Engine Oil

  • Jagjit Singh Uppal
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2007
      Which is best engine oil for Diesel Version Indica V2 Models.
    • divyamj
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2007
        GTD Magnatec along with STP Engine Flush D @ Rs 180
      • Jagjit Singh Uppal
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2007
          Why not onlt GTD Magnatec alone? What's the use of STP Engine Flush D
          as my Indica V2 has done only 21000kms.
        • amit.4.gupta@bt.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2007
            Hi ,

            I was with a friend of mine last weekend who is a castrol Dealer, and he
            showed me a new synthetic oil Castrol EDGE
            which is OEM for Mercedes / BMW etc.

            Imported from Malaysia, costs around 2200/= ( maybe more , I dont
            remember correctly but can confirm ) for 4 Ltr pack or so.

            Said it does make a diference, and I see no reason to disbelieve him.
            Anyone tested that ?
            I have just had my 30,000 KM service done, else I would have tried that.

            Also do i need to go to TASC, for every oil / Filter change and give
            them 3000/= Rs when I can have the same done at 1500/=.

            I mean If I keep the bills of the consumables as proof of regular
            service / maintenance outside TASC, will that affect the Extended
            Warranty in any way ?
            ( 1 Year Warranty or 18 months warranty is already over )

            Regards
            Amit

            Indica DLG Aug 2005, 31000 + Kms 16 KMPL City

            ________________________________

            Which is best engine oil for Diesel Version Indica V2 Models.

          • RK
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 2, 2007
              amit.4.gupta@... wrote:

              > Hi ,
              >
              > I was with a friend of mine last weekend who is a castrol Dealer, and he
              > showed me a new synthetic oil Castrol EDGE
              > which is OEM for Mercedes / BMW etc.
              This one is totally synthetic or Synthetic based?
              ~RK
              2004 Sept Lsi V2, OMG 22k Only!, 13/17 kmpl, Castrol Magnatec, Gear
              Controlled
            • RK
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2007
                RK wrote:
                > amit.4.gupta@... wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi ,
                > >
                > > I was with a friend of mine last weekend who is a castrol Dealer,
                and he
                > > showed me a new synthetic oil Castrol EDGE
                > > which is OEM for Mercedes / BMW etc.
                > This one is totally synthetic or Synthetic based?

                Never mind got my answer... May be I will put this oil in the car. It
                will be cheaper in the longer run. BTW how is it compared to Mobil 1?

                ~RK
                2004 Sept Lsi V2, OMG 22k Only!, 13/17 kmpl, Castrol Magnatec, Gear
                Controlled
              • Achin Juneja
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Dear Sir,

                  I would like to bring to your attention the fact that using an expensive
                  synthetic oil in a low-performance diesel engine like the Indica BS-1,2 or 3
                  diesel, is a sheer waste of money. It has been demonstrated practically that
                  there is no improvement in the following parameters :
                  a) Engine wear.
                  b) mileage.
                  c) Engine noise.
                  d) Oil change interval.
                  e) Soot dispersal.
                  f) Cold starting.

                  It's your money, after all !

                  Drive safe,
                  Achin Juneja

                  > I was with a friend of mine last weekend who is a castrol Dealer, and he
                  > showed me a new synthetic oil Castrol EDGE
                  > which is OEM for Mercedes / BMW etc.
                  >
                  > Imported from Malaysia, costs around 2200/= ( maybe more , I dont
                  > remember correctly but can confirm ) for 4 Ltr pack or so.
                  >
                  > Said it does make a diference, and I see no reason to disbelieve him.
                  > Anyone tested that ?
                  > I have just had my 30,000 KM service done, else I would have tried that.
                  >

                  > Also do i need to go to TASC, for every oil / Filter change and give
                  > them 3000/= Rs when I can have the same done at 1500/=.
                  >
                  > I mean If I keep the bills of the consumables as proof of regular
                  > service / maintenance outside TASC, will that affect the Extended
                  > Warranty in any way ?
                  > ( 1 Year Warranty or 18 months warranty is already over )
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Amit
                  >
                  > Indica DLG Aug 2005, 31000 + Kms 16 KMPL City
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • RK
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 3, 2007
                    Achin Juneja wrote:
                    > there is no improvement in the following parameters :
                    > a) Engine wear.
                    > b) mileage.
                    > c) Engine noise.
                    > d) Oil change interval.
                    > e) Soot dispersal.
                    > f) Cold starting.
                    >
                    > It's your money, after all !

