Help: Quebec-Immigration French required?

  • baigimranm
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2005
      Hi,

      I applied for Qubec immigration almost an year ago. At the time of
      application there were no sigsn about French language necessary. Now
      after 1 year I received a letter from NY office that French language
      us necessary. I don't want to learn a new language now.

      Any help in this regard will be appreciated. If someone has gone
      through this experience and share that.

      Thanks
      Imran
    • Denis
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
        Imran,

        French is very necessary if you apply through Quebec. When you are
        invited for the interview to NYC office, they will sure check your
        ability to speak it and your desire to learn it.

        You should have applied through Federal program (not Quebec) then,
        which is still very well in your options.

        Good luck.
        Denis

        --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "baigimranm"
        <baigimranm@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I applied for Qubec immigration almost an year ago. At the time of
        > application there were no sigsn about French language necessary. Now
        > after 1 year I received a letter from NY office that French language
        > us necessary. I don't want to learn a new language now.
        >
        > Any help in this regard will be appreciated. If someone has gone
        > through this experience and share that.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Imran
      • Imran Baig
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
          Hi Denis,

          Thank you for quick response. At the time of
          application someone told me that at this moment french

          is not required. Before applying, I also visited
          Quebec and canadian government websites but both
          websites didn't provide any information about
          mandatory french language. Even I filled Quebec's
          online evaluation form and it show my as qualified for
          immigration.

          Anyhow, thanks again for your response.

          Best Regards
          Imran

          --- Denis <sneigeow@...> wrote:

          > Imran,
          >
          > French is very necessary if you apply through
          > Quebec. When you are
          > invited for the interview to NYC office, they will
          > sure check your
          > ability to speak it and your desire to learn it.
          >
          > You should have applied through Federal program (not
          > Quebec) then,
          > which is still very well in your options.
          >
          > Good luck.
          > Denis
          >
          > --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com,
          > "baigimranm"
          > <baigimranm@y...> wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I applied for Qubec immigration almost an year
          > ago. At the time of
          > > application there were no sigsn about French
          > language necessary. Now
          > > after 1 year I received a letter from NY office
          > that French language
          > > us necessary. I don't want to learn a new language
          > now.
          > >
          > > Any help in this regard will be appreciated. If
          > someone has gone
          > > through this experience and share that.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Imran

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Denis
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
            Imran,

            It is not a "hard" requirement. I also filled the same evaluation a
            little more than a year ago, and passed with zero knowledge of
            French. Since then I've been learning it. You will need French if you
            plan to settle in Quebec. You will also need it to convince Quebec
            consulate in NYC (if they ask for the interview) that you want to be
            in Quebec. At that moment you do not have to be able to speak very
            good French. You are still fine if these are your intentions.
            Otherwise, I am afraid, you should resubmit through Federal program.

            Good luck.
            Denis

            --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, Imran Baig

          • Imran Baig
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2005
              Denis,

              I am willing to learn french but I am afraid that even
              after learning french there is no guarantee for
              immigration. Also I visited canadian government
              website and found some immigration statistics.
              Statistics for Quebec suggest that they selected
              almost 10,000 english speaking immigrants and almost
              11,000 french speaking immigration for the year 2004.

              I am planning for apply for federal program but at the
              same time I want to make sure what happened to me
              shouldn't happen to anyone else. If quebec needs
              french speaking candidates then that should be
              mentioned in their application forms. So that people
              only make educated decision and don't wait 1 year to
              know that they are required to learn french.

              Thanks
              Imran

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • ealtinta
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
                Imran,

                I think what is important is not whether you speak French or not, what
                is important is your willingness to learn French, because the main
                priority of Quebec in selecting new immigrants is conserving their own
                French identity. They need immigrants for their economy and they can
                not find enough qualified immigrants among the French speaking
                applicants. Because of this reason they do not impose this requirement
                as a hard constraint, and try to understand the ability and
                willingness of an English speaking immigrant to learn French during
                the interview.

                Now do not forget that French is very very important for Quebec
                government and if they have to choose between accepting English
                speaking immigrants who will not learn French and who will decrease
                the proportion of French speaking people in Quebec, and accepting less
                immigrants than they need, they would definetly choose the second one.
                So do not trust on your skills and bright background in attending an
                interview and learn at least a basic level of French. If you go there
                without understanding even a word of French, you will definitely be
                eliminated.

                Another point is that what you write in your application and your
                level of French should coincide. If your write there that you have a
                basic level of French, then you should have a basic level of French,
                otherwise it would be a problem.

                Let me tell you my experience, I had a very strong application,
                including a good level of French. However my wife could not speak even
                a word of French, although she can speak English very good. Then
                during the interview the interviewer tried to speak with her in
                English and asked very very simple questions like her name, but she
                had not even learned those simple phrases. At the end they told us
                that they could give us a QSC only if my wife learns a basic level of
                French. Then she attended a course and we sent an attendance
                certificate at the end and then we could be able to get our QSC.

                So the main point is not whether you can speak French or not, the main
                point is your willingness to speak French. However do not forget that
                without an intermediate level of French the life would be really hard
                in Quebec and at least theoretically it could be a problem if you
                leave Quebec without living there for around one year. So I think you
                should consider learning French if you want to apply through Quebec.

                Erdal

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
                  Hi Erdal,

                  Thanks for the detailed response. I filed with my wife
                  and two kids. I can understand that there most of
                  people speak french. Only question I have is, if they
                  make it hard and fast requirement then they should
                  make a part of their forms. Also as I said there is no
                  guarantee of immigration even if a learn french.

                  If they have sent a letter that they have evaluated my
                  case and everything is fine and only thing remaining
                  is french then I can go for it.

                  Thanks again for your detailed comments.

                  Best Regards
                  Imran

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs