  • Gokul R
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 30, 2003
      So who is going to be the first in the group to attend
      the interview?! I have mine scheduled on Sep 19th.
      Does anyone have a interview date before that? If you
      find something interesting regarding the interview, to
      share, please do so.

      Thanks,
      ~Gokul

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Karen
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
        Hi Gokul,

        So how did your interview go? Hope everything is good.
        Could you tell us some details?

        Gokul R <cgk_79@...> wrote:
        So who is going to be the first in the group to attend
        the interview?! I have mine scheduled on Sep 19th.
        Does anyone have a interview date before that? If you
        find something interesting regarding the interview, to
        share, please do so.

        Thanks,
        ~Gokul

      • clairvoyant316
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
          Yeah...I want to know too.
          To Karen:
          When is yours scheduled???

          --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Karen <karen_tgha@y...>

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
            Hi Clair

            I do not yet have an interview scheduled... It's been one and half months as I sent the DCS package and currently am waiting for their reply.

            clairvoyant316 <aryobw@...> wrote:
            Yeah...I want to know too.
            To Karen:
            When is yours scheduled???

          • clairvoyant316
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
              Join the club..:)

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
                Hi Karen, Sorry I didn't see your email earlier. Mine
                didn't go well as I wanted it go. The office asked me
                to take a second interview later to reassess my French
                skills. He gave I think 2 on my French. I was able to
                understand what he asked well, and the problem came
                when I have to give my answers to his questions. I
                wasn't able to talk comfortably( although I was able
                to talk to him). I had French as my second language in
                my higher secondary so it has been 7 years since I
                took the class. This was his own words " your French
                listening is good, but you couldn't talk with comfort
                in French" and you need that level to get the passing
                score. So unfortunately my totals points didn't make
                to the total one needed pass the CSQ. The the officer
                suggested me to take some French classes and retake
                the interview. He didn't reject my application but
                rather, told my file will be kept in hold. And the
                other problem was I didn't have much work experiece.
                Only a year. But the research in my M.S was in
                biomedical engineering, so he was impressed with my
                educational background, unforutnately the total was
                not able to get there.

                Anyway I don't want to sound discouraging to you guys,
                but it would be wiser idea to go back to the link send
                my Karen(I guess) to check how much you will get out
                of 60. The pass mark is 60. The officer disceretion
                will be final with the French.

                Rather than being unhappy, I am totally satisifed with
                the way the decision taken by the officer. I guess
                they have the freedom now to choose from a vast pool
                of applicants now after the federal points went upto
                75. Now that the federal pass mark has gone down, the
                Quebec immigration may be linient again in their
                selection.

                Now don't you all panic, the officer there is very
                friendly and they want to help you as far as they can.
                In my case the officer cannot give more points to make
                the case pass thats all. You may easily pass if you
                have basic French and good experience. Again do the
                math yourself with the link given by someone from one
                of us.

                Good luck for all of you. If you have anymore question
                send to the group.

                Take Care all.

                --- Karen <karen_tgha@...> wrote:
                > Hi Gokul,
                >
                > So how did your interview go? Hope everything is
                > good.
                > Could you tell us some details?
                >

                > Gokul R <cgk_79@...> wrote:
                > So who is going to be the first in the group to
                > attend
                > the interview?! I have mine scheduled on Sep 19th.
                > Does anyone have a interview date before that? If
                > you
                > find something interesting regarding the interview,
                > share, please do so.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > ~Gokul

                > Terms of Service.

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • sj_russian
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 20, 2003
                  Sorry it didn't go so well. I didn't know that the passmark for
                  Quebec is 60. I underestimated my French abilities on my
                  preselection form so I have a score of 57 - is it still possible
                  that they will respond to my application? My education and job
                  qualifications are top points. With the federal mark going down,
                  that looks like the easier way to go, although they want more money
                  in the bank!

                  --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Gokul R <cgk_79@y...>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                    Well you still need to give the federal government the
                    money they want after getting the CSQ.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                      If you are good in French I dont think you would have
                      any problem. Good luck

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Wesley Cannon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                        What questions did he ask you?  How long were you in the interview?

                        I have a question for everyone in addition to the above question to Gokul..

                        My partner and I are planning to use a statement of his 401k as proof of financial funds..do you all believe this will be acceptable to them?  I know they would like you to have at least $3,000 dollars ($1000 per month) so that you can get on your feet.  He has enough for us to survive at least 5 months.  We are going to show the statement and print out a page showing he can cash that whenever he pleases.  I have emailed the NY office but they have not answered me....so I figured I would pose this question to you all...

