

[...]

          Infosys e-mail system.

        • DEEPAK UMRANKAR
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
            Hi Achin,

            Thanks for the correction in the subject. The demo car had run 18K kms. To be honest the DeZire did not overwhelm me or probably I had set too high expectations, but that is what we expect from a new world class model, dont we?

            Yes, 2 lacs was my expectation & that seems to be reasonable given the condition of the car, but I was least aware that dealer would extract a margin as high as 40K (as he quoted 1.60 lacs). Wonder then what would be the margins on brand new cars?

            <deepak_umrankar@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi,

            > Since many days I have been contemplating on the idea of selling my

            July04 DLX & go for a common rail diesel engine, mid siz segment (of

            course with a boot to carry the extra luggage). THe frontrunner

            amongst the latest models was Maruti DeZire, hence went to the nearby

            Maruti showroom. Took a test drive of ZDI. The front & back seating

            was very comfortable, the dash was also good. The pick up was decent.

            However when I tried to drag the car at very low rpm on 3rd gear, the

            car seemed to be struggling (we were 3 in the car with AC on). The

            pulling was not that smooth as expected. The sales guy told me that

            this being a demo car (which had already clocked 18K kms) has gone

            through many amateurish hands. Hence it was not in perfect condition.

            > Now came the turn of my July04 DLX Valuation. The evaluator asked me

            to start the car & he opened the bonnet, removed the oil dip stick. He

            pulled the accelerator cable, raced the engine above 3500 rpm. Did

            this for quite some time. He then took a ride, accelerating harshly

            till 3500rpm, before changing the gears (with AC on). Drove for @ a

            km. Again opened the bonnet, removed the dip stick. To his dismay he

            could not see any oil slpashes though the oil well, which he was

            expecting. He said the car is in good condition as of now & warned

            that it will start giving trouble after another 15K kms. He asked me @

            my expectations. I said I dont have a figure, you simply quote yours.

            He quoted a figure of INR 1.60 lacs. He said Indicas are being used by

            call centres & have low resale value. Also to prove his point, he said

            that an 06 Indigo LS which had run for 45K kms did not fetch more than

            1.75 lacs. He also stated that TATAs have stopped the production of

            > DLX models. I was amazed to hear this, but more than that very

            disappointed by the manner in which he tried to downplay my car &

            Indica in general. Despite explaining him that the car was driven

            single handedly, running was below 50K, no major issues, he didnt

            budge on the value.

            > After this whole exercise, I have made up my mind that I will

            continue with my DLX at least till such time that my car continues to

            serve me w/o any major problems. I can very well do w/o a 3 box sedan.

            > Drive Safe

            > Best Regards

            > DLX/MH14 AE4304/July' 04/47,451 km/18.61 kmpl 80% AC(last tank full)

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/indica- users/files/ Indica_DLX_ Fuel_log_ Deepak.xls

          • DEEPAK UMRANKAR

              <deepak_umrankar@ ...> wrote:

              > Hi,

              > Since many days I have been contemplating on the idea of selling my

              July04 DLX & go for a common rail diesel engine, mid siz segment (of

              course with a boot to carry the extra luggage). THe frontrunner

              amongst the latest models was Maruti DeZire, hence went to the nearby

              Maruti showroom. Took a test drive of ZDI. The front & back seating

              was very comfortable, the dash was also good. The pick up was decent.

              However when I tried to drag the car at very low rpm on 3rd gear, the

              car seemed to be struggling (we were 3 in the car with AC on). The

              pulling was not that smooth as expected. The sales guy told me that

              this being a demo car (which had already clocked 18K kms) has gone

              through many amateurish hands. Hence it was not in perfect condition.

              > Now came the turn of my July04 DLX Valuation. The evaluator asked me

              to start the car & he opened the bonnet, removed the oil dip stick. He

              pulled the accelerator cable, raced the engine above 3500 rpm. Did

              this for quite some time. He then took a ride, accelerating harshly

              till 3500rpm, before changing the gears (with AC on). Drove for @ a

              km. Again opened the bonnet, removed the dip stick. To his dismay he

              could not see any oil slpashes though the oil well, which he was

              expecting. He said the car is in good condition as of now & warned

              that it will start giving trouble after another 15K kms. He asked me @

              my expectations. I said I dont have a figure, you simply quote yours.

              He quoted a figure of INR 1.60 lacs. He said Indicas are being used by

              call centres & have low resale value. Also to prove his point, he said

              that an 06 Indigo LS which had run for 45K kms did not fetch more than

              1.75 lacs. He also stated that TATAs have stopped the production of

              > DLX models. I was amazed to hear this, but more than that very

              disappointed by the manner in which he tried to downplay my car &

              Indica in general. Despite explaining him that the car was driven

              single handedly, running was below 50K, no major issues, he didnt

              budge on the value.

              > After this whole exercise, I have made up my mind that I will

              continue with my DLX at least till such time that my car continues to

              serve me w/o any major problems. I can very well do w/o a 3 box sedan.

