Re: Reverse gear difficulty

  • Hrishikesh Raghavan
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006

      > Today morning, the reverse gear just refused to engage!! I had to
      > leave the car at home and commute by public transport.

      Is it that bad? Have you tried the 5 second wait as recommended in the
      manual? Also, sometimes it requires coaxing to get into reverse,
      especially if the clutch pedal is not fully and properly depressed.

      Hrishi
      LSi, March 2003, 66100 km, 11.15 kpl, Chennai
    • Achin Juneja
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        It should not be hard at all !!
        Please make sure the clutch pedal is fully depressed, before you shift to
        reverse.
        Another trick sometimes, in a new car, is to first shift to 1st, move the
        car a fraction, stop, shift to neutral, & then shift to reverse.
        Also, with the engine off & the handbrake on, try shifting from neutral to
        reverse & back with the clutch pedal pressed, a number of times.
        If you still have a problem, get the linkage adjusted at the TASC.

        Drive safe,
        Achin Juneja
        DLE BS-2, Delhi, Mar 2005, 39010 kms, 20.5 kmpl.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hi Madhup,
          In addition to what Hrishikesh Raghavan has said, I do the following
          when faced with a reverse gear problem.
          a. with the endine running, Leave the clutch, again depress it and try.
          Ususally in second shot I am through.
          b. IF (caps intended) you have the space, engage first,inch forward.
          stop, and then engage reverse.
          c. I generally go for "Happy parking", I reverse into the parking lot,
          so I just drive out in first gear.

          Hope that helps.

          Regards,

          Rhishikesh
          (Indica DLS V2 Jan 2004, Surat 29000 km)

          --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Madhup Kumar" <madhupkumar@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Today morning, the reverse gear just refused to engage!! I had to
          > leave the car at home and commute by public transport.
          >
          > I have been following this group since I was deciding the car to go
          > for. The reverse gear problem got me out of my laziness.. forcing me
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Madhup Kumar
          > (26/M/Delhi, Software Engr)
          > Indica Xeta GLG Blue, June 2006, 1850kms, 11.5kmpl(80%AC, 100% City),
          > DL3CAF 8756

        • Madhup Kumar
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            Well it is just too bad, and today morning I took it to the nearest
            TASC(Shah Motors, Noida). They couldn't engage the reverse either, and
            guessed it's a gear box manufacturing defect! they have the car now..
            I should get it today evening (let's hope).

            Achin, I had looked into the manual about the clutch pedal adjustment
            screw (didn't try any fixing myself though). I guess that's not what
            you mean by 'linkage' adjustment (?)

            Parking space is not too much a problem at my apartment so I had tried
            out everything.. And I have been following the HAPPY PARKING mantra
            (and that's because I am lazier in the morning than in the evening).

            Thanks Achin,Rhishikesh,Hrishi.. hey this forum is just so comforting
            and supporting... we junior ppl need this great school. Also I believe
            we all have those ugly differences buried for ever, right?
            That Makes me happy :)
            ~ Madhup Kumar
            (26/M/Delhi, Software Engr)
            Indica Xeta GLG Blue, June 2006, 1850kms, 11.5kmpl(80%AC, 100%
            City),DL3CAF 8756

            "Remember - People first, then money, then things" - Suze Orman Show
            (CNBC-TV18)

            --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Achin Juneja" <achinjuneja@...>

            *******

            *****

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
              Got the car today afternoon. they opened the gear box and did some
              lathe work on the gear teeth (hope they are really good at it!! i
              actually expect new problems). I was charged for 1 litre gear oil and
              some nuts/washers totalling Rs 320.

              The drive seems all ok to me...but yes the feel-good thing about my
              new Xeta has had the first dent.

              ~Madhup