Re: [in-phpug] Cities and suburban grouping

  • Sumit Mittal
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
      hi,

      are u looking for a db design of gui design for
      this...
      if it is db design let us know what all info u want
      for each metro..

      cheers,
      sumit

      --- mkumarpatil <mkumarpatil@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I am really halted by one problem.I want its
      > solution from scratch if
      > possible.
      >
      > I want to link metros (Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta and
      > Chennai) and their
      > suburbans with the help of database.
      >
      > I am working in PHP, MySQL and Apache environment.
      >
      > Programmatically I should able to put the things
      > connected with
      > metros and their suburbans in database and want to
      > retrieve it.
      >
      > In more simplified way, I am sending form where I am
      > validating it
      > with place of origin and more deeply with suburban
      > if any for eg
      > Mumbai -> Andheri this way.
      >
      > If anybody has any ideas, any suggetions, please
      > pass them to me :)
      > Its very urgent to me.
      >
      > Thxx,
      > Milindkumar Patil,
      > mkumarpatil@...

      > --------------------~-->
      > Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email
      > design.

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/saFolB/TM

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Suchi Garg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
        in ur DB table, with each region record, keep a parent id which is the id of
        the parent region. This will help in keeoing the heirarchy between the
        regions.
        If u need more help, pls email me directly.

        Suchi

      • M Krishna Srikanth
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          My suggestions from what I understood from your words.

          1st suggestion:
          In the regis form or whatever form, put all the suburban. city names in dropdown menu.. Use optgroup tag for city names if required. Then in the PHP code, write the possibilities for the place selected by the user.

          2nd suggestion:
          While displaying or registering. information, try using maps (city maps and html image maps). So 1st will be india map, user clicks Mumbai, then mumbai map will come, user then clicks andheri, then andheri's information will come from database, or user will be provided andheri form to fill data. and PHP code will be optimised.
          Suggested database:
          placename, nearestcity, more columns of your choice.

          Got it?

          - Krishna
          www.krishnasrikanth.com