Route from Bangalore to Alleppey

  • George K
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi All,
      I plan to drive down to Kerala in a couple of weeks time. This is my first
      inter-state drive so am not sure how are things done.
      I plan to put in my car for its 4th free service (even though it would have
      just reach about 19K at that time )next week before driving down. Would this
      be wise idea? Or should I first drive down and then take it for service?
      Other than a spare tube is there something I should carry?
      Can somebody please suggest which is the easiest route to take?

      Thanks and Regards,
      George

      BLR-DLG-TCIC,May '06 18.7K , 14.5kmpl, 90%AC

    • rajeevjay
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi George,

        The best route is this:

        Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur ghat - take a right immdly
        after the ghat - Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur -
        Ernakulam - Alleppey

        I think it's around 650 kms.

        Have a great trip.

        Rajeev

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "George K" <tuxgeok@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I plan to drive down to Kerala in a couple of weeks time. This is
        my first
        > inter-state drive so am not sure how are things done.
        > I plan to put in my car for its 4th free service (even though it
        would have
        > just reach about 19K at that time )next week before driving down.
        Would this
        > be wise idea? Or should I first drive down and then take it for service?
        > Other than a spare tube is there something I should carry?
        > Can somebody please suggest which is the easiest route to take?
        >

        > Thanks and Regards,
        > George
        >
        > BLR-DLG-TCIC,May '06 18.7K , 14.5kmpl, 90%AC

      • peter harrison
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi George,

          Its just one great highway all the way up to Alleppey. The only bad stretch is between Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri. The roads are bad and you will be traveling through towns.

          I used to travel the following route:

          Hosure - Krishnagiri - Dhramapuri - Erode - Salem - Avinashi - Coimbatoor - Palaghat - Thrissur - Cochin - Allppey - Kollam ( please note that you will not get into any towns, you will be taking the bypass )

          Hey Rajeev, I have never tried the Mettur route, though all the buses take that route and heard that the distance is also less. How is the route?

          I normally start at 4:30 am from Banaswadi. Mostly the breakfast is packed, so we just may or may not stop the car for breakfast. We have it as we goes. Spouse will feed the kid and me. We reach Trichur by around 1 Pm and have our lunch there.

          Regarding service, If you feel you will be be able to take it to the TASC withn 500km from the prescribed odo reading, you better get the car serviced and then start the journey. Try to take max speed in the morning on good roads as the traffic will be less. Once its past 10 - 11 am then you will have bikes and cycles on the road. Be careful with the Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri stretch, the roads and bad and don't get your rims bent in that route.

          Some preparation: Check the tyre pressure the night before you leave. Top up the tank. Before you start in the morning, Clean your wind screen and the other glasses with some good glass cleaner. Also add some solution in your wiper tank along with water so your bladed wipe smoothly. Heard the monsoons are bad in Kerala so have a check on your wiper blades too. In case you have women in the car, there is an A1 Reliance bunk with restaurant as soon as you near Krishnagiri and as you go along. This will help them. They are clean too. Drive the car throughout the journey with the AC on. Also it will reduce friction and you guys wont be tired too. Important the Driver needs a good sleep before the travel. So sleep early and make sure you get proper rest. Also the excitement what you have while visiting you native is not always there when you travel back. Hence make sure you follow the above instruction very strict on your way back.

          Happy mototing

          Thanks and regards,

          Peter Harrison
          BLR-INDICA-Turbo-SM-DLX-Aug 06 -(11.50kmpl City) - [12850km-60% A/C] - - HP TurboJet - Daily Run 33 Kms

          Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Thoppur ghat - take a right immdly

          after the ghat - Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palakkad - Thrissur -

          Ernakulam - Alleppey

          I think it's around 650 kms.

          Have a great trip.

          Rajeev

          --- In indica-users@ yahoogroups. com, "George K" <tuxgeok@... > wrote:

          > Hi All,

          > I plan to drive down to Kerala in a couple of weeks time. This is

          my first

          > inter-state drive so am not sure how are things done.

          > I plan to put in my car for its 4th free service (even though it

          would have

          > just reach about 19K at that time )next week before driving down.

          Would this

          > be wise idea? Or should I first drive down and then take it for service?

          > Other than a spare tube is there something I should carry?

          > Can somebody please suggest which is the easiest route to take?

          > Thanks and Regards,

          > George

          > BLR-DLG-TCIC, May '06 18.7K , 14.5kmpl, 90%AC

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • C. M. Jayan
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hi George
            The route is salem, erode, coimbatore, palaghat, ernakulam, chertala & alleppey.
            but i have my doubts if you can make this trip along kerala keeping you car in single piece. I guess if we could enable our car to fly which could be the easiest route.
            My word of advise before you take this venture to kerala, is please abtain driving to this part of India for the time being.
            The road from Walayar, Palaghat till Trissur is in a terrible situation, from your mail I understand that you will be going for the 4th service, which means its a new car. And I am sure once you are able to cross these deadly potholed roads your car may need more than what is done in 4th service. The roads are in a very bad shape (infact I would say there exist no roads at all). I recently drove to Coimbatore by road from Ernakulam, and it took me nearly 3 hours to clear 85 km stretch, the most stunning thing I noticed is there are huge pothole that resembles a Well (hell), and I am short on words to explain the tough time I had manouvering them. I could hear most of the other car getting hit on the ground. At the end of the day you will face, Wheels misaligned, worn-out tyre edges and many more. The condition is same with every roads in Kerala...
            kerala government will soon come out with compulsory rules (like helmet) making it mandatory that Hummers should be driven and nothing else since we do not have roads for cars and other vehicles..this is Dogs Own Country...man.
            drive safely...
            JJ
            DLG, Aug 05, 31050km, 18/pl, 80% AC.

