Re: [in-phpug] PHP 5 - Beta 1 is out

  • Dr Tarique Sani
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Biju Chacko wrote:

      > > Did anyone notice that MySQL client is no longer bundled with PHP...
      >
      > Yep. Interesting. Any idea what the actual licensing problems are?

      Yeah! from MySQL 4.x onwards the MySQL client is licensed under GPL so if
      PHP bundles that then GPL infects the entire PHP tree.

      But the point to note is that PHP will continue to have MySQL support.

      Here is a mail from Ramus from the general mailing list

      HTH

      List: php-general
      Subject: RE: [PHP] php5 and mysql licences
      From: Rasmus Lerdorf
      Date: 2003-06-30 17:29:00
      [Download message RAW]

      On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Dan Joseph wrote:
      > Is the mysql client library going to be put back in for future betas? Or
      > are we mis-reading the change log and its still there?

      There will always be MySQL support in PHP of one kind or another. The
      only change in PHP5 is that we are no longer bundling the client library
      itself. Some reasons in no particular order:

      1. Most systems these days already have the client library installed.
      2. Given 1, having multiple versions of the library can get messy.
      For example, if you link mod_auth_mysql against 1 version and PHP
      against another and then enable both in Apache, you get a nice fat
      crash. Also, the bundled library didn't always play well with the
      installed server version the most obvious symptom of this being
      disagreement over where to find the mysql.socket unix domain socket
      file.
      3. Maintenance was somewhat lax and it was falling further and further
      behind the released version.
      4. Future versions of the library are under the GPL and thus we don't
      have an upgrade path since we cannot bundle a GPL'ed library in a
      BSD/Apache-style licensed project. A clean break in PHP5 seemed like
      the best option.

      This won't actually affect that many people. UNIX users, at least the
      ones who know what they are doing, tend to always build PHP against their
      system's libmyqlclient library simply by doing --with-mysql=/usr when
      building PHP.

      For the beta1 release, it went out without a mysql.dll extension because
      we haven't quite worked out how to handle it, not because the final PHP5
      release will not have MySQL support. Of course it will and Windows users
      will not be affected.

      -Rasmus