Help: Send FAX using PHP

  • imran rahi
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2008
      Hi All,

      I am designing a website where I need to fax a document on the click of a button. Is there anyone who can help me in this? I am looking for a PHP script that can satisfy my requirement.

      Thanks in advance.

    • Rohan Prabhu
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
        Hey there,

        What you require to do isn't as easy to do as getting a script from
        somewhere. Basically, what you need is a modulation unit to modulate a FAX
        message over a telephone line. A dialup modem will suffice for home
        purposes. If you are doing this for a client as such, you'll need to advise
        the client to buy necessary equipment. You might need to outsource this
        part.

        One you've done that, you need to communicate with the modem using TAPI
        which is the 'Telephony API'. It is a Windows API and hence this is not a
        solution on a Linux machine. In any case, a good solution would be if you
        keep a seperate Fax server and a seperate web server and set them on a
        network. On the Fax server, make an app using C/C++/VB/C# or anything else
        you can use the TAPI and make it listen on a port [let's say X]. Design it
        such that on recieving data, it sends a Fax message and queue's it and all.
        Since this is a crucial part of the application, you can even use third
        party application for this purpose.

        Once you've done this, you can use the fsock_ functions to communicate with
        the Fax server. You can do this on the same server too if needed. Another
        option you have on a unified server is to write a PHP extension which has
        the required functions made using TAPI and then use it in your PHP script.
        This method however, is much more difficult.

        If you find TAPI difficult to work with, you can also use OpenNTCF, which is
        documented and implemented better, but you won't be able to tweak it
        completely.

        Links:

        http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms734214.aspx [TAPI documentation]
        http://www.opennetcf.com/cf/products/telephony.ocf [OpenNTCF]
        http://in2.php.net/sockets [PHP Sockets manual]
        http://www.matrixtelesol.com/ [Browse Telecom Equipment]

        Hope it helps,
        Rohan Prabhu

        On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM, imran rahi <imranforphp@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am designing a website where I need to fax a document on the click of a
        > button. Is there anyone who can help me in this? I am looking for a PHP
        > script that can satisfy my requirement.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        {Ro}h(a)[n]_-_[P]{rab}(h)u

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
          hylafax

          On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:33 AM, Rohan Prabhu <rohan2kool@...> wrote:

          > Hey there,
          >
          > What you require to do isn't as easy to do as getting a script from
          > somewhere. Basically, what you need is a modulation unit to modulate a FAX
          > message over a telephone line. A dialup modem will suffice for home
          > purposes. If you are doing this for a client as such, you'll need to
          > advise
          > the client to buy necessary equipment. You might need to outsource this
          > part.
          >
          > One you've done that, you need to communicate with the modem using TAPI
          > which is the 'Telephony API'. It is a Windows API and hence this is not a
          > solution on a Linux machine. In any case, a good solution would be if you
          > keep a seperate Fax server and a seperate web server and set them on a
          > network. On the Fax server, make an app using C/C++/VB/C# or anything else
          > you can use the TAPI and make it listen on a port [let's say X]. Design it
          > such that on recieving data, it sends a Fax message and queue's it and
          > all.
          > Since this is a crucial part of the application, you can even use third
          > party application for this purpose.
          >
          > Once you've done this, you can use the fsock_ functions to communicate
          > with
          > the Fax server. You can do this on the same server too if needed. Another
          > option you have on a unified server is to write a PHP extension which has
          > the required functions made using TAPI and then use it in your PHP script.
          > This method however, is much more difficult.
          >
          > If you find TAPI difficult to work with, you can also use OpenNTCF, which
          > is
          > documented and implemented better, but you won't be able to tweak it
          > completely.
          >
          > Links:
          >
          > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms734214.aspx [TAPI
          > documentation]
          > http://www.opennetcf.com/cf/products/telephony.ocf [OpenNTCF]
          > http://in2.php.net/sockets [PHP Sockets manual]
          > http://www.matrixtelesol.com/ [Browse Telecom Equipment]
          >
          > Hope it helps,
          > Rohan Prabhu
          >

          > On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM, imran rahi <imranforphp@...<imranforphp%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > >
          > > I am designing a website where I need to fax a document on the click of
          > > button. Is there anyone who can help me in this? I am looking for a PHP
          > > script that can satisfy my requirement.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.

          > --
          > {Ro}h(a)[n]_-_[P]{rab}(h)u

          http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/5-books-this-month/ - Reading five
          business books this month.

        • kareem shaeef
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
            You need to register a account with j2.com and then send a mail to faxnumber@....

            That ll take care and the machine will recive the fax

            Regards
            Kareem
            Aji Issac <ajiissac@...> wrote: hylafax

          • firatab
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
              --- In in-phpug@yahoogroups.com, imran rahi <imranforphp@...> wrote:

              > Hi All,
              >
              > I am designing a website where I need to fax a document on the click
              of a button. Is there anyone who can help me in this? I am looking for
              a PHP script that can satisfy my requirement.

              > Thanks in advance.

              Hi imran
              you can do this with the help of eFax serves for this you need eFax
              account and some code.
              soon i will send you the code for that.
              you can find it on eFax sit also

              Thanks