RE: [indica-users] 4 headlamps fused in 2 days

  • DEEPAK UMRANKAR
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi Sameer,

      --- "Chivate, Sameer" <sameer.chivate@...> wrote:

      > I have done alternator repairs three times on my
      > DLE, I will need to dig
      > out the records to check exactly which parts were
      > replaced.

      Good to see your reply after such a long time. I would
      really appreciate if you can dig out that valuable
      info regarding alternator repairs, parts replaced,
      their charges etc & post it on the group for the
      benefit of all. From where did you get it repaired?

      Rgds
      Deepak

      Drive Safe

      DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/39,782km/16.94kmpl(last tank full)

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • anil daniel
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
        hi Deepak,

        Did the TASC do some alterations for using 90/100
        bulbs ?

        I had a similar problem where in the left high beam
        filament used to go off always, after around two years
        of purchase. We did change the bulbs when ever it went
        off until one day when I noticed the following... For
        my DLS, the TASC had changed the relays and bulb
        holder wiring for using 90/100. The folks had not
        changed the left side bulb holder and wires (either
        missed it out or TASC stole the changed ones when
        given for service) and the same had got heated up and
        melted. This had caused loose connection on the holder
        and sparks and bulb got fuse. I got the holder and
        attached wires changed and since them the issue has
        not come up...So, could u please verify the holders
        pls ?

        --- DEEPAK UMRANKAR <deepak_umrankar@...> wrote:

        > Hi Sameer,
        >
        > --- "Chivate, Sameer" <sameer.chivate@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I have done alternator repairs three times on my
        > > DLE, I will need to dig
        > > out the records to check exactly which parts were
        > > replaced.
        >
        > Good to see your reply after such a long time. I
        > would
        > really appreciate if you can dig out that valuable
        > info regarding alternator repairs, parts replaced,
        > their charges etc & post it on the group for the
        > benefit of all. From where did you get it repaired?
        >
        > Rgds
        > Deepak
        >
        > Drive Safe
        >
        > DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/39,782km/16.94kmpl(last tank
        > full)

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        Regards
        Anil Daniel
        DLG-/2005 May/25600 KM/14.5 - 19 KM/L /Bangalore
        DLS-/2001 March/1.19 Lakhs KM/14-19 Km/L /Calicut /89K KM on OEM Tyres/

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • DEEPAK UMRANKAR
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
          Hi Anil,

          --- anil daniel <anilsam_98@...> wrote:

          > hi Deepak,
          >
          > Did the TASC do some alterations for using 90/100
          > bulbs ?

          My case is a bit different. Instead of getting the
          relay & wiring fixed from TASC I did it from one of my
          trusted mechanics. So tampering with the electricals
          or missing out on something is a very remote
          possiblity. Since the day the lamps fused I have
          noticed two other phenomenon:
          1. Momentarily the sound (amplitude) of the horn
          changes, weak sound is produced.
          2. When this happens the RPM meter also stops
          functioning.

          Does the above two phenomenon co-relate with the lamps
          fusing?

          Rgds
          Deepak

          Drive Safe

          DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/39,782km/16.94kmpl(last tank full)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Achin Juneja
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
            Deepak,

            > 1. Momentarily the sound (amplitude) of the horn
            > changes, weak sound is produced.
            > 2. When this happens the RPM meter also stops
            > functioning.

            The final clue is point (2), as the rpm signal is taken from the
            rectifier unit in the alternator.
            The defect is probably a dry solder on one of the diodes (there are
            six) in the rectifier plate. This can cause a momentary voltage surge
            on the 12 volt line. A 100w bulb filament is most likely to fail when
            switched on at this higher voltage because the cold resistance of the
            100w filament is only 0.35 ohm, resulting in a surge current
            sufficient to burn out the filament.
            Best repaired at Lucas SC. Get them to check the rectifier plate
            closely. In any case, a new rectifier plate assy will cost approx. Rs.250.
            Lucas labour charges for removal, checking & refitting the alternator
            are Rs. 500.

