abt creating an"Editable PDF File" in PHP

  • San
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
      Hi all,

      this is my first post 2 u all...I have been instructed to create
      an "Editable PDF file" ... this concept is new for me....i have tried
      looking for resources..for eg in www.fpdf.org but in that the file
      gets created but its "UNEDITABLE"...

      Plz can anyone help me find resources for an "editable PDF file"....

      regards,
      Sandeep
    • Jaskirat Singh
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
        Hi Sandeep,
        I believe files created with php can be opened and edited any time.
        PHP uses this library http://www.pdflib.com/pdflib/index.html

        More http://in2.php.net/pdf

        Jaskirat

        --- San <pod1883@...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > this is my first post 2 u all...I have been instructed to create
        > an "Editable PDF file" ... this concept is new for me....i have tried
        >
        > looking for resources..for eg in www.fpdf.org but in that the file
        > gets created but its "UNEDITABLE"...
        >
        > Plz can anyone help me find resources for an "editable PDF file"....
        >
        > regards,
        > Sandeep

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Sameer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 8, 2004
          Hi,

          Thanx for ur prompt response......but its a paid site and i am an Indian .....no free downloads either.....no demo version....what should i do??

          Sandeep

          --- San <pod1883@...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > this is my first post 2 u all...I have been instructed to create
          > an "Editable PDF file" ... this concept is new for me....i have tried
          >
          > looking for resources..for eg in www.fpdf.org but in that the file
          > gets created but its "UNEDITABLE"...
          >
          > Plz can anyone help me find resources for an "editable PDF file"....
          >
          > regards,
          > Sandeep

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          The difference between dreams and accomplishments is purely desire

          -----WWF---------

        • Vinay Yadav
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
            Hi Sameer,

            > but its a paid site and i am an Indian .....
            What does it mean. Do indians dont pay for anything!

            Anyway, try googling and you will come up with huge resources. but still
            you will have to THINK and create your own system using online resouces.

            Here are some pointers...
            http://www.ros.co.nz/pdf/

            http://www.interakt.ro/products/overview_9.html?from=lowhome

            This is very good article:
            http://www.devshed.com/c/a/PHP/PDF-Generation-With-PHP/
            http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/tutorial-PDFgen2.php

            Finally Master of all:
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=php+pdf+generation ;)

            HTH

            Regards
            Vinay

            no free downloads either.....no demo version....what should i do??

            > Sandeep
            >
            > Jaskirat Singh <jaskirat_singh@...> wrote:
            > Hi Sandeep,
            > I believe files created with php can be opened and edited any time.
            > PHP uses this library http://www.pdflib.com/pdflib/index.html
            >
            > More http://in2.php.net/pdf
            >
            > Jaskirat
            >
            > --- San <pod1883@...> wrote:
            >
            >>Hi all,
            >>
            >>this is my first post 2 u all...I have been instructed to create
            >>an "Editable PDF file" ... this concept is new for me....i have tried
            >>
            >>looking for resources..for eg in www.fpdf.org but in that the file
            >>gets created but its "UNEDITABLE"...
            >>
            >>Plz can anyone help me find resources for an "editable PDF file"....
            >>
            >>regards,
            >>Sandeep

            Vinay Yadav vinay@...
            vinayRas Infotech http://www.vinayras.com
            Nagpur, India +91 94221 13939
            Linux & Network Consultant
          • Shantanu Kumar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
              > --- San <pod1883@...> wrote:
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > this is my first post 2 u all...I have been
              > instructed to create
              > > an "Editable PDF file" ... this concept is new for
              > me....i have tried
              > >
              > > looking for resources..for eg in www.fpdf.org but
              > in that the file
              > > gets created but its "UNEDITABLE"...
              > >
              > > Plz can anyone help me find resources for an
              > "editable PDF file"....

              As far I know (I haven't read the PDF specification!),
              PDF is a one-way format to present information. To
              keep it editable, probably you will need to
              reverse-construct the information back to an editable
              format, such as RTF, DOC, SXW etc.

              An alternative can be to keep the editable data in an
              editable format that can be modified on the fly, and
              export to PDF on the fly whenever you want to. You can
              also use PDF generation libraries (such as FPDF or
              PDFLib for PHP) to dynamically create PDFs.

              Reverse-constructing from PDFs can be a herculian
              task, and almost impossible to achieve perfectly. For
              example, a PDF can come from an RTF file, an image
              processing software, an advanced graphics plotting
              software and so on. "How to attain a single editable
              format for all these types" is the real "improbable"
              feat.

              Regards,
              Shantanu

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • Jaskirat Singh
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                > As far I know (I haven't read the PDF specification!),
                > PDF is a one-way format to present information. To

                That is not correct. You can create, modify PDF using PHP straight and
                simple.

                Of course to do that *well* you need to know details of PDF format but
                that is another point.

