Re: [immigrationquebec] Re: Another letter [help]

  • Max Pilipis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
      You know, the other day I was talking to this gay american guy friend of mine, and I was telling him that I'll be goddamn pissed at my government If I were one.

      I mean, your tax dollars are as good as those from heterosexual people, so curious George can continue to build weapons of world domination .

      Anyways, it is sadly true that this country has changed a lot, and not for good. The other day, this friend of mine, (who's not from a minority group like us, he's a WASP christian doctor with a VP title in a big hospital conglomerate), was telling me that was ashamed as how he has been treated on the customs when he got back from italy, and how Bush and the rest of the mob was behaving internationally.

      Anyways, It is not my intention to start an american bashing contest, nor a political discussion, but let us hope that the next president is a democrat one

      Max

      Wesley Cannon <wncannon@...> wrote:
      I am a gay American male and my partner is Yugoslavian.  He and I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about whether he would be deported thanks to the lovely economic state our highly intelligent (haha!) president has put us in.  I have always wanted to live in a different country, although I love my home country very much.  Sadly, it is true, the US is changing, and not for the better.  I have studied French for over 8 years and love the francophone culture.  My partner and I made a decision to immigrate to Quebec so that we could live (and marry) with some peace of mind and not worry whether he would be deported once he lost his job.  The immigration process in this country needs a lot of renovation.  That is our story.  So, don't be so shocked when someone wants to go the Quebec to start a life.

      Wes

      Max Pilipis <maxez@...> wrote:
      I hear you.... I'm not arab, I'm from South America, and latelly, I have found myself not welcome a lot of times too.

      No offense to americans. I mean, I have tons of friends here, but the atmosphere for immigrants is getting really rare...

      The other thing is this ignorant/stupid notion that H1B holders are stealing jobs from americans.... do these people have any idea how many jobs per year are shipped to India, ireland, etc... by "American" Senior Management?

      Anyways, this is a forum to talk immigration to Quebec, sorry about this short lapsus...

      CLARIVOYANT: If we both get the GC to quebec, we can get together for a beer there, we might even do something together on the IT field. :)

      Thanks,
      Max

      Do people have any idea

      clairvoyant316 <aryobw@...> wrote:
      It started on 09/11/2001. I have been "the usual suspect"of
      narrow minded Americans (sadly make up of 73% of the population). On
      09/13/2001, someone sprayed paint my car "Go home, savage." I
      sometime wonder if one day the USDOJ [with the blessing of Mr. GWB]
      will ship my rear end to some sort of labour camp.

      Statistically, it took me 4 minutes to clear Canadian/Quebec customs
      at Dorval Airport as a visitor. On the other hand, I always get
      hassled on my way back to the US as a green card holder. The infamous
      profiling question they would ask "Are you Moslem???"
      Although I am a Christian, the question is still very highly
      prejudiced.I don't blame them when we have to deal with National
      Security but it is a wake up call that I am not welcomed anymore and
      it's time to move on.

      I visited Montreal and Gatineau areas frequently for business trips
      back when I worked for Maxus (Halliburton and Enron subsidiary). I
      don't have any family or ties to Quebec but I like the area and
      people in general.
      Based on my experience, people in Quebec are very nice and friendly.
      I went on vacation last Christmas/New Year in Montreal and I enjoyed
      it.
      Unlike the rest of Canada, many parts of Quebec haven't been
      Americanized/capitalized that much. No offense to Americans here.
      IT jobs may be hard to find in Quebec but I have several contract
      consulting jobs in the states so I am not very concerned about
      finding a job there.

      --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "nvishwesh"
      <nvishwesh@y...> wrote:
      > Clairvoyant,
      >
      > If you have a US GC as you mentioned, why are you interested at all
      > in 'French Speaking' Quebec of all the places and not the anglais
      > speaking Canada?  Better yet, why do you even want the Canadian GC
      >at all?? I am assuming you have no ties or family in Quebec....

    • Eugen Caruntu
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 4, 2003
        If you'll read this you will see that CSIS don't check
        with other countries for backround checks, only if
        they obtain themselves the clearence from specific
        countries from which they advise you not to obtain PCC
        (for Buffalo this countries are: irak, India... read
        below)

        So CSIS will searc in generaly only if your name
        apear in their database as a terrorist or a spion
        (espionage)

        If yoyr contry is one of those who is in a "black
        list" then they will check deeper... contacting that
        country
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Security (Police and Background) Clearance

        Each applicant for a Canadian Immigrant Visa, aged 18
        or over, is required to prove that he or she has no
        criminal record. Police clearance certificates or
        certificates of non-criminal activity, as they are
        sometimes referred to, must be obtained from the
        country of current residence and from each country in
        which the applicant has resided for more than 6 months
        since his or her 18th birthday. Police clearance
        certificates are considered valid for a period of 6
        months and they usually can be obtained through law
        enforcement offices or other government agencies. In
        extenuating circumstances Canadian visa offices will
        waive the requirement to submit police clearance
        certificates.

