Fast Mailing

  • Madhavi B Gajria
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
      Hello,

      I am developing a utility to send the newsletters from my website. I
      have over 30000 subscribers, and am facing a problem in implementing the
      same in PHP. I tried breaking it down into chunks of 200 each, and the
      program still times out. Upon further investigation into the code, the
      mail() seemed to create the bottleneck.

      Can someone send me a faster way of mailing (writing to SMTP Directly)?
      I have tried doing that too, but I guess I do not know the right way to
      do it.

      Any help towards this would be appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.

      Regards,

      Madhavi B Gajria
      Bangalore

    • Paul Alapatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
        Hi,

        Mail() function in PHP is a bad idea, using sockets and dispacthing
        emails directly to a SMTP server or hooking up to the qmail/sendmail
        server is a much faster technique.

        These classes will come in handy.

        http://phpmailer.sourceforge.net/

        Use it with SMTP enabled.

        Another advantage of using SMTP is that you can capture the failed
        emails but not 100% assurance.

        Take care,
        Paul Alapatt

        I am developing a utility to send the newsletters from my website. I
        have over 30000 subscribers, and am facing a problem in implementing the
        same in PHP. I tried breaking it down into chunks of 200 each, and the
        program still times out. Upon further investigation into the code, the
        mail() seemed to create the bottleneck.

        Can someone send me a faster way of mailing (writing to SMTP Directly)?
        I have tried doing that too, but I guess I do not know the right way to
        do it.

        Any help towards this would be appreciated.

        Thanks in advance.

        Regards,

        Madhavi B Gajria
        Bangalore

        Read Posting Guidelines at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug/files/guidelines.html

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Dr Tarique Sani
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2002
          On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Paul Alapatt wrote:
          > Mail() function in PHP is a bad idea, using sockets and dispacthing
          > emails directly to a SMTP server or hooking up to the qmail/sendmail
          > server is a much faster technique.

          Yes!

          You can also look up http://www.phpclasses.org and search for SMTP

          Hope this helps