Anyone lose a normal baby with treatment and the go on to have success?

  • Lesa Browning
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2010
      After several losses we were finally diagnosed with APS, slightly elevated NKs, high ANAs and MTHFR. I was treated with Lovenox, Metanx, Steroids and Intralipids. This time I did not miscarry early but instead had to have a D&C at 7 weeks when only the yolk sac had developed. My pathology report came back as normal. I know that even with treatment, they quote only an 80% success rate for women with immune issues. Has anyone had a loss of a normal baby like this and gone on to have success? We are double donor so there is no matching issues with me and the hubby. My RE has basically given up. I am waiting to speak to my RI. Our insurance does not cover IVIG and at $10K here we really can't afford it and my NK cells have come down on Intraipids. My endo biopsy came back as normal. I have had kids the old fashioned way with no problems in the past. We started IVF three years after our last daughter was born, clearly something changed in my body.
      Lesa
    • Sherry Ramey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
        Lesa,
        The only other thing I can think of is the iv ig. I'm assuming your cytokines are normal and remain normal after pregnancy?  Mine jumped way up and getting iv ig but my insurance covers w/ small co-pay, otherwise couldn't afford $2,500k a pop for this.  Are you using donor eggs and have you had repeated m/c's with donor eggs?  If so, that would seem to be more of a red flag especially if you are being treated for immune issues also..

        Sorry can't be more helpful.

        Sherry

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
          Hi Sherry,
          I did immune testing with Dr. Matzner who was trained by Dr. Beer.  I am not sure about my cytokines to be honest.  Failures with donor eggs, something big has to be going on.  I have done Intralipids but not IVIG.  The cost for me to do the suggested three days of IVIV at 30 grams per day was just under $10K!!  And then I would have to do it again with a positive pregnancy test.  It is just too expensive, especially when Intralipids seemed to work well for me.  I am just frustrated.
          Thanks for the help,

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
            Lesa,
            I'm sorry to hear this as I was considering surrogacy for myself if this donor egg cycle didn't work for me and I figured if I can't get preg or keep m/c'ing and I'm covering all my bases then something must be going on with me.. I understand about he iv ig because not just the first 10k but may need to get throughout whole pregnancy.  How many m/c's or BFN have you had with donor eggs and how many different donors?  Were they strong donors w/ proven track record?

[...]

          • Holly
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
              (((Lesa))) I am so sorry that the news that came back, has left you confused and frustrated - gosh darnit, I wish I had something good to advise or suggest - I always feel so useless when I don't have anything new or helpful to share, in terms of helping this work for you. Sigh... The only thing I could possibly suggest at this point is surrogacy - have you ever considered it? I know there are lots of expenses involved in that too, but it can defintiely be more of a sure thing - and not only is GS an option using your embryos or embryos with donor eggs, but there is also TS where your surro uses her own egg - and that eliminates the need for pricey procedures and egg donor fees - and all those extra expenses involved in IVF, if your budget is tight. I would be more than happy to talk to you about it further if you want, as I have been both a GS and TS. Let  me know...

              BIG (((HUGS))) coming your way!!!

              ~ Holly

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
                Holly,
                You sound like such a wonderful person, and I'm amazed that you would carry a baby for another couple, even using your own eggs, and then give the couple that baby! There aren't too many women who would do that for someone else.
                I live in the UK, and I haven't even looked into surrogacy, but maybe I should as I need donor eggs and sperm, and I became so ill last time I was pregnant that I had to be hospitalised.
                Do you know anything about surrogacy in the UK, or do you know anyone in the US who would consider surrogacy for a UK couple (although I am actually American, but have lived here for many years!). We are currently considering adoption as well, but that is not without its problems either. I admit I hardly know anything about surrogacy, so any info appreciated! Thanks :) xxx c

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 12, 2010
                  Claudia, thank you for your sweet and thoughtful reply!!! I just emailed you privately, so as not to bombard the group with info that others may not be interested in, ok!!!

                  (((HUGS)))