            George K <tuxgeok@...> wrote:
            Hi All,
            I plan to drive down to Kerala in a couple of weeks time. This is my first
            inter-state drive so am not sure how are things done.
            I plan to put in my car for its 4th free service (even though it would have
            just reach about 19K at that time )next week before driving down. Would this
            be wise idea? Or should I first drive down and then take it for service?
            Other than a spare tube is there something I should carry?
            Can somebody please suggest which is the easiest route to take?

            Thanks and Regards,
            George

            BLR-DLG-TCIC,May '06 18.7K , 14.5kmpl, 90%AC

          • Jobin George
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              That used to be the case before.
              Now....
              dont expect anything other than 'THE worst' when you enter Kerala. From
              valayar atleast till Trissur you will be crawling. otherwise your car is not
              gona make it in once piece.

              Last week I had a drive and it took 4hrs more than usual to finish the
              drive. Govt hasnt done anything on roads after that. the rain hasnt stopped
              there too.
              Muthiran Kayattam area roads now resemble to a land slide zone.
              Some areas I was amazed to see Leyland buses hitting the bottom with huge
              sound.

              So keep these things in mind and proceed.

              Drive Safe
              Jo

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                There is one option to avoid this stretch if you are comfortable taking a
                narrow stretch of 50km (chinnar munnar route)
                Deviate from vijayamangalam (after Perumdurai) and take the munnar route.

                Tiruppur- Palladam- Udumalpet- Marayoor-
                Munnar- Kothamangalam - Muvattupuzha - Vyttila - Aroor - Cherthala -
                Alleppey

                -Jo-

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Hi All,
                  Thanks for your valuable suggestions. After going thro' the mails I am now
                  thinking whether it would be a wise move at all to drive down given the
                  conditions of the road.. you guys are scaring me :) I will keep you posted
                  on my trip plans..
                  Thanks once again for the suggestions..

                  Regards,
                  George

                  On 10/2/07, Jobin George <jobingeo@...> wrote:

                  > There is one option to avoid this stretch if you are comfortable taking
                  > narrow stretch of 50km (chinnar munnar route)
                  > Deviate from vijayamangalam (after Perumdurai) and take the munnar route.
                  >
                  > Tiruppur- Palladam- Udumalpet- Marayoor-
                  > Munnar- Kothamangalam - Muvattupuzha - Vyttila - Aroor - Cherthala -
                  > Alleppey
                  >
                  > -Jo-
                  >

                  > On 10/2/07, Jobin George <jobingeo@... <jobingeo%40gmail.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > That used to be the case before.
                  > > Now....
                  > > dont expect anything other than 'THE worst' when you enter Kerala. From
                  > > valayar atleast till Trissur you will be crawling. otherwise your car is
                  > not
                  > > gona make it in once piece.
                  > >
                  > > Last week I had a drive and it took 4hrs more than usual to finish the
                  > > drive. Govt hasnt done anything on roads after that. the rain hasnt
                  > stopped
                  > > there too.
                  > > Muthiran Kayattam area roads now resemble to a land slide zone.
                  > > Some areas I was amazed to see Leyland buses hitting the bottom with
                  > huge
                  > > sound.
                  > >
                  > > So keep these things in mind and proceed.
                  > >
                  > > Drive Safe
                  > > Jo
                  > >
                  > > On 10/1/07, peter harrison <peter_harri@...<peter_harri%40yahoo.com>>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi George,
                  > > >
                  > > > Its just one great highway all the way up to Alleppey. The only bad
                  > > > stretch is between Krishnagiri and Dharmapuri. The roads are bad and
                  > you
                  > > > will be traveling through towns.
                  > > >

                  > --

                • rajeevjay
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                    --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, peter harrison <peter_harri@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hey Rajeev, I have never tried the Mettur route, though all the
                    buses take that route and heard that the distance is also less. How is
                    the route?

                    Hi Peter,

                    What you save is only around 20 kms if you go via Mettur. But that
                    road is in good condition and there is very little traffic. Only near
                    the dam, you have to drive slow. But then the dam looks pretty nice.
                    On the other hand, the Thoppur - Salem - Coimbatore road is being
                    widened and hence you have to really slow down after every two or
                    three kms. There are many stretches where traffic from both directions
                    is diverted to one side.

                    >Also the excitement what you have while visiting you native is not
                    >always there when you travel back.

                    Very true.:) The journey seems worse on your way back.

                    I read in Manorama that they have started patch up work on the
                    Palakkad- Thrissur route. So, it might be reasonably motorable by the
                    end of September if there are no more rains.