Re: [indica-users] Re:Bangalore Meet - Mar 2, 2008

  • james.r
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008
      Hi all,

      Just an update. Hrishi is nearing Vellore & i'm starting to join him.

      On 01/03/2008, Dr T R Rajesh Kumar <drtrrk.tiug@...> wrote:

      > Hi James,
      >
      > > back home.....Excited abt the meet....dats all I can say now.
      >
      > Perfect.
      >
      > Guys, on to the meet tomorrow!!
      > .

      james.r
      "Spark", Indica V2, DLE, BS-II, 16.1 k kms, TN23 AA 6946, Feb 05.

    • Hrishikesh Raghavan
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2008

        We're on for 10:15 at Cubbon Park. I have a small surprise for all
        you folks :-)

        Had a cracker of a drive yesterday. Started from Chennai at 12:05
        pm. Crossed the second toll plaza at Ranipet at 13:50 and almost
        missed James (due to a mismatch in flyover count). Stopped at Motel
        Rosin between Ambur and Vaniyambadi for some snacks (15:00 - 15:30).
        Reached Hosur at 16:40. Silk Board flyover at 17:15 (approx.)

        Hrishi
        LSi, March 2003, 84350 km, 11 kpl, Chennai

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, james.r <anandjamespaul@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Just an update. Hrishi is nearing Vellore & i'm starting to join
        him.

        > On 01/03/2008, Dr T R Rajesh Kumar <drtrrk.tiug@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi James,
        > >
        > > > back home.....Excited abt the meet....dats all I can say now.
        > >
        > > Perfect.
        > >
        > > Guys, on to the meet tomorrow!!
        > > .
        > >

        > --
        > Regards,
        > james.r
        > "Spark", Indica V2, DLE, BS-II, 16.1 k kms, TN23 AA 6946, Feb 05.

      • Nibu Thomas
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
          Fellow indica users,

          The 3rd TIUG meet in Bangalore (and my first) went on really well. I was at
          the venue at 9.45 (with all tails wagging;) Mahesh joined me at about 10:15.
          Soon we were joined by Karthik and his wife. We didn't have to wait long for
          Achin. Dr Rajesh, as promised had made it from Cochin by bus. We had the
          first laugh when he described his adventures on arrival. Hrishi and the rest
          of the gang soon joined us one after the other. Though everyone seemed
          excited, none of us were as excited as the parking attendant! Achin declared
          the meet would break the record if we had more than 10 members. We ended up
          with 12...(Dr Rajesh will be able to confirm - he was the one taking
          attendance!

          Achin examined each car and identified problems whenever he saw one. From
          EGRs that didn't work, to issues that Lucas can fix, and even problems that
          were really not problems! (Karthik can explain the latter one well :) He
          also demonstrated DEWS. Since Dr Rajesh had requested for a unit, he was the
          lucky one. Achin also said the next version of DEWS would include a mode
          that would display engine RPM. Those who have older models that does not
          have such a meter can make a request for one on this forum. I'm not sure of
          the price. Achin clarified that I didn't need DEWS as my music system has a
          mode that displays the battery output. Not everyone may agree with me, but
          DEWS though unquestionably useful, may find more takers (especially among
          higher end cars) if packaged differently. But again, there are people who
          would simply love it the way it is. I guess that is why we have transparent
          watches.

          Achin also pointed out that my car was a sort of tube light when it came to
          acceleration! With the bonnet open, he pulled the acceleration cable. He
          showed us that for a certain amount of cable pulled, there was no response
          from the engine. He showed me the screw that needs to be adjusted to set
          this right. He also showed us how idling is adjusted in the Indica.

          Hrishi and Dr Rajesh had come with stickers for the group. These were
          distributed among those who were present. A lot of questions were asked
          during this meet. How do turbo chargers work? How does the multijet engine
          work? Petrol vs Diesel questions. Questions about cars in the market. Achin
          answered all questions with his characteristic wit.

          Time flew and it was time to attend to our grumbling stomachs. Rice Bowl was
          just walking distance and Peter ensured that we had selected the best on the
          menu. And this time, Achin was prevented from doing a hatrick with the bill!

          And if you thought that was all, guess again. Hrishi showed us how GPS works
          with Google maps. He had a GPS receiver which he connected to his PDA and
          after it got its fix on the satellites, it told us where we were :)

          Most of us wanted Achin to test drive our cars. Perhaps next time we can
          have our wish come true:)

          Achin has given everybody homework - I've just completed mine :)

          Cheers!

          Nibu Thomas
          Indica Turbo June 2006, 23.5 K kms, 16kmpl, Bangalore

        • Nishant Gaidhani
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
            Yes!! We had great time

            We could cross the figure of 10, thanks to Dr Rajesh, Hrishi & James who really came a long way to meet us.
            And of course it was honor to have Achin here.

