Is this Scary?

  • Venura Perera
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 16, 2005
      Hi all,
      One of my friends wrote to me following regarding life in Canada , Is this what you all feel???? Or in short is this the general opinion??

      Hi Venura
      I am extremely sorry for not writing to you earlier. Life was a bit hectic
      in the past couple of months. So hope everything with you is fine.
      I am not sure in which field within IT are you experienced with. Is it on
      software or hardware/networking. If it is software, then what is the area?
      like VB, Java, .NET, Oracle etc.
      Write now the IT market in Canada is very bad. It was looking as if the
      market was picking up, but it doesn't seem so. I have so many IT friends who
      are yet working in factories doing odd jobs. Meantime there are very few
      lucky ones who have got into IT jobs as well. But most are doing odd jobs.
      The situation here is that even to get a odd job it's sometimes difficult.
      For me personally, I regret coming here from Sri Lanka as I was doing much
      better back home.
      I don't know your background or family details. Are you married?, do you
      have kids? Are you planning to come to Canada because you want your kids to
      have good education or do you want to come here because of your career? If
      you are thinking to sacrifice your career for the sake of kids then you may
      come here, then may be you could do something completely different to your
      field and have a living and have your kids go to these schools. But if you
      are thinking of coming here to earn money by working on your field then I
      would suggest not to as that cannot be guaranteed. Most of the
      professionals, not only IT professionals even professionals came as Doctors,
      pharmacist etc are all doing taxi driving, truck driving, cleaning, etc. Is
      this what we want here, then its OK. If not this is not a place. This is my
      personal opinion. I think it will be good for your to have some others
      opinion as well.
      I was told that there are some IT job openings that are coming up in other
      provinces. Ontario province and Toronto is very crowded and 60% of the
      Canadian population lives here. Recently one of my friends went to Halifax
      from Toronto as he got an IT job there. These are very few chances and he is
      a Java and Web development(.NET) experience guy. I am not sure about
      the market for other field within IT like for Oracle etc. in Halifax area.
      Similarly there are other provinces such as Alberta,
      etc. May be the situation over there is not bad. I think Vancouver is also
      like Toronto as I know an IT friend of mine was laid off about 2 years ago.
      I have no contact with him since then.
      Even if you come at least for upto 6 months don't expect even an odd job. I
      was here for 9 months without a job and I spent half of the money that I
      brought from home paying rent. Sometimes you could be very lucky to have
      something within 6 months. That too to get an IT job it's like winning a
      lottery ticket. You have to keep on trying, job hunting. Just applying wont
      work, you will have to go about in person make contact and that's how you
      can get in some where. If you are a single person all this is possible, but
      if you are coming with the family with kids its very tough. You may be able
      to get Gas station jobs for night shifts or Factory night shifts. These are
      all possibilities to get something soon, but these are $8.00 per hour job
      and you might get about 6 to 8 hours per day and a maximum of 37.5 hours to
      40 hours a week. Also keep in mind that there is a 15% tax deducted on your
      earning. This will be deducted before you are paid on a 2 weekly basis.
      You may be able to find a one bedroom apartment for about CA$ 800 or $900.
      There are basement apartments (one bedroom) that you may be able to get for
      about $650 or $700
      So you may be able to just cover the rent cost from the odd jobs that you
      will be doing. If both (husband and wife working), then you may be able to
      get some extras. If this is the case and then if you have small kids, you
      will have to put them in Daycares' which are not cheap either. There are
      lots of things that you will have to consider before making your decision.
      It all depends, whether you are family person and number of people etc.
      Canada's problem is that they will always ask for Canadian experience, even
      if you are new to the country, they will ask for Canadian experience, which
      doesn't make sense. But that's the system here. If you say that you are an
      MCP, OCP, still they will ask Canadian experience. It can be really
      frustrating., unless you know the recruiting people personally or you went
      to them through contacts. I got my IT job through my wife's friend's
      contacts.
      Anyway I have some job posting web links for you to just try and see. I have
      my doubt whether anyone of them will contact you even if you apply because
      you are still overseas. I have recently applied for new jobs with my 4 years
      of Canadian experience, but I have not even got an acknowledgement letter
      from them.
      For me personally there wont be a place like Middle East to earn money. Its
      Tax free money and all what you earn is for you. Where as here you are
      paying tax when you are getting the salary and also paying tax when you buy
      things like grocery and stuff(15% again)
      It's very difficult to explain the situation here in writing. If you want to
      call me, you can and I have all my numbers below. All what I have written
      here may sound very negative to you. That's why I am asking you to get some
      other people opinion as well. There are very lucky guys also who have got
      into good position as soon as they come, but 95% are suffering and
      regretting coming here, specially the professionals. People who come as
      refugees, they are doing OK as for them odd jobs are good and also the
      government will pay social welfare if they don't have jobs. But people who
      come with landing paper, the government will not look after them for the
      first 6 months and also they will not pay social welfare unless they show
      very low or Zero balance in their bank. However the social welfare the
      government will
      pay is maximum CA$ 600 to $700, which will be enough just to pay your rent.
      Recently I met a person in the IT field and he said that it looks like there
      is a market for .NET and java here. But I am not sure about these. Anyway
      its no harm in applying for migration. First you should get it and then you
      can make your decision.
      If you have anything in particular just write to me, and hopefully I will be
      able to write to you with details.
      If you want to call me my
      Home phone number is (********)and
      Cell No*********
      NOTE: I will be away for 2 weeks from Nov 21st until Dec 6th 2005 as I am
      going to Australia as I have got my PR status over there. I was told that
      the IT market in Aus is not that bad. You may try Australia instead of
      Canada too. Just a suggestion.
      That's all for now, and please do not hesitate to write to me if you have
      any questions.
      Give my regards to Azhar if you meet him or speak to him.
      Faizal
      Some job links below