                        Also, Gokul, they didn't give you a test in French, they  just simply talked with you to get a feel for your French abilities?

                        Thanks in advance.
                        Wes

                        --- sj_russian <sj_russian@...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > the
                        > > math yourself with the link given by someone from
                        > one
                        > > of us.
                        > >
                        > > Good luck for all of you. If you have anymore
                        > question
                        > > send to the group.
                        > >
                        > > Take Care all.
                        > >

                        > > --- Karen <karen_tgha@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Hi Gokul,
                        > > >
                        > > > So how did your interview go? Hope everything is
                        > > > good.
                        > > > Could you tell us some details?
                        > > >

                        > > > Gokul R <cgk_79@y...> wrote:
                        > > > So who is going to be the first in the group to
                        > > > attend
                        > > > the interview?! I have mine scheduled on Sep
                        > 19th.
                        > > > Does anyone have a interview date before that?
                        > If
                        > > > you
                        > > > find something interesting regarding the

                      • clairvoyant316
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                          Dear Gokul:
                          What did you bring to the interview?
                          Did he ask you about money/bank statement or anything else?

                          I've heard rumor [in the past] that if you choose to settle
                          elsewhere besides Montreal and Quebec City, they will hand you the
                          CSQ like candies.

                          wrote:
                          > Hi Karen, Sorry I didn't see your email earlier. Mine
                          > didn't go well as I wanted it go. The office asked me
                          > to take a second interview later to reassess my French
                          > skills. He gave I think 2 on my French. I was able to
                          > understand what he asked well, and the problem came
                          > when I have to give my answers to his questions. I
                          > wasn't able to talk comfortably( although I was able
                          > to talk to him). I had French as my second language in
                          > my higher secondary so it has been 7 years since I
                          > took the class. This was his own words " your French
                          > listening is good, but you couldn't talk with comfort
                          > in French" and you need that level to get the passing
                          > score. So unfortunately my totals points didn't make
                          > to the total one needed pass the CSQ. The the officer
                          > suggested me to take some French classes and retake
                          > the interview. He didn't reject my application but
                          > rather, told my file will be kept in hold. And the
                          > other problem was I didn't have much work experiece.
                          > Only a year. But the research in my M.S was in
                          > biomedical engineering, so he was impressed with my
                          > educational background, unforutnately the total was
                          > not able to get there.
                          >

                          > Anyway I don't want to sound discouraging to you guys,
                          > but it would be wiser idea to go back to the link send
                          > my Karen(I guess) to check how much you will get out
                          > of 60. The pass mark is 60. The officer disceretion
                          > will be final with the French.
                          >
                          > Rather than being unhappy, I am totally satisifed with
                          > the way the decision taken by the officer. I guess
                          > they have the freedom now to choose from a vast pool
                          > of applicants now after the federal points went upto
                          > 75. Now that the federal pass mark has gone down, the
                          > Quebec immigration may be linient again in their
                          > selection.
                          >
                          > Now don't you all panic, the officer there is very
                          > friendly and they want to help you as far as they can.
                          > In my case the officer cannot give more points to make
                          > the case pass thats all. You may easily pass if you
                          > have basic French and good experience. Again do the
                          > math yourself with the link given by someone from one
                          > of us.
                          >
                          > Good luck for all of you. If you have anymore question
                          > send to the group.
                          >
                          > Take Care all.
                        • clairvoyant316
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                            The keyword is liquid fund (ready to cash anytime).
                            These funds could be in the form of:
                            cash;
                            securities in bearer form (for example: stocks, bonds, debentures,
                            treasury bills); or
                            negotiable instruments in bearer form (for example: bankers' drafts,
                            cheques, travellers' cheques, money orders.)

                            I called the NY Office the other day. I was kind of dissapointed
                            because I have my 401K ready too.
                            IMHO, you can always transform your 401K to a saving account.
                            FYI, The NY office won't answer emails.

                            --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Wesley Cannon
                            <wncannon@y...> wrote:
                            > What questions did he ask you? How long were you in the
                            interview?
                            > I have a question for everyone in addition to the above question
                            to Gokul..
                            > My partner and I are planning to use a statement of his 401k as
                            proof of financial funds..do you all believe this will be acceptable
                            to them? I know they would like you to have at least $3,000 dollars
                            ($1000 per month) so that you can get on your feet. He has enough
                            for us to survive at least 5 months. We are going to show the
                            statement and print out a page showing he can cash that whenever he
                            pleases. I have emailed the NY office but they have not answered
                            me....so I figured I would pose this question to you all...
                            > Also, Gokul, they didn't give you a test in French, they just
                            simply talked with you to get a feel for your French abilities?
                            > Thanks in advance.
                            > Wes
                          • Karen
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                              Hi Gokul,

                              Sad that it didnt go in the best way it could. But the fact that they didn't close the case shows again that SIQ officers are friendly - very good sign.

