Re: [indica-users] interesting article on fuel economy

  • gautam singh
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 9:23 AM
      I am definitely in favour of driving between 45-55 Kmph. Thats what the Pune traffic also allows.
      Gautam Singh
      XETA GLS, June,2008 (180Km)

      From: Sanjay Karve <sdk29814@yahoo. com>
      To: indica-users@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, 29 June, 2008, 1:03 PM

      http://www.whatcar com/news- special-report. aspx?NA=233124& EL=3246288

      regards

      sanjay

      From Chandigarh to Chennai - find friends all over India. Go to http://in.promos yahoo.com/ groups/citygroup s/

    • gaitonde_un
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 8:35 PM
        But one is unable to cruise at that speed. The start-stop at
        crossings does take a major toll on the fuel.

        U N Gaitonde
        Indigo GLS Sept 2003 53000 km

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 3:24 AM
          The article concentrated about cruising on the motorway (in the UK). It's very different out here in the typical Indian city traffic. Most of us are able to get very decent FE numbers on highways anyway.

          A few comments on the article;
          1) Doesn't make a distinction between petrol and diesel engine - they do have different characteristics.
          2) Overly concentrates on the effects of speed - it's true, of course, that higher speeds mean higher drag. In the case of petrol engines, lower speeds would mean part-throttle operations, and the engine has to work against manifold vacuum leading to pumping losses. So, one has to strike a balance between losses from drag and those from part throttle operation. This is basically a case for smaller engines, at the cost of acceleration.
          Diesel engines do not suffer pumping loss, as there's no throttle.
          3) Over-emphasise friction related loss - this aspect in the article is ill-informed. Friction is a very small part of the overall loss. In fact, the higher loss at higher rpm is again from pumping loss.

          For our stop and go traffic, all we can do is to shut off engine at long stops, accelerate slowly and use the gas pedal and brakes as sparingly as possible. It'll take forever to get to where we are going, but it will save fuel!

          Dev