    • michel_aho
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
        No offense but I think your friend is just one those stupid people
        that don't know what direction they are heading too or what they
        want.

        First of all my question to you is where your is in Canada. I guess
        this group is supposed to talk about Quebec immigration process. If
        we assume that your friend is in Quebec, he is probably having
        language barrier. How do you expect to get a job in someone's
        country if you don't speak language. That is the reason why when
        Quebec select you and you are not francophone they give information
        on how to learn french. Again remember you can't survive in Quebec
        whithout learning French. If you know French that is good for you.
        If you know French and English that is even better. To be honest
        wiht you, your friend is not telling the thruth. The IT jobs market
        in Quebec is not what he describes. I can give you the address of
        one website you can check it out yourself (www.jobboom.com). Most of
        the time they post a job that requires the applicant to know French
        and English. I assume that your friend does not speak French. How
        does he expect to get these jobs. And the other part is the
        experience, if he has none that is another problem.
        Now concerning the other provinces in Canada where English is
        primarily used I think the IT jobs are still there but the market
        might slow down a little bit recently. It is the same situation here
        in US. There are a lot of jobs out there not for entry level
        positiion and they job market also is slow right now.

        Your friend decided to move to another country, what he forgot is it
        is always a big challenge to live in another country, even just for
        studies it is always a challenge. To take up on this challenge you
        need to be prapared. Dig for information, talk to people, use forums
        on the net. People are willing to share their experience. I guess
        your friend is not mature enough to have problem solving skills. One
        thing I have to tell you is this: sometimes if you have a problem
        take a step back to think and perhaps it is yourself the problem and
        try to take another approach for the problem. But if you keep
        putting the blame on the governement or other people how can you
        succeed. And one thing you need understand too, always try to be
        among the best, there is nothing wrong with that. If you have you
        have some skills that are needed, advertise them properly and sell
        them. That is how you succeed in a western world ( le monde
        occidental).

        Concerning your friend, I guess he has the possibility to go back to
        his country (sry lanka) to start over. Noone is retaining him. Ask
        him why he does not go back?

        Finally to you, if you made a decision to immigrate to canada or
        Quebec or whereever you choose to go, keep this in mind it is a
        challenge a big one. And you need to be prepared for the UPs and
        DOWNS. If you let some stupid people discourage you, I think YOU ARE
        MAKING YOURSELF AVAILABLE FOR FAILURE. I am not saying that life is
        or will always be good in Canada but if you prepare yourself you
        will make a successful journey. I give you another site where people
        come to share their experience. I don't know if you speak French but
        the site is written in French. www.immigrer.com
        I read on this site some happy story every day even for people who
        are not even in the IT field. They succeed easily in Quebec. If you
        are planning to immigrate to Quebec and you don't know french I will
        advise you to start working on it to overcome your language barrier.
        In my case I am fluent in both French and English and I am in IT
        field but I don't take that for granted. I am doing research on
        Quebec so that when I arrive there I don't waste time or get
        surprises.

        Be strong and faithful in what you choose to do.

        Take care,

        --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Venura Perera
        <venura_perera@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        then you
        > can make your decision.
        > If you have anything in particular just write to me, and
        hopefully I will be
        > able to write to you with details.
        > If you want to call me my
        > Home phone number is (********)and
        > Cell No*********
        > NOTE: I will be away for 2 weeks from Nov 21st until Dec 6th
        2005 as I am
        > going to Australia as I have got my PR status over there. I was
        told that
        > the IT market in Aus is not that bad. You may try Australia
        instead of
        > Canada too. Just a suggestion.
        > That's all for now, and please do not hesitate to write to me if
        you have
        > any questions.
        > Give my regards to Azhar if you meet him or speak to him.

      • Antonio Paes
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
          I must agree.

          Just a correction. If you are in Montreal, you don't need French. Many jobs
          in IT are english jobs - USA is outsoursing a lot to here.

          Also, all my friends who came here speaking english or french well and had
          good experience, especially working for well know companies
          (multinationals), got their jobs in less than 2 months.

          So, as Michel said, it depends on how adaptable and prepared people are.
          Take your time and come when you feel ready.

          Regards,

          Antonio

        • Michel Aho
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
            Thanks Antonio,

            I do agree with you on Montreal but at some point you will need french to move around within Quebec and I have to. I guess that is one of the requirement to make a successful integration within the Quebec province. But at least knowing English is already a good advantage.
            I do also appreciate you citing your friends examples that got their jobs within 2 months. At the end of the day if you are really prepared you will not have a major problem.
            One point I like to bring up too is the guy who wrote the statement about renting a basement appartment for a price of ???, I think this dude does not know what he was getting into. I have a site that I use to check on the prices for the appartment so that I can budget that in my expenses for the first month when I got there. That site is: www.immigrer.com
            They have a section where people post about appartment. I have another site but this one (www.ifind.ca) is currently down.

            Antonio, I think people assume that because they want to immigrate every thing will come to them. We have many search engines on the net people can use to look for whatever they want. That is one big advantage. In my case I have a couple of friends in Montreal but I don't rely on them for my information. I conduct my own researches.

            Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this

            Best regards

          • Altintas Erdal
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
              Although I have not been to Quebec yet I lived in the
              USA and in Europe and my experience is that if you are
              good enough you can always have a good job in any part
              of the world. And if you are not good enough you can
              not be successful in any part of the world.

              I also think that the life will not be easy in Canada,
              but is the life easy in Sri Lanka? in India? in
              Russia? in Turkey? It may be easier to survive in your
              home country since it is your native country, but I do
              not think that it is easy to have an equal quality of
              life in your home country as in Canada. For example ok
              you may have a better job in Sri Lanka, but how much
              an average IT specialist earns in Sri Lanka? More than
              a taxi driver in Canada or not? Some says the health
              system in Canada has collapsed. It may be true to some
              extent but is the health system in Russia is much
              better? Some others says that the climate of Canada is
              very bad. It may be true but the weather is not
              perfect in every part of the world and I think at
              least the homes of Canadians are warmer than the homes
              of people in Turkey where energy prices are higher and
              the purchasing power is much lower than Canada.

              I accept that most probably your relative place in the
              society will be lower in Canada, but will your
              children have better opportunities in your home
              country? Will you drive better cars in your home
              country? The city in which you live currently has
              better infrastructure than Montreal? I think your
              answers to these kind of questions determine whether
              you want to immigrate or not. And I think the answers
              to these questions make people stay in Canada even
              though they could not find the life they expected in
              Canada. So you should answer your own questions.
              Nobody else can ask your questions and answer them for
              you.

              === message truncated ===

              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • T. B.
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
                Are we really getting into this pointless discussion again???

                gimme a break!

                Guys do your thing, take care of your own lives...follow ur
                objectives...period. Everybody's lives is different so mind your own.

                T.
              • Denis
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
                  --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "T. B." <tati5001@h...> wrote:

                  > Are we really getting into this pointless discussion again???
                  >
                  > gimme a break!

                  Discussions are pointless when you know everything.
                • Venura Perera
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 17, 2005
                    Thank you guys ,I really was able to make my path clear and strong.

                    Denis <sneigeow@...> wrote:
                    --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "T. B." <tati5001@h...> wrote:

                    > Are we really getting into this pointless discussion again???
                    >
                    > gimme a break!

                    Discussions are pointless when you know everything.

