Re: [in-phpug] Parse error: Expecting `T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING'

  • Ajith C
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hi

      > require_once($another_php_script_filename);

      think u missed the ;

      Ajith
    • Shantanu Kumar
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
        No, I didn't. I just mentioned it on the list without a semicolon there. BTW, it started behaving funny only after I uploaded it onto an IBM-AIX running Apache/PHP. It's not giving any strange messages when I ran it successfully on my Red Hat Linux 9.

        Regards,
        Shantanu

        Ajith C <ajc377@...> wrote:
        Hi

        > require_once($another_php_script_filename);

        think u missed the ;

        Ajith

      • Dr Tarique Sani
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
          On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Shantanu Kumar wrote:

          > > require_once($another_php_script_filename);

          Do an echo $another_php_script_filename

          If that is returning the correct file name then see if PHP has got
          permissions to open that file from that location

          HTH

        • Paul Alapatt
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
            This,

            Might have nothing to do with it per se.

            But could you simply enclose the same in a

            Require("$variable_name");

            Fashion?

            Take care,
            Paul Alapatt
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Mo: +91-(0)-9820187987
            Fax: +91-022-26603643
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            http://www.bernardlabs.com
            Awaken to the future!

            privileged information for the sole use of the person or entity to whom
            this message was originally addressed. Any review, e-transmission
            kindly delete this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
            us immediately at admin@... and delete this mail.

            Ajith C <ajc377@...> wrote:
            Hi

            > require_once($another_php_script_filename);

            think u missed the ;

            Ajith

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Shantanu Kumar
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
              --- Paul Alapatt <a.paul@...> wrote:
              > This,
              >
              > Might have nothing to do with it per se.
              >
              > But could you simply enclose the same in a
              >
              > Require("$variable_name");
              >
              > Fashion?

              Heavens! It worked when I substituted require_once()
              with require(). (Though I am clueless as to what wrong
              must I have done to face this.) But now, all sorts of
              unexpected errors are cropping up. It no more
              recognizes $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['REQUEST_URI'] as a
              defined index (ERROR: Undefined index). Nor does it
              support ($HTTP_GET_VARS + $HTTP_POST_VARS) expression
              anymore (ERROR: Unsupported operand type).

              Is it because the version I am now testing on is a
              very old (read 'primitive') PHP4 ?

              Regards,
              Shantanu

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • d.k.jariwala (JD)
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
                Hi Shantanu,

                Are you using PHP v. 4.0.2 by any chance? If yes, this is a known bug.
                Check http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=6814

                If you are using later version of PHP, check lines before the line where you are getting error. One of them might be missing semi colon.

                Btw, this is my first mail on Indian PHP blug! So a BIG hi to everybody!
                My name is JD and I have been programming in PHP for almost 3 years now. I was mostly active on Devshed Forums earlier, with id 'JDK'. Before new company took over Devshed, I was moderator at Devshed forums.

                I just recently came to know about this group and I am really excited to be part of it. Will be great to interact with fellow indian PHP lovers! :)

                I am currently in Mangalore and would like to know if there are any developers from Mangalore hanging on this group!

                Regards,
                JD

              • d.k.jariwala (JD)
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
                  Hi Shantanu,
                  I guess you are affected by the bug which I mentioned in my earlier mail! Please upgrade your PHP!
                  As such, PHP 4.1.x has lot of improvements over PHP 4.0.x!
                  All the best,
                  Regards,
                  JD

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
                    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Shantanu Kumar wrote:

                    > Heavens! It worked when I substituted require_once()
                    > with require(). (Though I am clueless as to what wrong
                    > must I have done to face this.) But now, all sorts of

                    It will help you if you read which version supports what functions

                    Also look at the output of phpinfo() - that also provides a whole lot of
                    clues

                    HTH

                  • Paul Alapatt
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 12, 2003
                      Yes Shantanu,

                      Please Upgrade to the latest Stable version of PHP.net,

                      I believe that should put it to rest.

                      Take care,
                      Paul Alapatt
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      Mo: +91-(0)-9820187987
                      Fax: +91-022-26603643
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 13, 2003
                        Hi JDK, Paul and Dr Sani,

                        Thanks a lot for your replies and helping me to learn
                        to check the PHP-version before feeling surprised. I
                        discovered that the server I am now trying to run my
                        PHP scripts on runs PHP 4.0.0 (you may like to check
                        for yourself: http://zetty.port5.com/phpinfo.php).

                        I don't have any control over their server and as to
                        what version of PHP they'd want to stick to. So,
                        probably I'll look for some other place where they
                        have a newer version or well, wait until they update
                        it for good.

                        Nevertheless, yet another important lesson in PHP. :-)

                        Regards,
                        Shantanu

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com