Re: When should we check tyre pressure?

  • Hrishikesh Raghavan
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Mandar,

      Ashok has probably expressed it best :-)

      What I have been doing for the last 15 years for all vehicles in the
      family is:
      Check tyre pressures every Sunday early morning at the nearest bunk.
      The nearest bunk has varied between 2 km and 5 km (due to residence
      shifts) but I take care to drive / ride slowly (not exceeding 40
      kmph) till the bunk. I'm probably being overcautious here but then a
      slow drive / ride early Sunday morning is always a pleasure!

      Of course, before any long drives (which usually start early
      morning), I do the same checks.

      In cases where I have left the vehicles lying idle for a month or
      more, I check as soon as I get back and then check once in 2 days
      (for the first week of use after idle) to make sure the tubes are
      still in good condition and are holding the air.

      Tyre pressures recommended by manufacturers are cold, which means
      the pressures should be checked and set when the tyres are cold.

      Hope this helps.

      Drive safe,
      Hrishi
      LSi, March 2003, 34610 km, 11 kmpl, Chennai TN 07 AA 1669

      --- In indica-users@yahoogroups.com, "Chakradeo, Mandar"
      <mandarchakradeo@h...> wrote:
      > Well I have one question for you all. I had heard opposite opinion
      about
      > when we should check/fill air in the tyres. One group says,
      immediately when
      > you take your vehicle out on road. Few say drive 2 or 3 kms, let
      the tyres
      > get on road and then do it. What's recommended? I am considering
      daily
      > driving and not long drive or so..
      > - Mandar
      > Indica-DLS MH12 CD2786 Mar'04, 4500km, 13kmpl (city) 18kmpl
      > (outstation),Ocassional AC
    • Gopalkrishnan
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
        Tyre pressures must indeed be checked when the tyres are cold, and - perhaps one better than Hrishi - I too check my tyres every Sunday morning, but at home with my own tyre pressure gauge. Have been doing this for close to 45 years !

        Cheers,
        Gopi
        (DL"S", Sept 1999, 31608 km, 14.40 kpl, Chennai, TN-07-K-8148)

        <mandarchakradeo@h...> wrote:
        > Well I have one question for you all. I had heard opposite opinion
        about
        > when we should check/fill air in the tyres. One group says,
        immediately when
        > you take your vehicle out on road. Few say drive 2 or 3 kms, let
        the tyres
        > get on road and then do it. What's recommended? I am considering
        daily
        > driving and not long drive or so..
        > - Mandar
        > Indica-DLS MH12 CD2786 Mar'04, 4500km, 13kmpl (city) 18kmpl
        > (outstation),Ocassional AC

        For submitting feedback about your Indica, use: http://www.egroups.com/files/indica-users/IndicaUsersFeedback.html
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Chakradeo, Mandar
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
          Ashok, Hrishi,

          Thanks a lot. That would really help.....

          Regards,