              > Drive Safe

              > Best Regards

              > DLX/MH14 AE4304/July' 04/47,451 km/18.61 kmpl 80% AC(last tank full)

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/indica- users/files/ Indica_DLX_ Fuel_log_ Deepak.xls

            • Damodar Kamath
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009

                Have you visited the "Tata Motors Assured" division yet? Perhaps they would offer a better value for your car. Just a thought.

                Regards,
                Damodar
                [ IndicaV2-DLE-PS, BS-II, Mar'01, 49.7k kms
                  Safari2.2VTT-LX, BS-III, May'08, 9.6k kms ]

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Hi Damodar,

                  Thanks for ur inputs @ "Tata Motors Assured" division. Alok Bhale has also suggested to check out Mahindra first choice. May be the coming week ends I can try getting my car evaluated from each of these.

                  From: achinjuneja <achinjuneja@ yahoo.co. uk>

                  To: indica-users@ yahoogroups. com

                  Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 9:27 AM

                  <deepak_umrankar@ ...> wrote:

                  > Hi,

                  > Since many days I have been contemplating on the idea of selling my

                  July04 DLX & go for a common rail diesel engine, mid siz segment (of

                  course with a boot to carry the extra luggage). THe frontrunner

                  amongst the latest models was Maruti DeZire, hence went to the nearby

                  Maruti showroom. Took a test drive of ZDI. The front & back seating

                  was very comfortable, the dash was also good. The pick up was decent.

                  However when I tried to drag the car at very low rpm on 3rd gear, the

                  car seemed to be struggling (we were 3 in the car with AC on). The

                  pulling was not that smooth as expected. The sales guy told me that

                  this being a demo car (which had already clocked 18K kms) has gone

                  through many amateurish hands. Hence it was not in perfect condition.

                  > Now came the turn of my July04 DLX Valuation. The evaluator asked me

                  to start the car & he opened the bonnet, removed the oil dip stick. He

                  pulled the accelerator cable, raced the engine above 3500 rpm. Did

                  this for quite some time. He then took a ride, accelerating harshly

                  till 3500rpm, before changing the gears (with AC on). Drove for @ a

                  km. Again opened the bonnet, removed the dip stick. To his dismay he

                  could not see any oil slpashes though the oil well, which he was

                  expecting. He said the car is in good condition as of now & warned

                  that it will start giving trouble after another 15K kms. He asked me @

                  my expectations. I said I dont have a figure, you simply quote yours.

                  He quoted a figure of INR 1.60 lacs. He said Indicas are being used by

                  call centres & have low resale value. Also to prove his point, he said

                  that an 06 Indigo LS which had run for 45K kms did not fetch more than

                  1.75 lacs. He also stated that TATAs have stopped the production of

                  > DLX models. I was amazed to hear this, but more than that very

                  disappointed by the manner in which he tried to downplay my car &

                  Indica in general. Despite explaining him that the car was driven

                  single handedly, running was below 50K, no major issues, he didnt

                  budge on the value.

                  > After this whole exercise, I have made up my mind that I will

                  continue with my DLX at least till such time that my car continues to

                  serve me w/o any major problems. I can very well do w/o a 3 box sedan.

                  > Drive Safe

                  > Best Regards

                  > DLX/MH14 AE4304/July' 04/47,451 km/18.61 kmpl 80% AC(last tank full)

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/indica- users/files/ Indica_DLX_ Fuel_log_ Deepak.xls

                  Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/

                • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
                    Hi Deepak,

                    > Thanks for the correction in the subject. The demo car had run 18K >
                    kms. To be honest the DeZire did not overwhelm me or probably I had >
                    set too high expectations, but that is what we expect from a new
                    > world class model, dont we?

                    Long back when I checked out the Swift in its diesel avatar, the main
                    grouse that I had with it (my wife had more vehement reactions) was
                    the lack of space in the rear. Though mine is a nuclear family, our
                    travels at the most with 5 people, space at the rear is a requirement.
                    I leave subjectual decisions of these sort to my wife who is good in
                    this. Though 5 ft 4 she likes space and so is better to judge that.

                    My Swift diesel test ride lasted almost all of a kilometre because the
                    sales executive was not interested in me and the diesel guage was
                    showing way less than what was comfortable. Coincidentally even my
                    Linea test drive was like that with very less fuel.

                    The Dzire rear space is just like Swift's with only the backrest angle
                    a little different resulting in a more comfortable posture (as
                    explained by others, never bothered to look at one).

                    So try a test drive from another dealer and maybe things will look
                    better, especially if you find a good deal for your DLX.

                    > but I was least aware that dealer would extract a margin as high as
                    > 40K (as he quoted 1.60 lacs). Wonder then what would be the margins
                    > on brand new cars?

                    The second hand dealer gets all is margins from just the sale whereas
                    your new car dealer has service margins to look for. New car margins
                    are not all that high is what I have heard.

                    Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
                    (Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 53620 (54756) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
                    (Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 28416 kms, 13.21 kpl, 55km/day)
                    (NO NEED FOR REGISTERING FOR THE ABOVE - MESSAGES TO BE READ ON THE WEB)