Re: My second interview experience.

  • evelynne_r
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
      Well done Gokul - good to hear your news. Good luck with the next
      stage of your immigration journey.

      Evelynne

      --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "cgk_79" <cgk_79@y...>
      wrote:
      > At last, to lift up the spirit of everybody, good news, I got the
      > CSQ last week, Monday, Feb 23, after going against many odds.
      >
      > If you remember, I guess I was the first to attend an interview
      from
      > this group during the month of Sep. 2003 and was told by the
      officer
      > that I wasn't eligible to get the CSQ for the reason of not being
      > able to speak French (and I wasn't able to get the total points
      > either). He offered me two choices 1) He can close my file or 2)
      He
> [...]
      > debt, because of the money I spent for my masters. I was also
      having
      > job interview calls, so it was a tough decision for me to make,
      what
      > to do next. Maybe getting a job in U.S and doing an evening French
      > class in Alliance Françoise would have been a good idea, but being
      > person as I am, who like to do things a little different, I
      decided
      > to take a little risk. I decided to travel to Quebec and spend
      some
      > time there, and I decided to give up my job opportunities and
      > interviews in U.S by doing so.
      >
      > Got a visitor visa to Canada. And believe me it wasn't easy
      either.
      > The Canadian consulate drilled me with questions, as I didn't had
      > job in U.S and had only students visa in U.S. They needed some
      good
      > reason from me, for visiting Canada. The lady at the embassy gave
      me
      > back the application and asked me to come back after I find a job
      in
      > U.S, to get a visitor visa to Canada. I had to argue in length to
      > convince her and at last she gave me a visa for two months. So the
      > first hurdle of getting a visitor visa to Canada was taken care
      of.

      > Now what? Where to go? I had someone in Canada, in Montreal (a
      > friend, of a uncle of my friend :) And I told him, I am planning
      > visit Quebec and I wanted to learn French. He told me, the fastest
      > way to learn French, would be to go north, and Chicoutimi is what
      he
      > suggested me. He gave me the contact details of a friends of his,
      > living there.
      >
      > So I ended up in Chicoutimi. Believe me that was the wonderful
      > experience I ever had. Its totally, totally French. From day one I
      > spoke (tried) only French(had no choice anyways) and lived in a
      > complete Francophone environment.
      >
      > I spent most of the time in streets, met as many people as I can,
      > had language partners, spent time in local bars, spoke French and
      > Quebecois:) Heard only French channels, read only French
      > newspapers, and actually had weird dreams in French. So after my
      > stay of two months in Quebec, I called the Quebec office and asked
      > for an interview. I think they were little surprised, that I
      called
      > them just after 3 months (first week of December 2003). The
      officer
      > told me to call back that afternoon, to see what they can do. That
      > afternoon, when I called him, I was asked by him to call an
      officer
      > in Montreal, and apparently this is the chief of Quebec
      immigration.
      > Oh well, I need to speak to the chief (probably the highest in the
      > hierarchy of Quebec immigration) and I wasn't sure, what he was
      > going to ask me and added to that, its going to be in total
      French,
> [...]
      > schedule an interview for me, as soon possible.
      >
      > A sigh of relief from me. Good to hear from someone high up in the
      > bureaucracy, that my French is good. Called NY office after a week
      > and fixed the interview on Feb. 23. All this happened before
      > Christmas, so I decided to prolong my stay in Quebec, until the
      > interview.
      >
      > I returned to U.S on 21st of Feb. went to NY on 23rd morning and
      was
      > greeted by a nice lady in the Quebec office. We ended up talking
      > about my experience in Quebec. I told her, how much I liked the
      > place and everything about Quebec. When I was in Quebec I went to
      > see the Quebec carnival and I had traveled a lot, to see many
      winter
      > festivals and stuffs like that, so it was like two old friends
      > taking about home.
      >
      > After, 30 minutes she asked me, if there's anything I wanted to
      > show, as part of my application. I gave the letters from my
      friends
      > in Quebec and the addresses and contact details of all the
      > prospectus employers I had meet in Quebec.
      >
      > She told me, "ok let see, how the points come out in the
      computer".
      > After a couple of minutes, she told me "Bravo" and handed me the
      > CSQ. What she told me after that, is what made my day. She told
      > me "its rare to see someone like you, truly interested in Quebec".
      > God, that was worth all the trouble.
      >
      > I walked out of the NY office, content and satisified with
      myself.
      > Oh, just when I got back home, I learnt that H1B cap has been
      > reached in U.S and even if someone find a job now in U.S, he
      cannot
      > get a H1B visa this year, until October. I was glad that I made
      the
      > right choice of forgoing my job interviews in U.S and spending my
      > time in Quebec. I guess somewhere down the line, divine power
      guided
      > me in taking some crucial decisions.
      >
      > After spending nearly 4 months in Quebec, I can tell you, it's a
      > beautiful province with wonderful people. All of you, truly
      > interested in settling at Quebec, you will be glad that you made
      the
      > best choice.
      >
      > Now, I am waiting for my FBI letter and I am going to send my
      > federal application after getting it. I hope things will work out
      > fine with my federal application.
      >
      > So that's my experience with my CSQ. From the point of being
      > rejected during the first interview at the end of Sept. 2003, I
      got
      > my CSQ on Feb.23 2004. So my perspective is, if you are determined
      > and if you really like Quebec, you will do what it takes to get
      the
      > CSQ, and you CAN get the CSQ.
      >
      > The Quebec immigration officers highly appreciate every tiny
      effort
      > you make in learning French, Quebec, their culture.

    • Rajesh G
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
        Bonjour Gokul..

        Really an awsome work done by you. Your
        experience and courage really deserve a very loud
        applaud. Wish u all the best .

        Raj

        === message truncated ===

        http://search.yahoo.com