            Here are the pics.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/nishantgaidhani/sets/72157604023389464/
            Let me know if you have any problem accessing it.

            More details later,
            Nishant

[...]

            Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html

          • Hrishikesh Raghavan
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
              I enjoyed every minute of it.

              Thanks Bangalore guys for your warm hospitality. Thanks Achin &
              Rajesh for making it to Bangalore.

              James & I had an uneventful trip back.

              16:05 Started from Cubbon Park
              16:38 Topped up at Shell on Hosur Road
              18:30 Break for tea at Motel Rosin just after Pallikonda toll plaza
              18:55 Take off from Motel Rosin
              19:33 James gets off at Vellore
              21:28 I'm back home in Chennai. Topped up the tank after reaching

              Point to point: 353 km took 26.25 litres of unleaded - 13.45 kpl.
              This car still rocks! I'm not going to mention the speeds I was
              doing throughout the drive ;-)

              Cheers,
              Hrishi
              LSi, March 2003, 84730 km, 11 kpl, Chennai
            • srinath swamy
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008
                I am sorry i missed this, had to go out of station all of a sudden, waiting for the next meet,
                i was eagerly waiting for this meet from past 2 weeks,
                was very eager to meet all of the members, especially ACHIN sir,

                if someone can detail out about the tips and useful info discussed in the meet it will be gr8.

                regards
                Srinath (Xeta GLG, nov 2006, 13k)

                To: indica-users@yahoogroups.comFrom: nishant.gaidhani@...: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 21:36:55 +0530Subject: Re: [indica-users] Re:Bangalore Meet - Mar 2, 2008

                Yes!! We had great timeWe could cross the figure of 10, thanks to Dr Rajesh, Hrishi & James who really came a long way to meet us.And of course it was honor to have Achin here.Here are the pics.http://www.flickr.com/photos/nishantgaidhani/sets/72157604023389464/Let me know if you have any problem accessing it.More details later,Nishant----- Original Message ----From: Nibu Thomas <triedeverything@...>To: indica-users@yahoogroups.comSent: Sunday, 2 March, 2008 8:48:04 PMSubject: Re: [indica-users] Re:Bangalore Meet - Mar 2, 2008Fellow indica users,The 3rd TIUG meet in Bangalore (and my first) went on really well. I was atthe venue at 9.45 (with all tails wagging;) Mahesh joined me at about 10:15.Soon we were joined by Karthik and his wife. We didn't have to wait long forAchin. Dr Rajesh, as promised had made it from Cochin by bus. We had thefirst laugh when he described his adventures on arrival. Hrishi and the restof the gang soon joined us one after the other. Though everyone seemedexcited, none of us were as excited as the parking attendant! Achin declaredthe meet would break the record if we had more than 10 members. We ended upwith 12...(Dr Rajesh will be able to confirm - he was the one takingattendance!Achin examined each car and identified problems whenever he saw one. FromEGRs that didn't work, to issues that Lucas can fix, and even problems thatwere really not problems! (Karthik can explain the latter one well :) Healso demonstrated DEWS. Since Dr Rajesh had requested for a unit, he was thelucky one. Achin also said the next version of DEWS would include a modethat would display engine RPM. Those who have older models that does nothave such a meter can make a request for one on this forum. I'm not sure ofthe price. Achin clarified that I didn't need DEWS as my music system has amode that displays the battery output. Not everyone may agree with me, butDEWS though unquestionably useful, may find more takers (especially amonghigher end cars) if packaged differently. But again, there are people whowould simply love it the way it is. I guess that is why we have transparentwatches.Achin also pointed out that my car was a sort of tube light when it came toacceleration! With the bonnet open, he pulled the acceleration cable. Heshowed us that for a certain amount of cable pulled, there was no responsefrom the engine. He showed me the screw that needs to be adjusted to setthis right. He also showed us how idling is adjusted in the Indica.Hrishi and Dr Rajesh had come with stickers for the group. These weredistributed among those who were present. A lot of questions were askedduring this meet. How do turbo chargers work? How does the multijet enginework? Petrol vs Diesel questions. Questions about cars in the market. Achinanswered all questions with his characteristic wit.Time flew and it was time to attend to our grumbling stomachs. Rice Bowl wasjust walking distance and Peter ensured that we had selected the best on themenu. And this time, Achin was prevented from doing a hatrick with the bill!And if you thought that was all, guess again. Hrishi showed us how GPS workswith Google maps. He had a GPS receiver which he connected to his PDA andafter it got its fix on the satellites, it told us where we were :)Most of us wanted Achin to test drive our cars. Perhaps next time we canhave our wish come true:)Achin has given everybody homework - I've just completed mine :)Cheers!Nibu ThomasIndica Turbo June 2006, 23.5 K kms, 16kmpl, Bangalore[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Get the freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed]

