subdomains

  • Paul Alapatt
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      I have a couple of scripts bothe BASH and PERL which I need to port to
      php.

      However one of the scripts is giving me the problem, that which would do
      the following:

      [1] Add an entry for sub-domain in the httpd.conf under apache

      [2] Add the entry into the nameserver

      [3] Restart both httpd and nameserver.

      Well everything works fine, except for the restarting part.

      Exec('/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart')

      Or similar ones don't seem to be working.

      Can anyone suggest a suitable method to do the same.

      Thanking you in advance

      Paul Alapatt
    • Srinivasan Ramakrishnan
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
        Take a look at Apache's suexec features.

        -Srini

        Paul Alapatt wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I have a couple of scripts bothe BASH and PERL which I need to port to
        > php.
        >
        > However one of the scripts is giving me the problem, that which would do
        > the following:
        >
        > [1] Add an entry for sub-domain in the httpd.conf under apache
        >
        > [2] Add the entry into the nameserver
        >
        > [3] Restart both httpd and nameserver.
        >

        > Well everything works fine, except for the restarting part.
        >
        > Exec('/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart')
        >
        > Or similar ones don't seem to be working.
        >
        > Can anyone suggest a suitable method to do the same.
        >
        > Thanking you in advance
        >
        > Paul Alapatt
        >

        > Read Posting Guidelines at
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug/files/guidelines.html

      • amit soni
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
          hmm... how about....

          Exec('service httpd restart')

          or

          Exec('kill -9 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`; httpd')

          I hope you are using php cgi mode to acheive the above...I mean otherwise a
          normal user isnt allowed to restart servers etc. in normal mod-php if
          everything was rpm installed on red hat, the userid for php is nobody /
          apache.

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
            That's where the problem is I guess, have it as a DSO

            Is there anyway perfect way of executing a bash script from within PHP
            under these circumstances?

            Thanks a lot for the prompt responses.

            ~Paul

            I have a couple of scripts bothe BASH and PERL which I need to port to
            php.

            However one of the scripts is giving me the problem, that which would do
            the following:

            [1] Add an entry for sub-domain in the httpd.conf under apache

            [2] Add the entry into the nameserver

            [3] Restart both httpd and nameserver.

            Well everything works fine, except for the restarting part.

            Exec('/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart')

            Or similar ones don't seem to be working.

            Can anyone suggest a suitable method to do the same.

            Thanking you in advance

            Paul Alapatt

            Read Posting Guidelines at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug/files/guidelines.html

            Read Posting Guidelines at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug/files/guidelines.html

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Kingsly John
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
              +++ Paul Alapatt [Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:44:16AM +0530]:
              > That's where the problem is I guess, have it as a DSO
              >
              > Is there anyway perfect way of executing a bash script from within PHP
              > under these circumstances?

              man sudo

              but it's a security risk one hole in *any* script that allows remote
              execution can cause damage to your system config.(under normal circumstances
              remote execution capabilities would only allow the person to cause damage to
              files that are writable by user nobody/apache.. and that would be hardly a
              handful of files... which you should be backing up regularly! ;-)

              Kingsly

              --
            • amit soni
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
                webmin is too good probably. but I'd never dare to run it on my online server.reason: its web based.

                Similarly, running a "PHP" script that can trigger su commands is like giving the gun to a terrorist and then requesting him not to shoot you.he might be deaf.

                I cant suggest you a safe way to use su commands through PHP. :o(

                Probably a .htaccess digest directory protection + SSL web based password(although I feel this is only a gizmo) can be considered.

                But lets see before that...are you trying to create a web based hosting control panel of some kind ? then probably some tricks used by http://www.kandalaya.org (vishwakarma) should interest you.

                as soon as I think of a way to safely shoot su commands using php, I'll write u a mail. As of now every idea I thought of in last 30 minutes, was a disaster.

                A tougher to implement yet comparatively secure idea is to have a root user running daemon, that accepts your pwd combo + command on a particular port, you can then have a cgi php file that communicates to this daemon using a socket. you dig ? But then you'll have to write a daemon!! and from what I gathered, you are trying to go the easy way, the php way..eh ?

                give me some time. I'll think of something else.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2002
                  Well,

                  So php is basically a bad idea for creating subdomains on the fly?

                  Well for now, I have inserted a wildcard into the DNS, really mean thing
                  to do could make the server crawl with more than a 100 subdomains, but
                  no option left I guess

                  So I need to only restart Apache...........just that..........then its
                  Nirvana.

                  Thanks a lot everyone,
                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                    I'd like to clear up a few things here:

                    a) PHP running as a module restarting its own httpd is a *BAD* idea.

                    b) PHP running as a CGI restarting a httpd that's probably got mod_php
                    of its own is a reasonable idea "if" you can secure it.

                    IMO, having a script restart a critical service is a bad idea unless
                    someone will be on hand to fix things in case something goes wrong.

                    If you are looking at doing this on a co-located server half way across
                    the world, with the sysadmin in a differnt time zone that's asking for
                    trouble irrespective of the tool / language used.

                    Usually systems like this are made to run off httpds of their own, like
                    the Cobalt servers for example. However the comparison stops at that,
                    IMO, the Cobalt webmin is very poor on security.

                    HTH,

                    -Srini

                    Paul Alapatt wrote:
                    > Well,
                    >
                    > So php is basically a bad idea for creating subdomains on the fly?
                    >
                    > Well for now, I have inserted a wildcard into the DNS, really mean thing
                    > to do could make the server crawl with more than a 100 subdomains, but
                    > no option left I guess
                    >
                    > So I need to only restart Apache...........just that..........then its
                    > Nirvana.
                    >
                    > Thanks a lot everyone,
                    > Paul

                  • Paul Alapatt
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                      Well then I guess I need to put a CRON that will restar the Apache,
                      monitor it and if it dies restart it.

                      Thanks everyone for the suggestions and useful hints,

                      Take care,
                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                        Paul Alapatt wrote:
                        > Well then I guess I need to put a CRON that will restar the Apache,
                        > monitor it and if it dies restart it.

                        Yup, monitor it, and if it doesn't come back up, email / page the sysadmin.

                        > Thanks everyone for the suggestions and useful hints,
                        >
                        > Take care,
                        > Paul

                        <snip>

                        -Srini
                      • Paul Alapatt
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                          :)
                          Thanks
                          Paul

                          > Well then I guess I need to put a CRON that will restar the Apache,
                          > monitor it and if it dies restart it.

                          Yup, monitor it, and if it doesn't come back up, email / page the
                          sysadmin.

                          > Thanks everyone for the suggestions and useful hints,
                          >
                          > Take care,
                          > Paul

                          <snip>

                          -Srini

                          Read Posting Guidelines at
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug/files/guidelines.html

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • Dr Tarique Sani
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 7, 2002
                            On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Paul Alapatt wrote:

                            Last word - Make sure you dont do this in combination with any other
                            control panel because most of them will overwrite your changes and have
                            wierd conf file setups for each domain.

                            We did what you want for SeeItMakeIt.com and we write the conf
                            files and restart Apache and BIND using a PHP script run via cron -
                            so basically what the web based part does is to store the necesary info
                            (domain name etc) in a table till the cron job is executed.

                            HTH
                            Tarique

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 8, 2002
                              Thanks will do so.