Re: [indianmilitia] words

  • Dudley Toelke
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
      Wasn't sure about elk but turned out I was right.  I checked these translations against Byington's Dictionary:

      Elk-issi chito.  Litterally big deer
      Death-illi. But can also mean to perish or to loose a bet, among several other meanings.
      Killer-ubi. Actually spelled with an "a" underscored with a period "." and pronounced as a long u (can't , as in "tub" or "rub". You see this associated with a warriors name denoting he has killed in war.  It can also be used as murderer.

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
        Don't know how I sent the other answer so ignore it. OK, try again.

        Wasn't sure about elk but turned out I was right.  I checked these translations against Byington's Dictionary:

        Elk-issi chito.  Literally big deer

        Death-illi. But can also mean to perish or to loose a bet, among several other meanings.

        Killer-ubi. Actually spelled with an "a" underscored with a period "." and pronounced as a long u (can't do it on my computer), as in "tub" or "rub". You see this associated with a warriors name denoting he has killed in war.  It can also be used as murderer.

        Stick-iti tapa.  A small wooden pole but not a war club. War club-iti tapena.

        Fast (as in speed): chali. The "l" has a slash through it that denotes it is pronounced as an aspirated "l" and not a hard "l". Palhki also means fleet or quick.

        Hope that helps.  Glad you asked about fast, I actually added an "n" to the Choctaw word which didn't properly translate.

        dud

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
          Thanks alot dud its been agravatin me. Im ordering two new language books. Mine have disapeared...

          what about bow?

          Reason. I have been working on 3 bambo backed osage bows for my father and brother in law for christmas. They are both big time traditional bow hunters and i am trying to fimd good names for the bows. They have both taken elk and bear among other big game and not from some fenced in caned hunt.
          Thanks
          KD Bueche

          anyone with good ideas pop in :)

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
            I thought that Tanampo was the word for bow until guns came along. Then they had to add a qualifier words at the end of the word to differentiate between the two.

            BN

            -------------- Original message from "Ken D. Bueche" <kdbueche@...>: --------------

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
              Elk  isi chito

              death aiilli, illi, illi atukla, nan illi

              killer abi, nan abi   the a is pronunced as u in tub
              slay uski chula

              to slay akkakoli, abi, illichi

              slayer abi, nan abi

              hunter hatak illi achopa, hoyo, ilhpapa, isi abi, nan hoyo, owatta, silhhi

              stick  iti tapa, iti taptua

              quick cheki, palhki, shinimpa, tushpa

              fast (swift) chahli, palhki

              fast (tight) afacha, alhkama

              fast walker chahli

              Thease words all vary slightly depending on how they are used. you can buy a choctaw dictionary from  http://www.choctawnation.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home   go to the store or ed. dept.
              the bee

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
                Me to bob but wanted to make sure.
                There was tanomp and tanompo

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                  Bow:  Tenampo iti.  It used to be just plain tenampo but when they got hold of guns, the gun became a tenampo. So to differentiate at some point, the wooden bow became tenampo iti; litteral translation-bow wood or wooden bow.

                  dud

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                    Didn't read your reply before I sent mine.

                    dud

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 8, 2009
                      On the translation of elk, I think the issi chito came later and superseded the actual word the Choctaw had for elk.  I don't know what the word was.  However, the Choctaw still carried the collective stories of their movement from the west to the east and would have encountered elk on their trek. However, as the elk became hunted out in the east, the word was lost and just became issi chito.  Since they have individual words for every animal, wild and domestic ( some domestic animal names are combined names or modified names), they must have had one for elk; the translation I have is from Byington.  I know that it is an assumption but it seems that every wild animal had an individual name.

                      Byington arrived among the Choctaw, as a missionary, in the last part of 1819. He comprised a book on grammar of the Choctaw language and later a dictionary; not published until 1915.  That is why I believe the ancient Choctaw word for elk had passed.  By the time he arrived in Mississippi, the eastern elk was pretty well gone.  However, I really like the dictionary because it still has the translations for powder horn, charger, ramrod and many other words not in general use today and probably nonexistent in the current language. It's better adapted for reenactors.

                      dud