Re: [immigrationquebec] Re: Another letter [help]

  • Wesley Cannon
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
      I am a gay American male and my partner is Yugoslavian.  He and I have spent many sleepless nights worrying about whether he would be deported thanks to the lovely economic state our highly intelligent (haha!) president has put us in.  I have always wanted to live in a different country, although I love my home country very much.  Sadly, it is true, the US is changing, and not for the better.  I have studied French for over 8 years and love the francophone culture.  My partner and I made a decision to immigrate to Quebec so that we could live (and marry) with some peace of mind and not worry whether he would be deported once he lost his job.  The immigration process in this country needs a lot of renovation.  That is our story.  So, don't be so shocked when someone wants to go the Quebec to start a life.

      Wes

      Max Pilipis <maxez@...> wrote:
      I hear you.... I'm not arab, I'm from South America, and latelly, I have found myself not welcome a lot of times too.

      No offense to americans. I mean, I have tons of friends here, but the atmosphere for immigrants is getting really rare...

      The other thing is this ignorant/stupid notion that H1B holders are stealing jobs from americans.... do these people have any idea how many jobs per year are shipped to India, ireland, etc... by "American" Senior Management?

      Anyways, this is a forum to talk immigration to Quebec, sorry about this short lapsus...

      CLARIVOYANT: If we both get the GC to quebec, we can get together for a beer there, we might even do something together on the IT field. :)

      Thanks,
      Max

      Do people have any idea

      clairvoyant316 <aryobw@...> wrote:
      It started on 09/11/2001. I have been "the usual suspect"of
      narrow minded Americans (sadly make up of 73% of the population). On
      09/13/2001, someone sprayed paint my car "Go home, savage." I
      sometime wonder if one day the USDOJ [with the blessing of Mr. GWB]
      will ship my rear end to some sort of labour camp.

      Statistically, it took me 4 minutes to clear Canadian/Quebec customs
      at Dorval Airport as a visitor. On the other hand, I always get
      hassled on my way back to the US as a green card holder. The infamous
      profiling question they would ask "Are you Moslem???"
      Although I am a Christian, the question is still very highly
      prejudiced.I don't blame them when we have to deal with National
      Security but it is a wake up call that I am not welcomed anymore and
      it's time to move on.

      I visited Montreal and Gatineau areas frequently for business trips
      back when I worked for Maxus (Halliburton and Enron subsidiary). I
      don't have any family or ties to Quebec but I like the area and
      people in general.
      Based on my experience, people in Quebec are very nice and friendly.
      I went on vacation last Christmas/New Year in Montreal and I enjoyed
      it.
      Unlike the rest of Canada, many parts of Quebec haven't been
      Americanized/capitalized that much. No offense to Americans here.
      IT jobs may be hard to find in Quebec but I have several contract
      consulting jobs in the states so I am not very concerned about
      finding a job there.

      --- In immigrationquebec@yahoogroups.com, "nvishwesh"
      <nvishwesh@y...> wrote:
      > Clairvoyant,
      >
      > If you have a US GC as you mentioned, why are you interested at all
      > in 'French Speaking' Quebec of all the places and not the anglais
      > speaking Canada?  Better yet, why do you even want the Canadian GC
      >at all?? I am assuming you have no ties or family in Quebec....

    • Max Pilipis
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
        You know, the other day I was talking to this gay american guy friend of mine, and I was telling him that I'll be goddamn pissed at my government If I were one.

        I mean, your tax dollars are as good as those from heterosexual people, so curious George can continue to build weapons of world domination .

        Anyways, it is sadly true that this country has changed a lot, and not for good. The other day, this friend of mine, (who's not from a minority group like us, he's a WASP christian doctor with a VP title in a big hospital conglomerate), was telling me that was ashamed as how he has been treated on the customs when he got back from italy, and how Bush and the rest of the mob was behaving internationally.

        Anyways, It is not my intention to start an american bashing contest, nor a political discussion, but let us hope that the next president is a democrat one

        Max

        <nvishwesh@y...> wrote:
        > Clairvoyant,
        >
        > If you have a US GC as you mentioned, why are you interested at all
        > in 'French Speaking' Quebec of all the places and not the anglais
        > speaking Canada?  Better yet, why do you even want the Canadian GC
        >at all?? I am assuming you have no ties or family in Quebec....

      • Eugen Caruntu
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 4, 2003
          If you'll read this you will see that CSIS don't check
          with other countries for backround checks, only if
          they obtain themselves the clearence from specific
          countries from which they advise you not to obtain PCC
          (for Buffalo this countries are: irak, India... read
          below)

          So CSIS will searc in generaly only if your name
          apear in their database as a terrorist or a spion
          (espionage)

          If yoyr contry is one of those who is in a "black
          list" then they will check deeper... contacting that
          country
          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
          Security (Police and Background) Clearance

          Each applicant for a Canadian Immigrant Visa, aged 18
          or over, is required to prove that he or she has no
          criminal record. Police clearance certificates or
          certificates of non-criminal activity, as they are
          sometimes referred to, must be obtained from the
          country of current residence and from each country in
          which the applicant has resided for more than 6 months
          since his or her 18th birthday. Police clearance
          certificates are considered valid for a period of 6
          months and they usually can be obtained through law
          enforcement offices or other government agencies. In
          extenuating circumstances Canadian visa offices will
          waive the requirement to submit police clearance
          certificates.