                    Us immigration and naturalization Immigration and naturalization Us immigration and naturalization service Immigration and naturalization service Federal government labor law Federal government labor law poster

                  • michel_aho
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                      I guess our discussion helps our friend clear his mind. Can we say
                      that discussion was pointless? I don't think so. It just shed more
                      light on a topic that is important to all of us, reason we join our
                      group.
                      If you can't contribute to the debate positively it is much better to
                      lay low and watch people do it. Debate is always good for society. For
                      future reference before jumping to conclusion you need to know all the
                      facts about what is being debated.

                      Take care,

                      wrote:

                      > Are we really getting into this pointless discussion again???
                      >
                      > gimme a break!
                      >
                      > Guys do your thing, take care of your own lives...follow ur
                      > objectives...period. Everybody's lives is different so mind your own.
                      >
                      > T.

                    • michel_aho
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                        I am sending you this message again in case you did not understand it.
                        Someone yesterday was saying that discussions are pointless if you
                        know everything. He is right. But since you don't know every thing and
                        that is the reason why we are all in this group to share information,
                        our discussions can not be pointless. So you argument finally does not
                        hold at all and just cool down my friend.

                        --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Denis" <sneigeow@y...>

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                          I understood your point, but i just don't care, and you shouldn't either
                          since u made really clear on ur email to me that I'm stupid and narrow
                          minded. so as I said to u before...if u r happy, then it's all good.

                          T.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                            Ok, end of the game.

                            I am glad you understood my point and I will avoid addressing in the future.

                            Take care buddy!

                            "T. B." <tati5001@...> a écrit :
                            I understood your point, but i just don't care, and you shouldn't either
                            since u made really clear on ur email to me that I'm stupid and narrow
                            minded. so as I said to u before...if u r happy, then it's all good.

                            T.

                            >From: "michel_aho" <michel_aho@...>
                            >To: immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [ImmigrationQuebec] To our good Friend T.B
                            >Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:37:30 -0000
                            >
                            >I am sending you this message again in case you did not understand it.
                            >Someone yesterday was saying that discussions are pointless if you
                            >know everything. He is right. But since you don't know every thing and
                            >that is the reason why we are all in this group to share information,
                            >our discussions can not be pointless. So you argument finally does not
                            >hold at all and just cool down my friend.
                            >

                            >--- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "Denis" <sneigeow@y...>
                            >wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "T. B." <tati5001@h...>
                            >wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > Are we really getting into this pointless discussion again???
                            > > >
                            > > > gimme a break!
                            > >
                            > > Discussions are pointless when you know everything.

                            Us immigration and naturalization Immigration and naturalization Us immigration and naturalization service Immigration and naturalization service Federal government labor law Federal government labor law poster

                          • sskif
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                              I think there are several things contributed to your friends's letter.
                              First - adoptation problems. The first year is the hardest (
                              especially after first 6 months). I remember myself back several
                              years ago and I recall I wanted to go back. And I did have a job as a
                              programmer.

                              Second, it seems like your friend got caught into a loop. Since the
                              money became tight he had to take "any" job to support himself and
                              that job does not leave him enough time to search for a "real" job.
                              It's important not to give up and keep working on yourself. And it's
                              much harder to do than just go with the flow and keep working as taxi
                              driver/pizza delivery/whatever.

                              Hope that helps a little.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                                Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience. That is what we need in this group. Helping each other by sharing information and discussing a particular subject related to immigration to Quebec.

                                Thanks again.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                                  Well, this is rather topic for another group "settlinginquebec" but
                                  since we started here let's keep it here.

                                  I wanted to elaborate on how important the resume is, especially
                                  when scoring the first job in Canada. A lot of immigrants don't know
                                  how to write a good resume and get frustrated that nobody calls them
                                  after they apply for position.
                                  Writing a good resume is hard and can take from couple of days to
                                  a week. Sometimes it is advisable that one seaks a help from
                                  professional resume writer.

                                  Here is why it's so important: usually the resume gets 2
                                  screenings. First - how well it fits the job description and how
                                  well it written. If it fails at this stage, it will go to the
                                  shredder and the time you spent writing it will be wasted. If you
                                  have inconsistencies in your resume, it will go to shredder.

                                  Always do a little research about company you are sending resume
                                  to. A short personalized cover letter usually helps a lot, if it's
                                  backed up by good CV.

                                  I've been in position of hiring couple of times and I can't tell
                                  you how much junk we get for CVs. Usually company preffers to hire
                                  somebody with recomendation, a person with referrences from people
                                  known to the company. If the position is going for open market, it's
                                  always a gamble. Even perfect resume can turn out into totaly
                                  incompetent person or very knoledgeable guy can prove himself to be
                                  impossible to work with. Keep that in mind and you should have much
                                  less problems getting your job in Canada.