                    Achin,
                    Does same hold true in case of Petrol car as well? I am
                    looking for synthetic oil just for following two reasons:
                    1. The oil should maintain its viscous properties for a long
                    duration... about an year at least.
                    2. Make the oil change interval really long... about an year or so.

                    Please let me know your comments for the same. Also, being
                    curious I would like to know articles where I can read about the
                    results about Diesel cars... just for learning sake.

                    Thanks in advance.
                    ~RK
                    2004 Sept Lsi V2, OMG 22k Only!, 13/17 kmpl, Castrol Magnatec, Gear
                    Controlled
                  • George K
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Last month I had been to a checkup camp here at Bangalore and the topic of
                      engine oil came up.
                      The engineer advised not to go for the expensive ones which claim oil
                      change only once a year as this may void the warranty. The engineer
                      explained that while settling warranty claims one of the first things that
                      is looked up is the service records and if the oil has not been changed as
                      per the recommendations given by Tata Motors, which is usually 6 months or
                      10000kms whichever comes first, then the claim is likely to be rejected.
                      So as far as i understand, no oil change then kiss your warranty goodbye.

                      George
                      DLG TC May'06, 14.5K, 13kmpl, 80%AC, Bgl

                      On 7/3/07, RK <x.techie@...> wrote:

                      > Achin Juneja wrote:
                      > > there is no improvement in the following parameters :
                      > > a) Engine wear.
                      > > b) mileage.
                      > > c) Engine noise.
                      > > d) Oil change interval.
                      > > e) Soot dispersal.
                      > > f) Cold starting.
                      > >
                      > > It's your money, after all !
                      >
                      > Achin,
                      > Does same hold true in case of Petrol car as well? I am
                      > looking for synthetic oil just for following two reasons:
                      > 1. The oil should maintain its viscous properties for a long
                      > duration... about an year at least.
                      > 2. Make the oil change interval really long... about an year or so.
                      >
                      > Please let me know your comments for the same. Also, being
                      > curious I would like to know articles where I can read about the
                      > results about Diesel cars... just for learning sake.
                      >
                      > Thanks in advance.
                      > ~RK
                      > 2004 Sept Lsi V2, OMG 22k Only!, 13/17 kmpl, Castrol Magnatec, Gear
                      > Controlled

                    • RK
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007
                        George K wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        > Last month I had been to a checkup camp here at Bangalore and the
                        > topic of engine oil came up. The engineer advised not to go for the
                        > expensive ones which claim oil change only once a year as this may
                        > void the warranty. The engineer explained that while settling
                        > warranty claims one of the first things that is looked up is the
                        > service records and if the oil has not been changed as per the
                        > recommendations given by Tata Motors, which is usually 6 months or
                        > 10000kms whichever comes first, then the claim is likely to be
                        > rejected. So as far as i understand, no oil change then kiss your
                        > warranty goodbye.

                        He he... my car will be done with its warranty in coming Sept and them
                        I am all ready for experimentation. Of course Mobil 1 oil change is
                        something that I am looking forward, however am waiting for a reply
                        from Achin.

                        ~RK
                        2004 Sept Lsi V2, OMG 22k Only!, 13/17 kmpl, Castrol Magnatec, Gear
                        Controlled
                      • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 4, 2007

                          > > d) Oil change interval.
                          > 2. Make the oil change interval really long... about an year or so.

                          Long back when I checked out the Mobil site, it was clearly mentioned
                          that though their synthetics can last for much longer, it advised its
                          customers to adhere to the oil change intervals of the respective car
                          manufacturer / model.

                          Once you are out of warranty, it does not matter.

                          Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
                          (Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 25205 kms, 13.87 kpl, KL 04 T7722, 42km/day)
                          (Innova V Diesel, Jun 05, 24470 kms, 12.24 kpl, KL 04 S6336, 34km/day)
                          (NO NEED FOR REGISTERING FOR THE ABOVE - MESSAGES TO BE READ ON THE WEB)