          All potential immigrants to Canada must also undergo a
          background clearance to weed out those who have been
          or are involved in espionage, subversion or terrorism.
          This is to ensure that the safety and order of
          Canadian society are maintained and protected. Such
          security screening decisions are made based on
          information from every available source, which is then
          carefully weighed to determine whether an applicant is
          likely to threaten the internal security of Canada.
          When there is an indication of security concerns an
          interview will be scheduled to discuss these findings
          with the applicant. Anyone who poses such a threat
          must necessarily be prevented from entering Canada.

          Please note that there is a clear distinction between
          the police clearance certificate, which the applicant
          is required to obtain, and the background clearance,
          in which the applicant for the most part is not
          actively involved

          from: http://canadavisa.com/documents/sec_buf.htm

          The following information is quoted from the
          application kit issued by the Buffalo Immigration
          Regional Programme Centre (RPC). This information does
          not necessarily apply to applications processed at
          other Canadian visa offices.

          Buffalo RPC recognizes that persons WHO ARE NOT
          RESIDENT in the following countries will not be able
          to obtain police certificates:

          Albania, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Comoros, Czech Rep.,
          Ethiopia, Kuwait, Morocco, Paraguay, Surinam, United
          Arab Emirates, Yemen.

          Do not attempt to obtain police certificates from the
          following countries. Buffalo RPC will inquire on your
          behalf:

          Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso,
          Burundi, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad,
          Congo, Cuba, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guam,
          Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Haiti, India, Iraq, Ivory
          Coast, Kampuchea, Korea (South), Laos, Liberia, Mali,
          Mauritania, Mexico, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, New
          Zealand, Niger, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Rwanda,
          Sao Tome E Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra
          Leone, Somali, Sudan, Togo, Venezuela, Zaire.

          :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;
          from:
          http://www.sirc-csars.gc.ca/annual/2002-2003/sec2c_e.html

          Nature of CSIS Advice to CIC
          The Service's security screening assessments are
          provided as advice to CIC in one of four forms:

          No Reportable Trace (NRT)-a report given to CIC when
          the Service has no adverse information on the
          immigration applicant.

          Inadmissible Brief-advice provided when the Service
          has concluded, based on information available to it,
          that the applicant meets the criteria outlined in the
          security provisions of the Immigration and Refugee
          Protection Act.

          Information Brief-advice provided by CSIS that it has
          information that the applicant is or was involved in
          activities as described in the security provisions of
          the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, but that
          it is of the opinion that the applicant does not fall
          into the class of persons deemed to be inadmissible
          under the Act.

          Incidental Letter-provided to CIC when the Service has
          information that the applicant is or was involved in
          non-security-related activities described in the
          Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (for example,
          war crimes or organized criminal activity) or any
          other matter of relevance to the performance of duty
          by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, as set
          out in section 14( b) of the CSIS Act.

          Immigration Security Screening Programs
          Under the authority of sections 14 and 15 of the CSIS
          Act, the Service conducts security screening
          investigations and provides advice to the Minister of
          Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Generally
          speaking, the Service's assistance takes the form of
          information-sharing on matters concerning threats to
          the security of Canada as defined in section 2 of the
          CSIS Act and the form of "assessments" with respect to
          the inadmissibility classes of the Immigration and
          Refugee Protection Act.

          Immigration requests for security screening resulted
          in 445 briefs from CSIS to CIC-242 information briefs
          and 203 inadmissible briefs. Of those requests, the
          median time required for a "no reportable trace" (NRT)
          was 57 days, for an information brief 400 days and for
          an inadmissible brief 461 days. For the year previous,
          the median figures were 55 days, 401 days and 498
          days, respectively.

          Unlike previous years, the Service reported on
          citizenship applications as a separate category. An
          information brief with respect to a citizenship
          application took a median time of 129 days.

          During fiscal year 2002-2003, the Service provided 87
          update letters (updates to briefs) and 22 incidental
          letters to CIC.

          Applications for Permanent Residence from Within
          Canada
          The Service has the sole responsibility for screening
          immigrants and refugees who apply for permanent
          residence status from within Canada. In 2002-2003 the
          Service received 33, 837 such screening requests. Of
          these requests, 21, 950 were immigration applications
          and 11, 887 came through the Refugee Determination
          Program.

          According to the statistical information provided by
          the Service, the time required for the Service to
          issue a recommendation on an immigration application
          varies considerably depending on how the application
          was filed. Those applications filed using the
          Electronic Data Exchange from within Canada took a
          median of 45 days, and electronic filings within the
          Refugee Determination Program took 55 days. For those
          applications filed on paper, the median turnaround
          time for immigration applications from within Canada
          was 70 days; for applications from the U. S. it was
          150 days, and for paper applications from within the
          Refugee Determination program 94 days.

          Application for Permanent Residence from Outside
          Canada
          Immigration and refugee applications for permanent
          residence that originate outside Canada or the United
          States are managed by the Overseas Immigrant Screening
          Program under which the Service shares responsibility
          for security screening with CIC officials based
          abroad. Generally, CSIS only becomes involved in the
          screening process either upon being requested to do so
          by the Immigration Program Manager or upon receiving
          adverse information about a case from established
          sources. CSIS reports that this division of labour
          allows the Service to concentrate on higher-risk
          cases.

          In 2002-2003, the Service received 23, 691 requests to
          screen refugee and immigration applications initiated
          outside Canada. Of these, CSIS reported that 6776 were
          referred to Security Liaison Officers (SLOs) for
          consultation, marginally fewer than the year previous.

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree