Re: [Off Topic][OT]: The Fida Factor

  • Achin Juneja
    Message 1 of 50 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi Hrishi,

      > Let me add some fuel to the fire:
      >
      > For a car supposedly made for India, the Fiesta, like the Ikon before
      > it, has the indicator and wiper stalks on the wrong side. Also, note
      > the careful positioning of the bonnet release lever in the Fiesta - on
      > the passenger side!

      I remember when the Ikon, & then the Fiesta later, Ford had made big
      announcements about the car being specially designed for Indian
      conditions. Also at the time of the Fiesta launch, there was a press
      handout claiming that Ford had learnt from the mistakes (30, if I
      remember correctly)made with the Ikon.

      They have never been able to explain this. I got some rude reactions
      when I put the same question to the dealer.

      Btw, the Chevy Optra & Aveo also have the wiper & lights the wrong way
      round.

      Drive safe,
      Achin Juneja

      > Hrishi
      > LSi, March 2003, 64006 km, 11.17 kpl, Chennai

    • Ashok Kumar
      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 29, 2006
        Folks,

        Hy-wire is the concept car from GM made of the drive-by-wire feature.For your info...

        http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hy-wire3.htm

        Warm regards,

        Ashok,

        Bangalore,Xeta GLS,300km

        Prince <psarinuk@...> wrote:
        Hi Dev,

        You are absolutely right. The wires carrying signals are very much
        prone to noise. In fact, the vehicle fails the EMC tests so many
        times during development that it becomes a pain.

        But these are some development constraints in complex vehicle
        networks. There is way around this issue. The signal(s) prone to
        noise are made redundant. In this case for example, the signals from
        throttle position sensor are fed into both PCM/ ECM as well as a
        gateway module (PJB/ GEM on Fiesta and Transit) which sits on both
        high speed and mid speed bus. This module monitors the signal and
        helps to idenity noise. Normal checks like Checksum etc are done
        anyway at all receiver nodes to check the quality of signals.

        The only downside about Optical position sensors/ coders is that they
        are more expensive to implement, I am not sure if any car has got
        them. Do you want me to find out more info from Europe/ NA car
        manufacturers??

        Regards,
        Kunal.

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Dev Abhishek <devabhishek@...>
        wrote:

        > Achin, Prince,
        >
        > A couple of specific questions:The cable free linkage, aka, pot,
        that seems to be favoured by car manufacturers, I'm assuming this is
        a resistive carbon/cermet device. Now, I'd assume this voltage is
        sensed at some remote point in the ECU. Doesn't the cable length
        (even assuming differential signalling (??? how?)) must make this
        pretty noise prone.

        > Is it practical to use optical position encoders? Does anyone
        actually use them?

        > Sorry, if the questions are dumb. Please help a telecom equipment
        designer here. :-)

        > Dev
        >

        > Achin Juneja <achinjuneja@...> wrote:
        > Hi Dr. Rajesh,
        >
        > DBW has been incorporated in concept cars by many auto
        > manufacturers. But the concept remains a concept !! (pardon the
        > pun !)
        > Questions are now being asked as to (a) whether it is really
        > required, (b)who does it benefit more ---the mfr. or the user, (c)
        > whether it really addresses the requirements of countries like
        India.