unicode php and mysql

  • Jaskirat Singh
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 6:03 AM
      Hi,
      We are trying to write a bi-lingual (english + punjabi) application.
      It is basically a news site which has news in both.

      We started playing with php 5, Mysql 4.1 but so far have not been able
      to insert and retrieve data without deforming it some way or the other.

      When we use Phpmyadmin for that, it seems to be doing a very fine job,
      but how its doing it has so far eluded me. I have declared charset as
      utf-8 .. any ideas what more we need to do.

      Jas
    • Shyam Sundar
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 10:28 AM
        Seeing the PHPMyAdmin src code would hep you !!!

        --
        Shyam Sundar

      • Jaskirat Singh
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3 10:33 PM
          :)
          I did some of that yesterday .. and I will do some more today. But its
          helluva of code to sift through .. or so it seems

          Jas

          --- Shyam Sundar <ssundar85@...> wrote:
          > Seeing the PHPMyAdmin src code would hep you !!!
          >
          > --- Jaskirat Singh <jaskirat_singh@...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > We are trying to write a bi-lingual (english +
          > > punjabi) application.
          > > It is basically a news site which has news in both.
          > >
          > > We started playing with php 5, Mysql 4.1 but so far
          > > have not been able
          > > to insert and retrieve data without deforming it
          > > some way or the other.
          > >
          > > When we use Phpmyadmin for that, it seems to be
          > > doing a very fine job,
          > > but how its doing it has so far eluded me. I have
          > > declared charset as
          > > utf-8 .. any ideas what more we need to do.
          > >
          > > Jas
          > >

          > --
          > Shyam Sundar

          > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.
          > http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony/

        • Nirav Mehta
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3 11:26 PM
            Hi,

            >> > We are trying to write a bi-lingual (english +
            >> > punjabi) application.
            >> > It is basically a news site which has news in both.

            PHPMyAdmin - in my opinion - is a really bad implementation of multi
            lingual features.

            Try using a simple .lang.php file or something similar. In my Linux
            Bangalore 2004 presentation, I talked about various approaches you can use
            to build multilingual websites. You may find the slides of that
            presentation helpful:

            http://linux-bangalore.org/2004/schedules/talkdetails.php?talkcode=C0400022

            Best Regards,
            Nirav