        All potential immigrants to Canada must also undergo a
        background clearance to weed out those who have been
        or are involved in espionage, subversion or terrorism.
        This is to ensure that the safety and order of
        Canadian society are maintained and protected. Such
        security screening decisions are made based on
        information from every available source, which is then
        carefully weighed to determine whether an applicant is
        likely to threaten the internal security of Canada.
        When there is an indication of security concerns an
        interview will be scheduled to discuss these findings
        with the applicant. Anyone who poses such a threat
        must necessarily be prevented from entering Canada.

        Please note that there is a clear distinction between
        the police clearance certificate, which the applicant
        is required to obtain, and the background clearance,
        in which the applicant for the most part is not
        actively involved

        from: http://canadavisa.com/documents/sec_buf.htm

        The following information is quoted from the
        application kit issued by the Buffalo Immigration
        Regional Programme Centre (RPC). This information does
        not necessarily apply to applications processed at
        other Canadian visa offices.

        Buffalo RPC recognizes that persons WHO ARE NOT
        RESIDENT in the following countries will not be able
        to obtain police certificates:

        Albania, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Comoros, Czech Rep.,
        Ethiopia, Kuwait, Morocco, Paraguay, Surinam, United
        Arab Emirates, Yemen.

        Do not attempt to obtain police certificates from the
        following countries. Buffalo RPC will inquire on your
        behalf:

        Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso,
        Burundi, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad,
        Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guam,
        Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Haiti, India, Iraq, Ivory
        Coast, Kampuchea, Korea (South), Laos, Liberia, Mali,
        Mauritania, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, New
        Zealand, Niger, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Rwanda,
        Sao Tome E Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra
        Leone, Somali, Sudan, Togo, Venezuela, Zaire.

        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
        from:
        http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/annual/2002-2003/sec2c_e.html

        Nature of CSIS Advice to CIC
        The Service's security screening assessments are
        provided as advice to CIC in one of four forms:

        No Reportable Trace (NRT)-a report given to CIC when
        the Service has no adverse information on the
        immigration applicant.

        Inadmissible Brief-advice provided when the Service
        has concluded, based on information available to it,
        that the applicant meets the criteria outlined in the
        security provisions of the Immigration and Refugee
        Protection Act.

        Information Brief-advice provided by CSIS that it has
        information that the applicant is or was involved in
        activities as described in the security provisions of
        the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, but that
        it is of the opinion that the applicant does not fall
        into the class of persons deemed to be inadmissible
        under the Act.

        Incidental Letter-provided to CIC when the Service has
        information that the applicant is or was involved in
        non-security-related activities described in the
        Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (for example,
        war crimes or organized criminal activity) or any
        other matter of relevance to the performance of duty
        by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, as set
        out in section 14( b) of the CSIS Act.

        Immigration Security Screening Programs
        Under the authority of sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS
        Act, the Service conducts security screening
        investigations and provides advice to the Minister of
        Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Generally
        speaking, the Service's assistance takes the form of
        information-sharing on matters concerning threats to
        the security of Canada as defined in section 2 of the
        CSIS Act and the form of "assessments" with respect to
        the inadmissibility classes of the Immigration and
        Refugee Protection Act.

        Immigration requests for security screening resulted
        in 445 briefs from CSIS to CIC-242 information briefs
        and 203 inadmissible briefs. Of those requests, the
        median time required for a "no reportable trace" (NRT)
        was 57 days, for an information brief 400 days and for
        an inadmissible brief 461 days. For the year previous,
        the median figures were 55 days, 401 days and 498
        days, respectively.

        Unlike previous years, the Service reported on
        citizenship applications as a separate category. An
        information brief with respect to a citizenship
        application took a median time of 129 days.

        During fiscal year 2002-2003, the Service provided 87
        update letters (updates to briefs) and 22 incidental
        letters to CIC.

        Applications for Permanent Residence from Within
        Canada
        The Service has the sole responsibility for screening
        immigrants and refugees who apply for permanent
        residence status from within Canada. In 2002-2003 the
        Service received 33, 837 such screening requests. Of
        these requests, 21, 950 were immigration applications
        and 11, 887 came through the Refugee Determination
        Program.

        According to the statistical information provided by
        the Service, the time required for the Service to
        issue a recommendation on an immigration application
        varies considerably depending on how the application
        was filed. Those applications filed using the
        Electronic Data Exchange from within Canada took a
        median of 45 days, and electronic filings within the
        Refugee Determination Program took 55 days. For those
        applications filed on paper, the median turnaround
        time for immigration applications from within Canada
        was 70 days; for applications from the U. S. it was
        150 days, and for paper applications from within the
        Refugee Determination program 94 days.

        Application for Permanent Residence from Outside
        Canada
        Immigration and refugee applications for permanent
        residence that originate outside Canada or the United
        States are managed by the Overseas Immigrant Screening
        Program under which the Service shares responsibility
        for security screening with CIC officials based
        abroad. Generally, CSIS only becomes involved in the
        screening process either upon being requested to do so
        by the Immigration Program Manager or upon receiving
        adverse information about a case from established
        sources. CSIS reports that this division of labour
        allows the Service to concentrate on higher-risk
        cases.

        In 2002-2003, the Service received 23, 691 requests to
        screen refugee and immigration applications initiated
        outside Canada. Of these, CSIS reported that 6776 were
        referred to Security Liaison Officers (SLOs) for
        consultation, marginally fewer than the year previous.

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree