Activity from comet C/2000 WM1

  • Hans Zekl
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      I recently checked the orbit of comet C/2000 WM1 (LINEAR). Interestingly
      this comet will pass inside the earth's orbit in a distance of about 2.8
      million km ( 0,019 AU) when it reaches its ascending node on March 1st,
      2002 (no nongravitational forces taken into account). The earth will
      reach this point on May 19th, 2002.

      Did anyone try to calculate the possibility of a meteor shower around
      this day?

      Dr. Hans Zekl
    • Christian Steyaert
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2001
        At 23:22 2/05/2001 +0200, Hans Zekl wrote:
        >I recently checked the orbit of comet C/2000 WM1 (LINEAR). Interestingly
        >this comet will pass inside the earth's orbit in a distance of about 2.8
        >million km ( 0,019 AU) when it reaches its ascending node on March 1st,
        >2002 (no nongravitational forces taken into account). The earth will
        >reach this point on May 19th, 2002.

        Can confirm this calculation, and I find for the corresponding radiant:

        R.A = 37 deg, Decl = - 30 deg, V0 = 47 km/s

        Regards,

        Chris

        | Chris Steyaert Tel : +32 (14) 31 51 04 |
        | V.V.S. Astronomical Association E-mail : steyaert@... |
        | Kruisven 66 |
        | B-2400 Mol, Belgium 51 deg N, 5 deg E |