Please Join Us In Celebrating the 75th Anniversary

  • Darren Vermillion
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2008
      Please Join Us In Celebrating the 75th Anniversary

      Of The Louisiana Office of State Parks,

      Kick-Off Event at Longfellow - Evangeline SHS, Saturday January 17th

      We need the assistance of the Historic Sites and Naturalists.

      We would like to showcase the various interpretive programs through-
      out the state

      Demonstrations/Presentations should focus on your site- we have the
      room for what ever you plan.

      -----------

      There will be living history programs, demonstrations and activities,
      for the general public, 9:00 A.M. till 3:00 P.M.

      The site will create a living history encampment.
      Temporary lodges will be set up, staff will dress in historic
      costumes, cook on open fires and display historic tools, gear and
      weapons.
      Demonstrations of blacksmithing, and the firing of black powder
      weapons will be given.
      Talks on Native American life and crafts will be given.
      A Hands-On Area where kids can try out chores, toys and games from
      the period will be provided.
      Tours will be given through the Olivier Plantation House (circa
      1815), the Acadian Farmstead and the Interpretive Center.

      Please respond ASAP so that we can begin planning

      Call if you have questions or suggestions

      I will be handling PR/media and contacting the dignitaries. I'd like
      to do the ceremony at 10 a.m., with the standard speeches, chest
      thumping, back patting, etc. etc. I will see about renting a stage
      and tent for this, and would like to coordinate chairs and the podium
      through the district office.

      Thanks,

      Sharon

      Reinaldo Barnés
      Historic Site Manager
      Longfellow - Evangeline S.H.S.
      337-394-5728
      longfellow_mgr@...

      It is noble to teach oneself,

      but still nobler to teach others--and less trouble.

      - Mark Twain