            Drive safe,
            Achin Juneja
          • anil daniel
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
              hi Deepak,

              I had a similar issue...RPM meter stops for
              sometime.....Lights go dim...A/C power reduces...Horns
              gets weezing....Also, I can hear a additional humming
              noise when this happens..there is more resistance for
              the engine to rev up...

              Achin suggested that issue is with regulator plate
              which is inside alternator..

              TASC sent alternator to Lucas. They replaced the
              regulator plate with a repaired one...Issue came up
              again...Again at the TASC, folks replaced it with a
              new one and claimed it under warranty...

              So, if ur vehicle is out of warranty, pls approch
              Lucas directly....

              Regards
              Anil

              --- Achin Juneja <achinjuneja@...> wrote:

              > Deepak,
              >
              > > 1. Momentarily the sound (amplitude) of the horn
              > > changes, weak sound is produced.
              > > 2. When this happens the RPM meter also stops
              > > functioning.
              >
              > The final clue is point (2), as the rpm signal is
              > taken from the
              > rectifier unit in the alternator.
              > The defect is probably a dry solder on one of the
              > diodes (there are
              > six) in the rectifier plate. This can cause a
              > momentary voltage surge
              > on the 12 volt line. A 100w bulb filament is most
              > likely to fail when
              > switched on at this higher voltage because the cold
              > resistance of the
              > 100w filament is only 0.35 ohm, resulting in a
              > surge current
              > sufficient to burn out the filament.
              > Best repaired at Lucas SC. Get them to check the
              > rectifier plate
              > closely. In any case, a new rectifier plate assy
              > will cost approx. Rs.250.
              > Lucas labour charges for removal, checking &
              > refitting the alternator
              > are Rs. 500.
              >
              > Drive safe,
              > Achin Juneja

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Chivate, Sameer
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
                Deepak,

                After the insightful response from Achin sir, I don't think you need any more details from me... still, the shops where I got the repairs done are:

                1. Sethi Spares - this is a Lucas Authorised service center, next to City Pride, Satara Road
                2. Chandrakant Batteries - this is right next to Pandit Auto, on Tilak Road.

                I found the service levels quite satisfactory in both the places. Knowing where you stay, I guess these shops are far too away for you..

                Achin sir, it was nice to hear from you, after a long time!! We missed you...

                Regards,
                Sameer.

                MH12AN2597, DLE, Jul 2k, 91k km, 18kmpl
                MH12DE2387, DLG TCIC, Mar 06, 20k km, 17kmpl
                Pune

                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                  Hi Achin/Sameer/Prasada/Anil/Abhishek/Cool Guy/James &
                  others,

                  Thank you one & all for your valuable inputs. I have
                  noted down all your suggestions. Will try to analyse
                  those over the week end. I dont know if time could
                  permit me to really act on your suggestions.
                  Nevertheless I shall keep you posted.

                  Today morning while coming to office I made this
                  observation. For some time the tahco needle was stuck
                  at one place & for that duration the blower speed
                  increased almost 1.5 times. Now this had made me
                  firmly believe in your theory.

                  Hope I can get this sorted out at the earliest.

                  Rgds
                  Deepak

                  Drive Safe

                  DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/39,782km/16.94kmpl(last tank full)

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rajiv Narvekar
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2007
                    Hi Deepak

                    Last evening I switched to 90/100 bulbs in my new DLG. I had gone for my first free service. Odometer reading was 1210. Today in the evening both my low beams fused. I had got the job done at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.

                    I realise that when I switch on my hi beam the RPM drops down slightly, and when I switch it to lo beam (not working currently) the rpm rises.

                    I am taking it to Prerana tomorrow and then will give the feedback.
                    In my other Indica I have had no problems with the 90/100 bulbs for 2 yrs running...

