Re: [in-phpug] How to Generate Reports from Mysql database

  • Tarique Sani <tarique@sanisoft.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
      On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 vinodbhaskar@... wrote:

      > We are now developing a B2C portal for our Company. Platform is Linux -
      > Appache- MySQL- PHP.
      Great!!

      > Therefore, instead of displying the reports in a browser, I want to
      > disply in a text file. How can I do the same.
      *If* this is the only problem then the solution is simple - dont output
      HTML, output text in your browser by sending the appropriate content-type
      header :-)

      However I am still not able to understand why aligning would be a problem
      in HTML - you need not create tables with %age width - give in pixels!!

      So you will get a horizontal scroll bar BUT that is fine - with print
      preview in most modern browsers you can see what is being printed.

      Send a URL of sample problem HTML page - the problem is not of PHP it is
      HTML but heck we can still take a look - right folks?

      That said you can take a look at DataVision a java based report generating
      tool for most Open RDBMS but then Java != PHP ;-)

      HTH

      PHP Applications for E-Biz : http://www.sanisoft.com

      The Ultimate Ghazal Lexicon: http://www.aaina-e-ghazal.com
    • amit soni
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        read about pack /unpack functions in PHP.

        They allow you to create fixed length packets of strings.
        These packests can then be written to a text file.

        If even after reading pack/unpack U are unable to use them with text files. let me know and I'll write u a ssmall example.

        BTW regarding the html problem.

        I suggest that for HTMLs that big, U can create a part of the HTML page(to be repeated) in a something like dream weaver etc and then add the PHP thing later on into it.

        rgds,
        Amit.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, amit soni wrote:

          > If even after reading pack/unpack U are unable to use them with text
          > files. let me know and I'll write u a ssmall example.

          Write a small example anyways - I am not sure I understand you :-)

          > I suggest that for HTMLs that big, U can create a part of the HTML
          > page(to be repeated) in a something like dream weaver etc and then add
          > the PHP thing later on into it.

          OR Vinod can use template blocks - see the archive for how to use
          templates