[indica-users] Indica hand break

  • DR A.K.GHOSH
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
      Dr. Subrata Kar
      Proff. IIT Delhi.

      Dear Proff. Kar,
      Hope this mail finds you in good health and sprit. I have purchased an Indica, petrol variant, on last 30th. December. Since then I have noticed a problem as follows:

      I am driving the car quite often and I feel that the base handle for the hand break gets warmed after driving for 15 - 20 k.m., at a speed of 05 - 40 k.m. per hour, though there is apparently no problem with either of the breaking system. Since I took delivery from
      MS/- Subir Udyog, here, I brought this in to their notice. They checked this around 15 days back, admitted the problem genuine and informed me that the reason for this is not known to them for the present. Since I have not heard anything from them for a couple of weeks, I contacted Mr. Vikram Mehra, Product Manager(Cars), Telco, 27th floor, World Trade Center, Colaba, Mumbai.

      Since Mr. Mehra forwarded my mail here, I had a phone call from Mr. P. Das, Telco, Calcutta, yesterday. He is suspecting that the hand break handle is getting warmed because the catalytic converter is located right beneath the hand break handle. He has also requested me to bring the car to MS/- Subir Udyog again where they might put some shield so that the handle does not feel warmed. As suggested by Mr. Mehra, I seek your valuable comments in this regard.

      May I ask you one foolish question? What is the function of a catalytic converter and how frequent this needs to be replaced?

      With kind regards,

      Yours sincerely,

      Dr. Anil Kumar Ghosh
      Assistant Director
      Indian Institute of Chemical Biology
      4, Raja S.C.Mullick Road
      Calcutta 700 032

      Phone: (+)-91-33-473 3491/ 0492/ 6793/ 5197/ 5368/ 5832 (ext.. 187);  (+)-4123271(Res.)
      Fax: (+)-91-33-473 5197/ 0350/ 0284
      E.mail:
      99anil@...
      iichbio@.../in (Attn. Dr. Anil K. Ghosh)
      anil51@...
    • Raj Bhatia
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
        Dear Dr Ghosh,

        I too happen to have an Indica petrol variant. I bought the car 10 months ago. It's a lovely vehicle - you'll enjoy it. But minor problems, such as mentioned, will continue - though, I would have expected Telco to have got their act together by now.

        Since we both own a petrol Indica, let's continue to exchange notes.

        Best wishes,

        Raj
[...]

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/indica-users
      • Dr.Subrat Kar
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2000
          Dear Dr.Ghosh,

          I have not noticed the same problem but will try to see if it happens in my car.

          I summarize below some available facts about catalytic converters.

          A catalytic converter is a device that uses a catalyst (like palladium) to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds.

          The three harmful compounds are:

          1. Hydrocarbons (in the form of unburned gasoline)
          2. Carbon monoxide (formed by the combustion of gasoline)
          3. Nitrogen oxides (created when the heat in the engine forces nitrogen in the air to combine with oxygen).
          Carbon monoxide is a poison for any air-breathing animal. Nitrogen oxides lead to smog and acid rain, and hydrocarbons produce smog.

          In a catalytic converter, the catalyst (in the form of platinum and palladium) is coated onto a ceramic honeycomb or ceramic beads that are housed in a muffler-like package attached to the exhaust pipe. The catalyst helps to convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts the nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen.

          Best regards,

          Subrat

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2000

            From: NAVEEN KAPUR
            For: Dr SUBROTO KAR

            06.02.00

            Dear Subroto,

            Would appreciate to receive your response to Anil's problem; maybe a
            copy if you have replied separately already.

            Best Regards.
          • Raminder Bir Singh
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
              Hi
              I note a funny sound from the rear of my car when I apply the brakes.
              Any advice
              Dr Raminder Singh
            • Dr.Subrat Kar
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 2000
                You should check your rear shock absorbers.

                Subrat