Re: Tyre maintenance and flats, some tips

  • vtmumbai
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi All,

      My friend (Apr 03 LSi) got 2 of her tyres really worn out (30K km)...
      Hers are Goodyear... and some of recent posts talked that MRF or JK
      are good and Goodyear or bridgestone are not good.
      Is it ok to have 2 tyres of one company and 2 of other company? Which
      one should she go for?

      Regards,
      -Vandana.

      --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, Ravi Punjabi <ravi_punjabi@y...>
      wrote:

      > Seen many mails today about flats and tyres.
      >
      > Just to share some precaution and good habits to extend tyre life,
      though, i believe most of u would have heard/ read or know about
      these.

      > 1. Align tyres regularly @ 5-10 K kms, depending on how bad the
      roads are in where you live or even seasonal ;) like rained out roads
      @ Mumbai. Balancing is also recommended, but since the guys charge
      for weights every instance, I do not get it done more than once per
      year.

      > 4. MRF tubes are made out of butyl rubber ( the blue lining on the
      tube indicates that it is butyl, as i know it) and are quite
      resistance to heat etc. Besides if the joint of the tube gives away (
      except the valve joint) MRF replaces the tube under warranty.

      > and once u get more than 4-5 punctures on the same tube, do get the
      tube replaced, since that increases the reliability and reduces risk
      of one of the existing punctures opening up.

    • Hrishikesh Raghavan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi Vandana,

        Which 2 tyres are worn out? Are they both front? or both back? Total
        wear out at 30K is really surprising.

        Goodyear and Bridgestone are good tyres although they are softer and
        would tend to wear out quicker compared to MRF or JK.

        I have had a very good experience with my OEM JK Tornadoes. No
        personal experience with MRF on cars. My old Omni had CEAT tyres
        (non radial) which looked brand new (except for some signs of wear
        on the sidewalls) after 3 1/2 years and 41200 km.

        In my view, Indian brands offer value for money. For normal driving
        in the city and the highway, the so called performance deficit in
        these brands really doesn't matter. Unless you're tracking lap times
        on a race track or really pushing your car to its limits. I do push
        my car to its limits ever so often and have found that the JKs are
        quite up to the mark.

        Your friend could, if inclined, try out the new Apollo Accelere.
        Supposed to be fantastic at a reasonable price.

        Hrishi
        LSi, March 2003, 44829 km, Chennai

        --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "vtmumbai" <vtmumbai@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > My friend (Apr 03 LSi) got 2 of her tyres really worn out (30K
        km)...
        > Hers are Goodyear... and some of recent posts talked that MRF or
        JK
        > are good and Goodyear or bridgestone are not good.
        > Is it ok to have 2 tyres of one company and 2 of other company?
        Which
        > one should she go for?
        >
        > Regards,
        > -Vandana.
      • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2005
          Hi Vandana,

          > My friend (Apr 03 LSi) got 2 of her tyres really worn out (30K
          > km)... Hers are Goodyear...

          I do agree that 30K is a little too early for the tyres to get worn
          out. But keep in mind that the front tyres are more prone to wear as
          they handle both power and direction in a front wheel drive car like
          Indica. Then the nature of roads is also a contributing factor.

          I have Goodyear GPS2 tubeless radials in my Viva CRDi and at 19000 kms
          in 9 months, it hardly looks used. But it is lucky as it has gone more
          on our NH than the usual roads that I subject my car too. Surprisigly
          the NH is in good condition inspite of the rains here.

          > and some of recent posts talked that MRF > or JK are good and
          > Goodyear or bridgestone are not good.

          If I take the liberty to interpret the posts, what was mentioned was
          that Goodyear and Bridgestone use softer compounds in tyre
          construction. This gives more grip, but wears faster. I am not sure
          about MRF, but JK tyres (my experience with them is way back in 1993 -
          1994) of my Maruti 1000 hardly looked used even at 25K, but the tyres
          used to aquaplane even at the slightest hint of water on the roads.

          The OEM MRFs in my Indica DLE, without rotation, lasted 43K for the
          front ones. One tyre was lost at about 63K due to damage. When the car
          was sold at 65K one rear tyre was OEM and it was good easily for
          another 20K.

          > Is it ok to have 2 tyres of one company and 2 of other company?

          Becasue of the difference in tread patterns, I would suggest that she
          sticks ths same company tyres on ths same axle.