                    Regards
                    Rajiv

                    Dr Rajiv S Narvekar
                    Technology and Innovation Management
                    SETLabs, Infosys

                  • DEEPAK UMRANKAR
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2007
                      Hi Rajiv,

                      --- Rajiv Narvekar <youngrajiv@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Deepak
                      >
                      > Last evening I switched to 90/100 bulbs in my new
                      > DLG. I had gone for my first free service. Odometer
                      > reading was 1210. Today in the evening both my low
                      > beams fused. I had got the job done at Prerana
                      > Motors, Bangalore.
                      >
                      > I realise that when I switch on my hi beam the RPM
                      > drops down slightly, and when I switch it to lo beam
                      > (not working currently) the rpm rises.

                      Were your low beam lamps switched on when they got
                      fused? In my case on both the instances the high beam
                      filaments were fused while using the flasher (once
                      during day time & second during evening). Most
                      probable cause of this as suggested by experts over
                      here, seems to be the faulty regulator in the
                      alternator, which gives a momentary surge in voltage
                      (perhaps due to a dry solder). Havent yet been able to
                      spare time to take the vehicle to Lucas TVS SC.

                      > I am taking it to Prerana tomorrow and then will
                      > give the feedback.
                      > In my other Indica I have had no problems with the
                      > 90/100 bulbs for 2 yrs running...

                      Even I had no problems at all for the last 14 months.
                      & suddenly I had to wash off my hands with two pairs
                      of expensive lamps. Now that I have switched back to
                      55/60W halogens, I am going to observe how long they
                      survive. If they too fail to sustain I will get the
                      alternator work done without losing any more time &
                      money.

                      You pl keep us posted @ your findings at Prerana
                      motors.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2007
                        Hi Everybody

                        The problem with my lamps was a loose connection. My bulbs had not fused...they were simply not connected.

                        The best practise is to get a separate harness and fuse holders instead of getting it wired at a local mechanic. Local mechanics simply hardwire it.

                        Deepak check for loose contacts. I know the loose contact / dry solder could be anywhere...

                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
                          Hi Rajiv,

                          --- Rajiv Narvekar <youngrajiv@...> wrote:

                          > The problem with my lamps was a loose connection.
                          > My bulbs had not fused...they were simply not
                          > connected.

                          > Deepak check for loose contacts. I know the loose
                          > contact / dry solder could be anywhere...

                          Lucky you that it was just a lose connection. Mine is
                          a case of complete blow-out. I have keenly observed
                          the hi-beam filaments & in all the 4 cases, the wire
                          had literally melted to become a tiny (1 mm dia) ball.

                          Since you mentioned @ the tacho behaviour I thought
                          yours would be a similar case as mine.

                          Rgds
                          Deepak

                          Drive Safe

                          DLX/MH14 AE4304/July'04/39,782km/16.94kmpl(last tank full)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • james.r
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 5, 2007
                            Rajiv hi,

                            If urs is a 2007 model with that HL auto leveler, plz stay off from 100/90
                            bulbs. The reflector will melt when used continuously during a nite drive.
                            My friend changed 2 sets so far & now he stays off from 100/90 bulbs.

                            @ Deepak,

                            Waiting for the bulb to fuse may make u face some more problems. Please give
                            immediate attention & solve the issue.

                            > Hi Deepak
                            >
                            > Last evening I switched to 90/100 bulbs in my new DLG. I had gone for my
                            > first free service. Odometer reading was 1210. Today in the evening both my
                            > low beams fused. I had got the job done at Prerana Motors, Bangalore.
                            >
                            > I realise that when I switch on my hi beam the RPM drops down slightly,
                            > and when I switch it to lo beam (not working currently) the rpm rises.
                            >
                            > I am taking it to Prerana tomorrow and then will give the feedback.
                            > In my other Indica I have had no problems with the 90/100 bulbs for 2 yrs
                            > running...
                            >
                            > Regards
                            > Rajiv<<<<
                            > .

                            james.r
                            "Spark", Indica V2, DLE, BS-II, 14.6 k kms, TN23 AA 6946, Feb 05.