Base64 Encoding

  • Murali
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
      Dear All,

      I am using the PHP version of 5.2.11. I have problem in Base64 Encoding. For Example

      $string = "kjs$)P1rj9";
      echo base64_encode($string);

       this will return  a2pzJClQMXJqOQ== . We have developed the .net application for base64 encoding this will return the same result.

      But If I assign $string = "kas$)P1$rj9";
      echo base64_encode($string);

      this will return a2FzJClQMQ== . But in .net will return a2FzJClQMSRyajk= . based on our spec .net is correct.

      Can Please help on this how to solve this problem in PHP.

      Regards
      Murali

    • Krishna Shasankar
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 29, 2009
        Hi Murali,

        This is because of a crazy php feature, where it is tryng to parse the
        variable called *$rj9*

        The base64 encoded strings in your email decode as follows

        a2pzJClQMXJqOQ== ---> kjs$)P1$rj9
        a2FzJClQMQ== ---> kas$)P1
        a2FzJClQMSRyajk= ---> kas$)P1$rj9

        <?php
        $string_WithDoubleQuotes = "kas$)P1$rj9";
        echo base64_encode($string_WithDoubleQuotes);
        //a2FzJClQMQ==

        *$string_withSingleQuotes = 'kas$)P1$rj9';*
        *echo base64_encode($string_withSingleQuotes);*
        *//a2FzJClQMSRyajk=*
        ?>

        If you use double quotes to store, PHP with to parse any variables inside
        it, so PHPis thinking that $rj9 is available and needs to
        be substituted with its right value(null)
        If you use single quotes your issue can be resolved.

        Regards,
        Krishna Shasankar

        http://www.krishnashasankar.com | http://www.clickoffline.com