          > Which one should she go for?

          Since I have not used JK recently, I would suggest MRF.

          Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
          (Indica V2 DLE, Feb 01 - Dec 04, 1.6L, 65016 kms, 15kpl)
        • vtmumbai
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2005
            Hi Hrishi and Rajesh,

            Thanks for your inputs. 'Really worn out' is her words. Apparently
            one tyre actually has cut and repairing tube will not be sufficient.
            The other one it seems has some strange problem that the tube pinches
            between tyre and rim (??) I haven't seen her tyres myself. Her car is
            driven mostly by her driver and sometimes by her husband (who
            according to her driver doesn't bother about taking care of potholes)
            He is just learning!! ;-) Her driver though little rash is still
            quite ok than some others I have seen.
            Even I am surprised that they are beyond repair as our cars are
            almost of same age, covered almost same distance and travel on the
            same route (Western Express Highway in Mumbai - the so called road
            which does not even qualify as gully in my native place!!)
            I guess the reason is combined effect of rash driving, little
            negligance in following regular service schedule and negligance to
            attend to some of the little problems till they became big.

            As Rajesh observed both are from front. As per your suggestion, I
            guess it should be fine to have it different 'make'. But may be they
            should take care to keep both tyres on same axle during tyre
            rotations right?!

            Regards,
            -Vandana.

            --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Dr T R Rajesh Kumar"

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005

              Tyres of different make and wear can be used, if and only if, they are mounted on the same axle. Never mix different tyres on the same axle.

              In my experience with two tyre companies Goodyear and MRF, I did find that the MRFs lasted much longer. But I do not have sufficient detail about other characteristics of these tyres. I cannot make this sentence definitively, but I do get a feeling that the Goodyears handled better than the MRFs. These were on different Indica cars, so maybe it had something to do with the upkeep of the individual cars too. Indian tyre companies do not publish sufficient data about their products. It's difficult to be sure one way or another.

              Dev
              DLE&DLX, Nov00&Mar00, 78K&77K, 17K&16Kpl Bangalore

              wrote:

              > Seen many mails today about flats and tyres.
              >
              > Just to share some precaution and good habits to extend tyre life,
              though, i believe most of u would have heard/ read or know about
              these.

              > 1. Align tyres regularly @ 5-10 K kms, depending on how bad the
              roads are in where you live or even seasonal ;) like rained out roads
              @ Mumbai. Balancing is also recommended, but since the guys charge
              for weights every instance, I do not get it done more than once per
              year.

              > 4. MRF tubes are made out of butyl rubber ( the blue lining on the
              tube indicates that it is butyl, as i know it) and are quite
              resistance to heat etc. Besides if the joint of the tube gives away (
              except the valve joint) MRF replaces the tube under warranty.

              > and once u get more than 4-5 punctures on the same tube, do get the
              tube replaced, since that increases the reliability and reduces risk
              of one of the existing punctures opening up.

              For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html

              Automotive technician Automotive technician training Automotive shop equipment Automotive equipment Automotive technician employment Automotive technician course

            • Dr T R Rajesh Kumar
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005

                > As Rajesh observed both are from front. As per your suggestion, I
                > guess it should be fine to have it different 'make'. But may be they
                > should take care to keep both tyres on same axle during tyre
                > rotations right?!

                Asolutely right! See different brands have different treads and their
                performance could be slightly different. So have the same brand in the
                same axle as far as possible.

                It is due to the state of our roads that the parts / tyre
                manufacturers / mechanics etc survive as they get to replace / repair
                the various parts which otherwise would last much longer.

                Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
                (Indica V2 DLE, Feb 01 - Dec 04, 1.6L, 65016 kms, 15kpl)
              • Deepak Patil
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2005

                  I was just wondering why no one files a PIL against the concerned
                  authorities for the monetary losses and physical damages
                  (particularly two wheeler riding) we are getting due to the bad
                  roads. It is not the thing that they can not build good roads or they
                  don't have money.

                  Everyone knows where the major part of this money goes. I've never
                  heard about any political party coming on the roads for this cause
                  (how can they?? when there are no 'roads'!!!).

                  Regards,
                  Deepak Patil
                  [Indica-DLS Aug'04, 12238km, 14.7kmpl (last 3), AC 50%, XtraMile and
                  Potholes]