              • Karthikeyan Chellappa
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 2, 2008

                  It was wonderful to attend this meet and meet everyone. By the time everyone
                  arrived it was 10:45AM. We had a lot of time so we were engaged in casual
                  discussions before moving on to more serious stuff. Achin gave us a demo of
                  DEWS (Drivers Early Warning System) and then we started the car inspection.
                  It was really amazing to watch Achin show us the cause of different issues.
                  We learnt a lot. I told Achin that I was unhappy with my mileage, then we
                  opened the bonnet of my car and Achin asked me to start the engine. On
                  hearing the sound, his only comment was 'your car must be giving you great
                  pickup'. I disagreed with him and stated that all the 800's on the road were
                  overtaking me. :-( Both Achin and Hrishi told me the problem was not in my
                  car but with my driving style. Hrishi then took me in my car for a test
                  drive and showed me its true potential. I must admit I've never driven my
                  car in that way. I've learnt a lot from this meet, and I hope we have many
                  more such meetings in the future. My special thanks to all those who came to
                  attend this meet from different parts of India. I hope to return the favour
                  someday.

                  Karthikeyan
                  Xeta GLS 1.2 (Petrol), Bangalore, Jun 2007, 4500kms, 11.89kmpl

                • stmani73
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Hi Guys,

                    It was wonderful to meet all of you - particularly Dr.Rajesh who had
                    come all the way from Kerala.

                    The session as usual was very informative. I had a chance to look at
                    different versions of Indica and see the new things in them. I also
                    saw the inside of the petrol version for the first time.

                    The best parts were the DEWS and Achin's explanation of the anti-
                    submarine seat. I definitely need one DEWS for me.

                    After the meet, I also had a look at the Sumo Grande. Looks good. I
                    will definitely consider this for my next buy.

                    Regards
                    Thiru
                    (DLX, 53000 kms, 16 kmpl blr city)

                    --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Karthikeyan
                    Chellappa" <justchells@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > thought that was all, guess again. Hrishi showed us how GPS
                    workswith Google
                    > > maps. He had a GPS receiver which he connected to his PDA
                    andafter it got
                    > > its fix on the satellites, it told us where we were :)Most of us
                    wanted
                    > > Achin to test drive our cars. Perhaps next time we canhave our
                    wish come
                    > > true:)Achin has given everybody homework - I've just completed
                    mine
                    > > :)Cheers!Nibu ThomasIndica Turbo June 2006, 23.5 K kms, 16kmpl,
                    > > Bangalore[Non-text portions of this message have been
                    removed]Get the
                    > > freedom to save as many mails as you wish. To know how, go to
                    > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-
                    08.html[Non-text
                    > > portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Hi Nibu,

                      > Not everyone may agree with me, but DEWS though unquestionably
                      > useful, may find more takers (especially among higher end cars) if
                      > packaged differently. But again, there are people who would simply
                      > love it the way it is. I guess that is why we have transparent
                      > watches.

                      I am just putting in what I have understood so far. The piece I got
                      from Achin is prototype number 4 and is not yet 'commercially'
                      released. I would have serious doubts about a 'commercial' launch
                      knowing Achin.

                      The project was started to help the group members know about the
                      battery / alternator related problems easily.

                      The discussion is quite old now and a search in the archive would be
                      quite useful to see to the extent DEWS can be taken.

                      But I fully agree with you that the packaging has to be different if
                      it were to be launched 'commercially'.

                      Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
                      (Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 38298 kms, 13.97 kpl, 45km/day)
                      (Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 8433 kms, 13.33 kpl, 55km/day)
                    • Pranesh S.Badami
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 15, 2008
                        I echo srinath's thoughts - had marked my "memory calender" soon
                        after the meet was anounced, but this got "erased" as it neared; next
                        thing was when I read the updates from you all. Hope to make it next
                        time...
                        Pranesh

                        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, srinath swamy <srinath_mys@...>

                        <triedeverything@...>To: indica-users@...: Sunday, 2 March, 2008
[...]
                      • Prashant Gunjal
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 5, 2008
                          Hi Karthikeyan,
                          I have recently purchased an Indica Xeta 1.2 GLG after selling my

                          I am facing some issues with "pickup" which I think maybe due to my
                          driving style, just as in your case.

                          Therefore, the tips you received from Achin & Hrishi maybe helpful to
                          me too. Can you share those tips with me too please?

                          Thanks for the help.

                          Regards,
                          Prashant
                          9890119505