                Jaski

                > keep it editable, probably you will need to
                > reverse-construct the information back to an editable
                > format, such as RTF, DOC, SXW etc.
                >
                > An alternative can be to keep the editable data in an
                > editable format that can be modified on the fly, and
                > export to PDF on the fly whenever you want to. You can
                > also use PDF generation libraries (such as FPDF or
                > PDFLib for PHP) to dynamically create PDFs.
                >
                > Reverse-constructing from PDFs can be a herculian
                > task, and almost impossible to achieve perfectly. For
                > example, a PDF can come from an RTF file, an image
                > processing software, an advanced graphics plotting
                > software and so on. "How to attain a single editable
                > format for all these types" is the real "improbable"
                > feat.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Shantanu

                > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                http://messenger.yahoo.com/
              • subhajit duttaroy
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2004
                  Hi,

                  I do agree Shantanu's comments.
                  Modify the Data Format and again create PDF on the
                  file with the same name this u can edit the pdf file.

                  Best Regards
                  Roy

                  --- Jaskirat Singh <jaskirat_singh@...> wrote:
                  > > As far I know (I haven't read the PDF
                  > specification!),
                  > > PDF is a one-way format to present information. To
                  >
                  > That is not correct. You can create, modify PDF
                  > using PHP straight and
                  > simple.
                  >
                  > Of course to do that *well* you need to know details
                  > of PDF format but
                  > that is another point.
                  >
                  > Jaski
                  >

                  > > keep it editable, probably you will need to
                  > > reverse-construct the information back to an
                  > editable
                  > > format, such as RTF, DOC, SXW etc.
                  > >
                  > > An alternative can be to keep the editable data in
                  > an
                  > > editable format that can be modified on the fly,
                  > and
                  > > export to PDF on the fly whenever you want to. You
                  > can
                  > > also use PDF generation libraries (such as FPDF or
                  > > PDFLib for PHP) to dynamically create PDFs.
                  > >
                  > > Reverse-constructing from PDFs can be a herculian
                  > > task, and almost impossible to achieve perfectly.
                  > For
                  > > example, a PDF can come from an RTF file, an image
                  > > processing software, an advanced graphics plotting
                  > > software and so on. "How to attain a single
                  > editable
                  > > format for all these types" is the real
                  > "improbable"
                  > > feat.
                  > >
                  > > Regards,
                  > > Shantanu

                  > > Friends. Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
                  > > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                  > http://messenger.yahoo.com/

                  http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                • Shashi Shekhar S
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 10, 2004

                    > As far I know (I haven't read the PDF specification!),
                    > PDF is a one-way format to present information. To
                    > keep it editable, probably you will need to
                    > reverse-construct the information back to an editable
                    > format, such as RTF, DOC, SXW etc.

                    PDF has a editable mode too. You can use open source tools such as
                    LaTex/Scribus/etc to create them other than the Adobe Distiller
                    For eg. http://physics.uni-mysore.ac.in/fiveyear/appln5-04.pdf

                    > An alternative can be to keep the editable data in an
                    > editable format that can be modified on the fly, and
                    > export to PDF on the fly whenever you want to. You can
                    > also use PDF generation libraries (such as FPDF or
                    > PDFLib for PHP) to dynamically create PDFs.

                    For the web though, we could as well use html forms and generate the
                    PDFs dynamically, right ?

                    shashi

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                  • Shantanu Kumar
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10, 2004
                      --- Shashi Shekhar S <shashishekhars@...> wrote:
                      > PDF has a editable mode too. You can use open source
                      > tools such as
                      > LaTex/Scribus/etc to create them other than the
                      > Adobe Distiller

                      For me, that's a news! Thanks for correcting me.

                      > For the web though, we could as well use html forms
                      > and generate the
                      > PDFs dynamically, right ?

                      Not only that; also maybe keep an XML copy of the data
                      at the back end and generate PDF dynamically as you
                      please.

                      Regards,
                      Shantanu

                      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                    • rakesh pant
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 10, 2004
                        First of all a very Warm Hello (Namaskar) to all the members of the group I am Rakesh a new member of this group and have just started my career as a php programmer. I never looked php as a scripting language i always feel that i am working in C, C++, its really powerful.

                        I have a problem

                        #1 can any body tell me the significance of the function "snmpwalk()" why and when this function is used (please details if possible).

                        Hope u all accept me as a member

                        regards

                        Rakesh Pant

                      • Jaskirat Singh
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 10, 2004
                          Shantanu I am sorry for saying that you were wrong. I was under an
                          impression that PDF is an editable format.

                          However some degree of manipulation is possible. One product which
                          provides some of that capability is PFDLib + PDI
                          http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib/pdi.html

                          but its not free ..

                          Jaski

                          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
                        • Dr Tarique Sani
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 10, 2004
                            Quoting rakesh pant <rakeshlbsimds01@...>:

                            Welcome,

                            First of all remember to put meaning full subject lines in your mails, do not
                            start a new topic by replying to an old mail

                            Read - http://in2.php.net/snmpwalk

                            > Hope u all accept me as a member

                            You will be - if you follow the basic rules of a mailing list

                            Dr Tarique Sani
                            Moderator

                          • hs narayan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 11, 2004
                              Hi Rakesh,

                              Read this article. Maybe this can provide you some more detail.
                              http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/07/27/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

                              Regards,

                              Narayan