                                  --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Michel Aho
                                  <michel_aho@y...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience. That is
                                  what we need in this group. Helping each other by sharing
                                  information and discussing a particular subject related to
                                  immigration to Quebec.

                                  > Thanks again.
                                  >
                                  > sskif <sskif@y...> a écrit :
                                  > I think there are several things contributed to your friends's
                                  letter.
                                  > First - adoptation problems. The first year is the hardest (
                                  > especially after first 6 months). I remember myself back several
                                  > years ago and I recall I wanted to go back. And I did have a job
                                  as a
                                  > programmer.
                                  >
                                  > Second, it seems like your friend got caught into a loop. Since
                                  the
                                  > money became tight he had to take "any" job to support himself and
                                  > that job does not leave him enough time to search for a "real"
                                  job.
                                  > It's important not to give up and keep working on yourself. And
                                  it's
                                  > much harder to do than just go with the flow and keep working as
                                  taxi
                                  > driver/pizza delivery/whatever.
                                  >
                                  > Hope that helps a little.
                                  >
                                  > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Venura Perera
                                  > <venura_perera@y...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi all,
                                  > > One of my friends wrote to me following regarding life in
                                  > Canada , Is this what you all feel???? Or in short is this the
                                  > general opinion??

                                  > Us immigration and naturalization Immigration and
                                  naturalization Us immigration and naturalization service
                                  Immigration and naturalization service Federal government labor
                                  law Federal government labor law poster

                                  Service.

                                • Michel Aho
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 18, 2005
                                    Thanks man!

                                    That is what we need here. Someone who can share his experience and advises other people. I lack of words to thank you enough. If you have more tips just throw them out on the board and we will read. I am quite disturbed that some people wanted to shut down the discussion. If we did not have this discussion we will not get all those tips you are feeding us with. Just bring them on and we will read them.

                                    <michel_aho@y...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience. That is
                                    what we need in this group. Helping each other by sharing
                                    information and discussing a particular subject related to
                                    immigration to Quebec.

                                    > Thanks again.
                                    >
                                    > sskif <sskif@y...> a écrit :
                                    > I think there are several things contributed to your friends's
                                    letter.
                                    > First - adoptation problems. The first year is the hardest (
                                    > especially after first 6 months). I remember myself back several
                                    > years ago and I recall I wanted to go back. And I did have a job
                                    as a
                                    > programmer.
                                    >
                                    > Second, it seems like your friend got caught into a loop. Since
                                    the
                                    > money became tight he had to take "any" job to support himself and
                                    > that job does not leave him enough time to search for a "real"
                                    job.
                                    > It's important not to give up and keep working on yourself. And
                                    it's
                                    > much harder to do than just go with the flow and keep working as
                                    taxi
                                    > driver/pizza delivery/whatever.
                                    >
                                    > Hope that helps a little.
                                    >
                                    > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Venura Perera
                                    > <venura_perera@y...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi all,
                                    > > One of my friends wrote to me following regarding life in
                                    > Canada , Is this what you all feel???? Or in short is this the
                                    > general opinion??

                                    > Us immigration and naturalization Immigration and
                                    naturalization Us immigration and naturalization service
                                    Immigration and naturalization service Federal government labor
                                    law Federal government labor law poster

                                    Service.

                                    Us immigration and naturalization Immigration and naturalization Us immigration and naturalization service Immigration and naturalization service Federal government labor law Federal government labor law poster

                                  • Arthur
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 22, 2005
                                      Hello

                                      I believe that You are right Michel.
                                      1. I think Venura should talk with other people also, who has success
                                      in Canada, talk with people in same domain of profession. And just
                                      compare the knowledgebase, education, professional experience, and
                                      after make a decision. I agree that immigration is not for fun and
                                      immigrants should be prepared for UPs and DOWNs. Also the French is
                                      most important factor in getting job there, for example if one get
                                      hired in a company and if chief say something will not repeat that the
                                      second time, but after he will fire the employee.
                                      2. So for example for Quebec need to practice French especially the
                                      oral comprehension, if practice a lot that will save You a lot of time
                                      to get job.
                                      Venura why You think most people are not able to get their job in
                                      first 6 months - most because of language barrier.

                                      Good luck!

                                      One question to You Michel, can I be aware if how are You preparing to
                                      get a good job there, in Quebec? Or You are getting some certificates
                                      (Microsoft, etc)?

                                      With Best Regards
                                      Artur