Software Engineers

  • Sameh
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 8:48 AM
      Dear All,

      I would like to know if anyone has an experience with Software
      Engineering/Programming profession in Quebec. I need to know if there
      are any legal obligations to exercise this profession in Quebec.

      According to the website of OIQ, an engineering profession has to be
      involved with buildings to some extent. However, if a Software
      Engineer is developing video games or something, It is not necessary
      to join OIQ as it appears to me.

      If anyone could help me regarding this, I will appreciate much his
      help as my interview is coming very soon.

      Best Regards,
      Sameh
    • Eric O
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5 8:59 AM
        You can easily get a software job without being a member of the OIQ - you just wouldn't have the right to call yourself an engineer(they're serious about that in Quebec). OIQ membership gives you lots of other benefits that will make your life easier (for example: Auto Insurance companies will give you preferential rates if you're a member of the OIQ).

        cheers
        Rice

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6 4:06 AM
          Dear Rice,

          I guess I will go further in the admission for the OIQ if I am
          successful in the interview. As it looks like some parts of the OIQ
          admission procedure needs to start from my home country, and other
          parts requires to be in Quebec.

          I just needed to be sure of all the legal requirements for my profession.

          Thanks for your reply,
          Sameh