                              By the way, regarding better training in french conversation, you can find this useful: there are quite lots of ads of people who would do french tutoring on www.craigslist.com - in "Services Offered" section. This website lists pretty much all major US cities, so should be easy to find someone. Price ranges for tutoring are varying, and there are very affordable offers.

                              Regarding, new pass bar of 67 points - I think this is something very temporary. But the fact is that less people would try to go through Quebec immigration while federal points are low, so in general chances to pass Quebc imm. would improve (temporarily).
                              Thanks a lot for sharing the experience - its very valuable information for all of us.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                                Karen thanks a lot for the information about the
                                French conversation. Does anyone know about French
                                conversation courses in Montreal or other parts of
                                Quebec. Alliance Franciase or something like that. I
                                looked into universties like Umontreal, concordia and
                                so and the courses have already started for the fall
                                term. Other courses that I looked at seemed very
                                costly for me. So in case anyone know more information
                                do share with me. I live in Baltimore Maryland and I
                                found a Alliance Franciase, I need to get more
                                inforamtion on the courses they offer later next week.

                                Anyway thanks and good luck all.

                                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                              • Ravi Rao
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                                  * Gokul R [Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:02:16PM -0700]:

                                  Gokul> French conversation. Does anyone know about French
                                  Gokul> conversation courses in Montreal or other parts of
                                  Gokul> Quebec. Alliance Franciase or something like that. I

                                  [...]

                                  http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/mss/french.htm

                                  Hope this helps,

                                  --ravi.
                                • Crayon s
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003

                                    Dear All,

                                    Recently I learned from a message from Gokul that he implicitly indicated an alledged passmark of 60 for Quebec immigration system. My question to Gokul and all of recipients is if this is just based on conjectures or this is a solid fact explicitly proved by a number of similar experienced (specifically to Gokul, did the interviewer give you an account of the scoring s/he made for your case and explain that you failed for this?

                                    My personal impression was to believe that it is sort of diiscretion of the visa officer (interviewer) to check on originallity and genuineness of the applicants intention to reside in Quebec rather than putting strict scores for him/her. This opinion is further corrroborated by the recent message we received from the applicant who had a successful interview waiver and assigned the length of interviews to ability of French language (to my understanding not for the case of scores, bit more for the proof as a genuine intention to reside in Quebec.)

                                    I would be most grateful if the recipients would elaborate on this. The evaluation grid of the Quebec  immigration site DOES encourage applicants who score way below 60 (I think even close to 50) to apply for CSQ.

                                    I look forward to your opinions and feedback,

                                    Best

                                    Rubin

                                  • Karen

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003

                                        karen> Yes, there is a selection grid based on points. I'm
                                        karen> attaching the selection criteria togethyer with this
                                        karen> email. I downloaded it from Quebec government website.

                                        They also have a semi-buggy Javascript app. (tuned for Microsoft
                                        Internet Explorer) at
                                        http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/anglais/immigration/permanent-worker/autoevaluation.html

                                        You can play around with it, and see where you belong.

                                        **

                                        Crayon> on this. The evaluation grid of the Quebec immigration site
                                        Crayon> DOES encourage applicants who score way below 60 (I think
                                        Crayon> even close to 50) to apply for CSQ.

                                        Well, in case of doubt, you really should turn in a preliminary
                                        application, I think.

                                        --ravi.

                                        PS: Just a personal preference: I would appreciate it if people
                                        "turned off" HTML settings while sending out email. Plaintext works
                                        well enough, thanks.
                                      • sj_russian
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 21, 2003
                                          If this rumor is true, I'm in good shape since I want to live in the
                                          beautiful Quebec countryside (Estrie area - about 1.5 hours
                                          southeast of Montreal)! I don't really like Montreal very much.

                                          --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "clairvoyant316"

                                        • cgk_79
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 2, 2004
                                            I got my CSQ after a second interview last week(Feb.23)!!
                                            Below is the message I sent after my disappointing first interview
                                            (Sep 17 2003).
                                            I am sure, you are all interested in knowing the details, and I
                                            promise, I will tell you tommorow after a little supsense :):)

                                            ~Gokul

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                                              Congratulations, Gokul!   Awsome job - you must have succeeded a lot in french, shows a lot of dedication.

                                            • cgk_79
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 3, 2004
                                                Thanks Karen.